AVS Forum banner
Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
455 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I have avail. to me the 4X8 sheets - I know I can order the 5X10 size. But, I was wondering if anyone has tried to seam together a 4X8 sheet with a another 2X8 piece to give a 4:3 aspect 6X8 screen ? If so any success at hiding the seam ?

·
Registered
14 Posts
I have a 6x10 DIY hardboard screen painted w/ Behr Ultrawhite eggshell. Its made from 2 4x8 pieces, second one is sliced the long way. There are 2 seams in it by butting the factory cut edges together, taping the backside with standard duct tape. The front side has several coats of paint on it. I sanded the seams after each coat.

Bottom-line? The seams are barely visible in broad daylight and only from a foot or so away. They are completely invisible in normal projection/viewing mode. bnone of my guests have ever noticed the seams.

With the parkland plastic which is smoother, flatter and better cut on the edges, the seam should be flatter and smoother than in my setup. However, if U R not painting the plastic, the seam may be more visible in the daylight. But I wouldn't worry about it for viewing purposes/PQ. I have been experimenting with many different commercial and DIY screens for 2 years...most seams and even [painted] nail heads disappear in normal viewing mode.

·
Registered
5,132 Posts
Stick your white caulk in the hole and it should fill the gap :D Sand it down and then paint over it.

1 - 7 of 7 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.