AVS Forum banner
1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
48 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Has anyone tried the GeForce GT 430 with an HDMI 1.4a Hi Def receiver like a Denon AVR or Onkyo?

I'm currently using the ATI 5450 and this thing has been a pain in the neck. The ATI won't recognize my Denon AVR-591's surround sound until I reboot the HTPC with the receiveron. Furthermore, after I've watched what I want in surround sound, when I turn the Denon off and it goes to HDMI pass through, either I get no sound at all or I get sound in windows but live tv and recorded tv gets no sound. So in order to fix this I need to do another reboot with the receiver off. It's crazy... I've tried the latest ATI drivers, no change, EDID Overrides for the receiver and that doesn't give me the results that I want. So having said all of that... Has anyone tried the GeForce GT 430 with an HDMI 1.4a Hi Def receiver? I'm considering the GT 430 but I don't want to waste more time and money buying this $60 - $80 card only to find out I still have the issue. Any real life experience with the GT 430 and an HDMI Hi Def receiver would be greatly appreciated.

Thanks!

HTPC

Windows 7 64 bit (OEM)

Athlon II X4 640

4 Gig of ram

1TB System drive (C:\\)

2TB Raid0 for Recorded TV

Blu-Ray drive

Power DVD 10 Ultra 3D

·
Registered
48 Posts
Discussion Starter · #2 ·
Wow, 60 views no one has a GT 430 with an HDMI receiver?

·
Registered
48 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·

Quote:
Originally Posted by jskube84 /forum/post/19537323

My EVGA GT430 works perfectly with my Marantz AV7005 if that helps you.

Woohoo! Thanks! I'm going to place my order now. This ATI is a real pain... Thanks again!

·
Registered
48 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ix
Don't be so quick to blame ATI. There are a hundred reasons why you could have had those problems, not all of them necessarily related to ATI.
Point well taken but I've spent countless hours trying to fix this issue; lurking this forum, TGB and many others and found nothing that helped me. The thing that gets me is that this seems to be an issue with many others who have the ATI 5xxx cards. So I'm not alone... Once the great EDID Override didn't work that was the last straw for me. So... I think I'm done. Tried hard and gave it my best shot. All I want is my receiver get recognized for 5.1 DTS-HD/TrueHD when I turn it on and revert back to stereo HDMI pass through when I turn it off. (Without having to reboot the HTPC every time). I hope this GT 430 will do that. Thanks for your input.

·
Registered
48 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
For anyone interested in my results. I got the card yesterday and had to get through a host of DLP HDTV overscan issues. The nvidia drivers caused the desktop to overscan at 1080p resolution, so some of my icons on the left were not completely visible and my taskbar was completely off the screen. So, in nvidia's control panel you can resize the image to fit the screen but it changes the actual resolution of the desktop. I thought, 'ok I can live with this'. Little did I realize that when your desktop isn't at 1080p (1920 x 1080) resolution it breaks HDCP. So I fired up PowerDVD and kept getting a HDCP error. Downloaded the trial of TMT5 and got the same error. Wasted like 5 hours on that alone. Installing/uninstall software, safe mode, driver sweeper etc... Man, nothing ever just works the first time! lol... Anyway, after messing around with the overscan resize/HDCP issue for 10 hours I finally decided to go with AnyDVD HD (couldn't take it anymore) just so I can bypass the HDCP requirement for blu-ray playback. When I finally got past that issue I was able to actually test the HDMI standby pass through functionality of the GT 430. The first thing I noticed in the playback devices is that the HDMI device was label 'Denon AVR-3 HDMI' when the ATI had 'ATI HDMI'. So, that looked very encouraging to me... Next I tested to see if 430's drivers would dynamically change the audio options from 2 channel stereo to 5.1 channel HD audio. With the receiver off I checked the playback devices and it showed only the stereo option in the configuration. From there I went to MCE and played some live TV and was able to hear the stereo audio throught the TV's speakers. With the ATI, I would have to reboot my HTPC with the AVR off in order for this to work; otherwise I would see video but no audio. Next I closed MCE and powered on the AVR. I checked the playback devices again and sure enough the configuration showed that I had the option for 5.1 surround sound. When I did this with the ATI I would still see only stereo as an option and in order to get 5.1 surround sound, I would need to reboot the HTPC with the AVR still on. I went to MCE again, put on an HD channel in live tv and the audio output automatically went to 5.1 surround sound Dolby Digital on the AVR! Woohoo! Lastly, l stopped live tv and played a blu-ray move in PowerDVD and the DTS-HD audio was picked up by the AVR loud and clear! While the GT 430 has room for improvements, (DLP desktop overscan which the ATI rendered flawlessly), AMD clearly need to make some improvements to their drivers. There is no reason you should need to reboot your computer every time you want to switch your HDMI standby pass through AVR on or off.

Thanks again for your input!

·
Registered
36 Posts
I recently installed a GT430 to replace my ATI 5670 card since I was unhappy with the video quality of the ATI. The audio was perfect but now I have the same overscan issues as you mentioned with the GT430. Is there anyway to correct this without modifying the resolution? I have not gotten the audio to work quite right yet but the video is the first concern. The quality of the video seems better than the ATI but the overscan is killing me. I am using Windows 7 Ultimate 64bit. Any updates on how this can be corrected without using AnyDVD to bypass the HDCP? I have AnyDVD but like I said, I want full 1080p.

·
Registered
114 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by jakevsnake /forum/post/19645130

I recently installed a GT430 to replace my ATI 5670 card since I was unhappy with the video quality of the ATI. The audio was perfect but now I have the same overscan issues as you mentioned with the GT430. Is there anyway to correct this without modifying the resolution? I have not gotten the audio to work quite right yet but the video is the first concern. The quality of the video seems better than the ATI but the overscan is killing me. I am using Windows 7 Ultimate 64bit. Any updates on how this can be corrected without using AnyDVD to bypass the HDCP? I have AnyDVD but like I said, I want full 1080p.

Also curious as I'm looking to get a GT 430 to replace my PITA 5670.

·
Registered
389 Posts
The only way to get around it using NVIDIA cards is to have a TV that can do 1:1 pixel mapping. Otherwise you'll have to resize the desktop which changes the resolution to something other than 1080p, which breaks HDCP if you also want your receiver to decode HD audio. One alternative is to allow the BD software to decode the HD Audio and then pass it along as multichannel PCM. Doing that will not break HDCP and you really don't lose any sound quality in the process. The only thing you miss out on is the pretty lights on your receiver.

Regardless, NVIDIA needs to address this problem. Their method of resizing the desktop to adjust for overscan has not been a problem in the past. Now it is and they need to rewrite how that process is done in the drivers. Obviously it CAN be done since AMD can do it.

·
Registered
6 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Micromain /forum/post/19680809

The only way to get around it using NVIDIA cards is to have a TV that can do 1:1 pixel mapping. Otherwise you'll have to resize the desktop which changes the resolution to something other than 1080p, which breaks HDCP if you also want your receiver to decode HD audio. One alternative is to allow the BD software to decode the HD Audio and then pass it along as multichannel PCM. Doing that will not break HDCP and you really don't lose any sound quality in the process. The only thing you miss out on is the pretty lights on your receiver.

Regardless, NVIDIA needs to address this problem. Their method of resizing the desktop to adjust for overscan has not been a problem in the past. Now it is and they need to rewrite how that process is done in the drivers. Obviously it CAN be done since AMD can do it.

There is something wrong with the GT430 driver and 3D on a x64 windows 7. I'm using the same optical out from the HTPC on AMD or Nvidia.

Nvidia has 3D support but not very user friendly.

First off all i got a lipsync problem with the GT430. Is need to adjust 116ms to get a 2D mkv lipsync. With 3D bluray there is no option to see a bluray lipsync.

With the AMD IGP 2D lipsync work fine, 3D is not working due to a slow cpu and no GPU support.

3D with the gt430 needs to be activated in a 3D 1920x180 24Hz mode, but the gt430 thinks every fullscreen playback is now in 3D. So you need to manualy switch 3D on/off within the settings. Very userfriendly for kids, family and wife

A driver could analyze the output and switch to 3D mode when there is a 3D stream. When there is no 3D stream it should remain in a 2D mode. Using 1920x1080 with 60Hz works beacause this is not a supported 3D setting. But playing files on a non-native refreshrate to bypass a driver issue feels sloppy.

I am so happy with buying a "cheap" card instead of a full force gaming card. Nvidia marketing works, but it fails to deliver a smooth ride.

1 - 12 of 12 Posts