AVS Forum banner
Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 20 of 53 Posts

·
Registered
573 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
For those of you not in the know, AVerMedia has just added a 30+MB download to their A180 support page that contains "non MCE 2005 Application Software to run the AVerTVHD MCE A180 on standard Windows XP":

http://www.aver.com/support/faq_tvtu...mce_a180.shtml

I don't have MCE, and thus haven't gotten an A180 yet. This may change my mind, depending on what app software they're including - has anyone downloaded and tried this out yet? I'm curious as to what's in that big zip file - is it just a plain old LiveTV watcher (30+ MB for that???), or does it also have a downloadable/viewable Episode Guide, Record Scheduler, pause/RW Live TV type app, etc.

--KS

·
Registered
23,130 Posts
The app is AverTV 6.0, I've only played with it for about 10 minutes, but it reminds me a lot of Hauppauge's WinTV 2000.

If you're looking for a PVR app, this is not it.

(I'm running XP Pro FWIW).

·
Registered
573 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Hmmm... Having a heck of a time Googling the AverTV app (screenshots and whatnot), not much out there. Found a manual for it (PDF) on the Aver site and peeked at it. Looks like it will do Timeshifting, but it doesn't look hopeful for a typical episode guide type layout. Nor does it say what format it records in (standard .ts? MPEG?)... Wonder if it'll work under 2000...

Eh. I don't care, I'm pulling the trigger. I suppose I can try getting GBPVR or MediaPortal to work with it. I just needed the "app support from the manufacturer" checkbox checked to fully rationalize my decision. :)

--KS

·
Registered
112 Posts
You can download the app and install it. You will get the PDF manual file that describe the app very detail. If it works as they describe in the manual, I think it's as good or even better than Fusion software. This card is also cheaper than cheapest Fusion card also. I just order one from Amazon

·
Registered
112 Posts
One other thing I like their new app comparing to MCE is that you can switch the input source for recording easily. I'll install this app even I have the MCE 2k5 just for recording from other inputs like SVIDEO or Composite.

·
Registered
573 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Downloaded and installed it (AverTV 6.0) to look at the manual. I gotta say, I'm a bit impressed - the TitanTV integration was a bit of a surprise, and it all looks pretty straightforward. Of course, I'm assuming it's not buggy. And the episode guide (non-TitanTV) it comes with is pretty ugly. Nevertheless, it looks like it'll let me do what I want it to do.

Anybody know what the card (A180) uses for S-Video capture - in particular, is it an 8-bit or 10-bit Connexxant chip, and/or can I use DScaler 4 with it? In addition to HDTV duty, I'd also like to feed it the output from my satellite box via S-Video.

--KS

·
Registered
859 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by KlingonScum
Anybody know what the card (A180) uses for S-Video capture - in particular, is it an 8-bit or 10-bit Connexxant chip,
Philips 7134, 9-bit

Question: Does the new non-MCE download contain just the app or does it contain drivers too? If it contains drivers, is it the bda set or other? What I'm really driving at is whether they exposed QAM demodulation.

And what about the NTSC tuner - exposed or still under lock and key?

·
Registered
573 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
Quote:
Originally Posted by CityK
Philips 7134, 9-bit

Question: Does the new non-MCE download contain just the app or does it contain drivers too? If it contains drivers, is it the bda set or other? What I'm really driving at is whether they exposed QAM demodulation.

And what about the NTSC tuner - exposed or still under lock and key?
Oh goodie - that's the same chip as those FlyVideo cards, so hopefully DScaler will work with it and I can yank that decrepit old IOMagic card out of my HTPC. Wonder if DScaler can access the NTSC tuner on the card...not that it matters to me though; I get all my local channels through DirecTV.

Yes, the download includes drivers, but I don't know if it's the BDA set.

The manual shows a remote control and an IR sensor cable; I'm assuming the white box version doesn't come with that. Anyone know where you can aquire those? They don't have a retail version of the card yet do they?

--KS

·
Registered
60 Posts
does the new software add QAM support?

KlingonScum, did you get a chance to test the dscaler support for the ntsc tuner?

·
Registered
573 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
Quote:
Originally Posted by mell1n
does the new software add QAM support?

KlingonScum, did you get a chance to test the dscaler support for the ntsc tuner?
Don't know about QAM, didn't see anything in the manual about it though.

DScaler works, but it didn't recognize the card - I just picked generic "Philips Tuner" and it worked, even enabled the 713x options in the menu that I have no clue what they do (HLLP:TV, VCR, and Fast Tracking). Bear in mind I don't use the audio capabilities of DScaler - I feed in S-Video from my satellite box, but send audio via optical out from my sat box to my Receiver bypassing the HTPC altogether. I had to do some tweaking of settings here and there (I'm afraid I tried so many things I can't figure out exactly what did the trick) because I was getting a little bit of lag and dropped frames, but I got it working quite well now.

Been using the AverTV 6.0 app. I like it so far, but it's got a few idiosyncracies that bug me:

1) The Signal Strength meter is this way tiny little icon on the HUD, and I'm not sure it works. I was hoping for a nice fly-out signal meter like my old AccessDTV app had.

2) There doesn't seem to be a way to "force" it to add a channel to the list. The first time through it didn't find Fox in my area; after doing a lot of file searching to try to figure out where it stored that info, I gave up and tried a complete scan again (last resort) and luckily it found it.

3) One thing that's sort of irritating - while watching the Texans/Cowboys game last night, periodically after about 10 minutes (with Timeshift on; don't know if it would do this with it off), I'd start getting pixelation that would creep up from the bottom of the screen. If I paused and restarted, that would fix it. Odd...my box shouldn't have been under a heavy load either, so I don't think it was lack of grunt. About 10 minutes later it'd do it again...

4) I get 6 of the 7 channels I care about STRONG (ABC, CBS, NBC, Fox, UPN, WB, PBS - PBS is the bad egg) - no dropouts, no pixellation, beautiful - I haven't re-oriented my antenna since I had the AccessDTV card in the box, and I can tell you the AccessDTV could only pull in 2 of those channels clean, and one other one with stutters and drops. PBS I don't get at all, but I didn't with the AccessDTV either. Now, UPN DOES stutter the video (no pixelation, just "freeze jumps")- and I can't figure out why because the signal strength meter (ha) seems to show it has a full signal. I don't think it's the load on the box because all the other channels are fine. I do know my antenna could stand to be aligned a little better - I may be 10-15 degrees off from optimal, but I'd hate to mess with it now since everything else is SO perfect and my motto is "perfect is the enemy of 'good enough'".

5) Timeshifting on this software is WONDERFUL - I can't believe how instantaneous the response is compared to my old AccessDTV card. Would be nice if I could program in how much time I'd like to jump when I FF/RW, but the slider bar is nice. What would be REALLY cool is if I could on my remote punch in "45" and hit "FF" and have it jump 45 seconds forward, but *shrug*. At no point did the SW throw up its hands and stop responding like my AccessDTV would when I went a little medieval on the FF/RW-ing.

6) It would be nice if I knew what the incoming signal was - 480p, 720p, 1080i. Doesn't appear to be any way to tell.

7) I get a funky few horizontal lines at the top of the picture - looks like really fast moving letters or something - white letters on a black background, changing insanely fast. Overscan doesn't help. Ignorable.

8) I will say this - while this card/SW combo gives me a more solid picture and viewing experience than my old AccessDTV, I think the AccessDTV gave me a better scaled/de-interlaced/whatever picture than this one. I notice a few more jaggies on fast transitions briefly than I did with the AccessDTV card.

9) The software doesn't save all my settings, which is sort of irritating in some cases, specifically "Free Aspect Ratio" which is supposed to lock it to whatever the aspect ratio of the incoming signal is. On the other hand, the "zoom to 4:3" feature is absolutely awesome; one beef I had with the AccessDTV card was that Fox would broadcast 4:3 stuff with "dog ears" on the side, so on my 4:3 projector, the incoming 16:9 signal would have letterboxing above and below, and the vertical "dog ears" on the side. With this SW, in that case I hit "zoom to 4:3" and that portion completely fills my screen - sweet.

All things considered, I'm fairly happy with the software - I've even got my Total Home Remote talking to it fairly seamlessly (for some reason, Ctrl-T from my remote is fullscreening it instead of putting it into Timeshift mode, which is sort of irritating, but everything else works). I also downloaded GB-PVR, but discovered to my chagrin they don't support the A180 yet. When I get time this week I'll probably give MediaPortal a go.

But what I'd REALLY like is somebody to write a nice "signal strength" app, similar to what's built into MCE...it's getting harder and harder to fight the Borg off...

--KS

·
Registered
124 Posts
Thanks for the detailed report, KlingonScum. You seem to be the only person around who is actually using the A180 with the AverTV app!

I am reading with great interest; I use an AccessDTV today, and am considering pulling the trigger on the A180. However, it sounds like you are having enough issues I might wait a little longer until it mature first. I am getting decent reception with AccessDTV as it is.

Please keep us posted on progress...

·
Registered
573 Posts
Discussion Starter · #15 ·
Let me make something clear - I'm tickled to death with my A180 card; all the stuff I'm referencing above is nitpicky - usually, if I hit a major show stopper with a piece of hardware, I'll post a short post about that one issue and won't bother to keep going :) Just so I don't just post the bad stuff, here are some BIG positives about the A180 and the AverTV combo:

1) Rock solid. Jacking around with the config while it's showing video hasn't caused it to hiccup and die once - not ONCE. And the video/audio never once stuttered on me on any of the channels except UPN. And when I had bad signals with my ADTV, I'd get horrific pixelation; I never get that with the A180, just dropped whole frames which is a lot easier to watch.

2) Neat stuff I wasn't able to do with my ADTV card - that zoom to 4:3 capability absolutely ROCKS.

3) Picks up more channels than my ADTV did with the same antenna orientation. I'm not saying my ADTV wouldn't have been able to pick them all up had I aligned it better, but this card is more forgiving.

4) Timeshifting unbelievably responsive. Truly.

5) Natively saves to MPG format rather than .ts/.tp, so I can play saved shows on any box on my network without going through an HDTV2MPG conversion (which I never got working with my ADTV's .ts files).

6) Picks up subchannels and handles them SEAMLESSLY; I couldn't believe how many of them were out there compared to how many my ADTV picked up.

--KS

·
Premium Member
150 Posts
I downloaded AverTV as a test tool to see if the A180 card worked, as I have had no luck getting either MCE 2005 or MediaPortal to configure it. I can vouch for the functionality of the card with its standalone app for off-the-air viewing - I'm getting good results. I haven't looked at any other functionality in the application software.

Great picture with no ghosts. The only suprising thing is how much OTA digital content is not in fact HD.

-Dan

·
Registered
573 Posts
Discussion Starter · #17 ·
Quote:
Originally Posted by DLK
Great picture with no ghosts. The only suprising thing is how much OTA digital content is not in fact HD.

-Dan
No kidding; unpleasantly surprised that the Texans/Cowboys game was plain old digital SDTV (480i upscaled to 480p and broadcast digitally) - and blurry at that. On the other hand, that really makes me appreciate the "zoom to 4:3" capability...

--KS

·
Registered
150 Posts
I would like to know if anybody has tried the A-180 with the Xp operating

system on cable to receive unencoded QAM channels. I have no interest in

recording or OTA reception, but I would like it to work reliably receiving

unencrypted cable.

Thanks

·
Registered
7 Posts
Adding to KlingonScum great info on the software for the A180 HD card on WinXP

Quote:
1) The Signal Strength meter is this way tiny little icon on the HUD, and I'm not sure it works. I was hoping for a nice fly-out signal meter like my old AccessDTV app had.
1a) Agree.

Quote:
2) There doesn't seem to be a way to "force" it to add a channel to the list. The first time through it didn't find Fox in my area; after doing a lot of file searching to try to figure out where it stored that info, I gave up and tried a complete scan again (last resort) and luckily it found it.
2a) Same for me.

Quote:
4) I get 6 of the 7 channels I care about STRONG (ABC, CBS, NBC, Fox, UPN, WB, PBS - PBS is the bad egg) - no dropouts, no pixellation, beautiful - I haven't re-oriented my antenna since I had the AccessDTV card in the box, and I can tell you the AccessDTV could only pull in 2 of those channels clean, and one other one with stutters and drops. PBS I don't get at all, but I didn't with the AccessDTV either. Now, UPN DOES stutter the video (no pixelation, just "freeze jumps")- and I can't figure out why because the signal strength meter (ha) seems to show it has a full signal. I don't think it's the load on the box because all the other channels are fine. I do know my antenna could stand to be aligned a little better - I may be 10-15 degrees off from optimal, but I'd hate to mess with it now since everything else is SO perfect and my motto is "perfect is the enemy of 'good enough'".
4a) Channel 8 is the same for me, good signal but stutters pretty bad. Only when recieving HD signal. Commercials and non HD OK. Could this be the signal problem (1080i)?

Quote:
6) It would be nice if I knew what the incoming signal was - 480p, 720p, 1080i. Doesn't appear to be any way to tell.
6A) Agree

Quote:
7) I get a funky few horizontal lines at the top of the picture - looks like really fast moving letters or something - white letters on a black background, changing insanely fast. Overscan doesn't help. Ignorable.
7a) Dead on...Get the same.

Quote:
9) The software doesn't save all my settings, which is sort of irritating in some cases, specifically "Free Aspect Ratio" which is supposed to lock it to whatever the aspect ratio of the incoming signal is. On the other hand, the "zoom to 4:3" feature is absolutely awesome; one beef I had with the AccessDTV card was that Fox would broadcast 4:3 stuff with "dog ears" on the side, so on my 4:3 projector, the incoming 16:9 signal would have letterboxing above and below, and the vertical "dog ears" on the side. With this SW, in that case I hit "zoom to 4:3" and that portion completely fills my screen - sweet.
9a) Very irritating, I like the always on top setting.

Thanks for info KlingonScum... noob at this kind of card. Been using a winfast 2000 deluxe. The overscan can get a bit complex, cause each channel can have its own setting.

Glad to see the card and the software having the same quirks.

Hope they improve the software if the bugs are universal.

1 - 20 of 53 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.