AVS Forum banner
1 - 20 of 91 Posts

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Has anyone tried Magnum Screens? I am in the market for a new 16:9 screen. The screens from this company look nice, and the price is low. Does anyone know anything about the quality of these screens?

·
Registered
26 Posts
After seeing your post I looked up this company and actually sent them an email. Below is the response that I received.

Good Morning Christopher,

Magnum Screens is, as the song goes, "Just another band out of Boston"

a small Home Theater Screen company in Orlando and Sarasota Fl.

2 years old this spring.

Main sales are 92" and 100" Cinema HD Series Screens ie:
http://cgi.ebay.com/ws/eBayISAPI.dll...STRK:MESELX:IT

As you can see from the add we offer an economical alternative to over rated - over priced

fixed screen market ie:

BestBuy 100" fixed screen @ $899.00
http://www.bestbuy.com/site/Projecta...&skuId=9438806

A 100" Cinema HD Series cost $129.00 and the actual average FedEx shipping is $60.00

(we take a loss on sales to the state of Washington)

The Cinema Series arrives "Factory Assembled" in huge wooden crate 91"x10"10"

you simply slide on and attach the 2 Black Velour side frame rails and the screen's

ready to hang on the wall.

The actual screen material substrate (base material) is an ultra thick 1/16" rigid plastic

with a micro textured (helps defuse ambient light) hardened viewing suface.

Picture an 8ft credit card rolled long wise into a shipping crate, the top and bottom

velour frame rails are factory attached. The screen is Super Tough and impact resistant,

even Wii controller Proof.

The Cinema HD Series has solid frame rails and can accomodate back lighting

(heavy duty rope light) add a dimmer control, it sets a nice indirect lighting mood

to the theater room. We offer that at $35.00 and it ships with the screen.

7 Day return policy, Full refund less shipping cost.

Phone # (386) 561-9550

Hope that helps, if I can be of any other help just let me know.

Thanks Jim

PS: What projector are you thinking of using with this screen?

Seems very enticing and their ebay score is at 100% (I dont' know if that means much) I may try it out.

·
Premium Member
26,240 Posts
Two things scream potential issues:

1) One picks their screen, including size and material based on the projector and enviroment the combo will be mounted. The first thing a company would ask would be what projector (among other questions, but at least this) are you using, THEN here is the proper screen for your needs...instead of here is our screen and btw, what projector are you going to use with our screens?

2) All of the images in their ebay ad....are they products they produce? Or, are the images swiped from other sites and used to sell their screen? They have images of a curved scope screen....but no listing of offering a curved scope screen.

Does this company have a website? A google search didn't bring anything up. There are only two products listed on ebay.

·
Registered
26 Posts
Here is the new email that i received.

Hi Christopher,

If your thinking about the Epson 8100 projector, don't walk - run to the store and buy it!

It is, hands down, the best projector available in the market under $2000

We picked one up for $1500 two weeks ago - The picture quality is stunning!

The Contrast Ratio is 36,000:1 which is the technical reason the picture is so good.

Stay with a white mat screen surface (ours or someone else) with that projector.

The grey material screens are only needed for low Contrast Ratio projectors to help improve

the black level, at a great cost to vivid whites and color accuracy.

The micro-textured surface on the Cinema HD Series helps with ambient light, but there is no

magic screen in the market, except The SI Black Diamond which is $2,600 for the 100" and

physics will always prevail, with it's brighter picture in well lite rooms something has to give, and

with the Diamond it's the viewing cone is greatly reduced.

The 100" Cinema HD Series is the largest size we are able to cost effectively ship with UPS and FedEx.

A couple tips if your new to Home Theater rooms

1) Darker flat paint including the ceiling if possible (the white ceiling will account for 70% of the reflective

light back onto your screen when using the projector.

2) Use HDMI cabling, monoprice.com has great cables at a great price.

3) Have fun and enjoy it!

If I can be of any other help, let me know.

Thanks Jim

Jim

Orlando, Fl Office

www.magnumscreens.com

·
Premium Member
26,240 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by baileymeadows1 /forum/post/18279788

Here is the new email that i received.

Hi Christopher,

If your thinking about the Epson 8100 projector, don't walk - run to the store and buy it!

It is, hands down, the best projector available in the market under $2000

We picked one up for $1500 two weeks ago - The picture quality is stunning!

The Contrast Ratio is 36,000:1 which is the technical reason the picture is so good.

Stay with a white mat screen surface (ours or someone else) with that projector.

The grey material screens are only needed for low Contrast Ratio projectors to help improve

the black level, at a great cost to vivid whites and color accuracy.

The micro-textured surface on the Cinema HD Series helps with ambient light, but there is no

magic screen in the market, except The SI Black Diamond which is $2,600 for the 100" and

physics will always prevail, with it's brighter picture in well lite rooms something has to give, and

with the Diamond it's the viewing cone is greatly reduced.

The 100" Cinema HD Series is the largest size we are able to cost effectively ship with UPS and FedEx.

A couple tips if your new to Home Theater rooms

1) Darker flat paint including the ceiling if possible (the white ceiling will account for 70% of the reflective

light back onto your screen when using the projector.

2) Use HDMI cabling, monoprice.com has great cables at a great price.

3) Have fun and enjoy it!

If I can be of any other help, let me know.

Thanks Jim

Jim

Orlando, Fl Office

www.magnumscreens.com

That email answers my concerns. The only thing that I would be a little concerned about is selling a 16x9 curved screen. The purpose of the curvature is to counter pincushion caused by the use of a anamorphic lens (which is used to create a scope aspect ratio). That combination seems to be counter productive.

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Christopher,

Thanks for doing some research on these screens.

So I have narrowed my choices down to 3.

Magnum Screen

Shoppingdeals (ebay)

Build my own

What do you guys think would be my best bet?

·
Registered
26 Posts
Welcome. I am in the process of shopping around as well to find a screen to use with my Epson 8100 that is going in my family room. i have narrowed it down to:

118" Carada Brilliant white

125" Focupix Fixed Frame (don't know much about this screen are they really good)

If anyone knows of any other screen I should consider let me know.

·
Registered
573 Posts
I just installed a Focopix Elextric pull down and I like it very much, I know your looking at fixed but so far my impression of Focopix and HTDEPOT (who I purchased from) is positive.

·
Registered
64 Posts
Did anything ever come of this? I am in the market for a 100" fixed frame screen, and this one is unlike most screens out there, not to mention a lot cheaper.

Just bought an Epson 8350 and need a good screen to go with it. So... has anyone seen a Magnum screen or bought one?

Todd

·
Registered
441 Posts
Also looking at the 100", I'm wondering if this is a WilsonArt laminate package up nicely with some wood borders......

·
Registered
64 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by sdolen /forum/post/19354277

Also looking at the 100", I'm wondering if this is a WilsonArt laminate package up nicely with some wood borders......

That's what I was thinking also, or some product similar to it. The guy has great reviews on Ebay, and I'm liking the idea of having a hard screen, no ripples, and I'm planning on having kids in the near future, so this may be a better choice.

If no one else chimes in with any info on this, I may just go ahead and get one to try it, it doesn't cost that much. If I do, I'll post a review and screenshots, but it will be a few weeks, theater room isn't finished yet.

·
Registered
105 Posts
Magnum looks very interesting. Not sure if they ship to Canada for me.

I'm wondering which one is their better screen material. Cinema HD with Magnum M2 or Cinema Pro, Theater Pro, Theater Pro Curve with Micro fine 4K? Are they all white or any silver?

What is their Ebay seller name? I can't find them.

·
RETIRED theater builder
36,385 Posts
Many of the images Magnum uses are a direct rip off of Rubens images from SMX. For that reason alone I would not do business with that vendor. There was a thread discussing this a couple of weeks ago.

Adding insult to injury they actually use this image in their marketing material. It happens to be Ruben's personal theater he built in his garage.

Could you really trust this vendor?

·
Registered
105 Posts
They probably don't have a marketing department... Its not an excuse but the screens are so inexpensive for what your getting compared to the competition. Thick screen material that you can actually wipe clean just like the best expensive ones out there. On top of that almost no assembling necessary.

Here is part of the response I received from them:

Yes, we ship to installers in Canada, send your postal code I will check and make sure

there is no conflict of interest, then I can offer you Preferred Installer Pricing.

Cinema HD Series is a wonderful screen with M2 Screen material, it a poly-vinyl like everyone

else, Stewart - Dalite - Elite - we just make it much thicker.

Your JVC RS40 should have the Micro-Fine 4K screen material, that we use for the Pro-Series

and Pro-Curve Series. It has an Epoxy-Resin substrate, the screen material actually stands up on

it's own, very hard and rigid.

Silver material primarily used for parabolic - compound curved screens - very hot spotting on flat

screens!

Let me know what your hoping to accomplish:

What exact size screen?

16:9 or 2.35:1 aspect ratio? (Don't rule out 2.35 I just did it on a 130" curve with my modest Epson

8500 with 16:9 masking - It is absolutely gorgeous! and you have RS40!

What color are the walls and ceiling in the viewing room?

What are the dimensions of the viewing room include ceiling height?

Let me know I see what we can do to help.

·
Registered
64 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by BIGmouthinDC /forum/post/19359108

Many of the images Magnum uses are a direct rip off of Rubens images from SMX. For that reason alone I would not do business with that vendor. There was a thread discussing this a couple of weeks ago.

Adding insult to injury they actually use this image in their marketing material. It happens to be Ruben's personal theater he built in his garage.

Could you really trust this vendor?

Thanks for the info, I was not aware of this. After a little bit of digging, it looks like both companies are out of FL, could there be a link between the two companies somehow? Ex employee of SMX starting his own company, etc.

That being said, copying an image is not reason enough for me to pass on a product. Bad customer reviews and bad customer service is, and it looks like their previous sales have been good. I haven't purchased anything yet, but this screen is still in the running for me.

1 - 20 of 91 Posts