AVS Forum banner
1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
164 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
After having my PE8700+ bulb quit at 1650hrs I am reluctant to buy a new one because they cost $400!

I took the Bulb housing apart after spending a few hours cleaning out the three fans inside the projector, and cleaning the dust and film off of the color wheel.

I new they cost $400 when i bought the projector 3 years ago, but I thought the price may go down.

Is anyone mad that it costs $400 and only lasts 1500-2000 hrs? Thats about a 1/4 of the current street price for the PJ!!!!!!!

I have never seen a economy mode on the 8700.

Also how come the same NSH 210w bulb is used on other Benq PJs ans cost almost $200 less?

Anyway, I took the thing apart and it looks very easy to install another bulb, Has anyone found a source for just the bulbs?

I just can't believe that so many people submit to paying soo much.

·
Registered
164 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Thanks I will check those out. Just trying to find a cheaper way to go. I dont think I will try to retrofit some other bulb, I just want to find the correct bulb at a better price.

·
Registered
3,534 Posts
My Benq 8700's bulb just died a few days ago - do we have our lamp periods synchronized or what?

But mine died at 1200 hours.
It will light and run for an hour, before the projector shuts it down. It is extremely dim - maybe 100 lumens?

I just bought a replacement bulb for $450 CDN. Ouch! $250 US for a rebuilt one would only save me $150. Not really worth it.

·
Registered
164 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
Maxleung,

I would be mad too if my bulb only lasted 1200hrs. Mine just stopped working, it did not blow up, but it did blow out.

I have been looking through the DIYAudio forum for cheaper alternatives.

The idea there is you can take apart the whole assembly to get to the lamp, then take apart the reflector assembly and install just the "bulb" part of it. You have to do some work though, soak the ceramic portion of the lamp assembly. pry it apart, put in ne bulb and re-cement.

Sounds good because the bulb may only be $65, but.... the NSH bulb the guy can sell me is only 180w not 210 so it may be dim and not last as long?

I don't know, I am still going to search around for the best price on a whole assembly because I am not convinced that the Guys who commercially rebuild the lamp assemblies match the light output of the original for $250.

·
Registered
380 Posts
Yeah, the Benq 8700 bulbs are expensive and short lived. My first stopped working at around 1200 hours. My current bulb has around 1300 hours on it and is very dim even with a HP screen.

I'm on the preorder for the JVC RS-1 so the current bulb should easily last until my RS-1 ships. Unfortunately, I will probably have to buy a new bulb in order to sell the 8700.

Let us know if you do find a low cost alternative.

1 - 10 of 10 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.