AVS Forum banner
Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
469 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Has anyone tried to Record a DTS Music disc to a blank disc and maintain the multichannel Sound? How about with DVD Audio Discs? About the best sounding DTS Music disc is Alan Parsons On Air, IMO. Thanks.

·
Registered
101 Posts
I think I have a simular question. (And I hope it's not illegal.)

In some of the music video DVD's I own between the music you get other information (e.g.: Last Waltz, Sting - All this time). What I would like is to record just the music on a dts-cd or on another cd, but with keeping the same audio-quality which is on the DVD.

Jürgen

·
Registered
469 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Brewerboy, Jay: Sounds great; please post here what you figure out. I was, however, hoping to do it from a DVD player >> DVD Recorder. (no computer involved).

Clarification: I want to take a DTS music disc; place it in my DVD player (which has DTS), Record it to a DVD Recorder, and wind up with a disc that maintains the DTS multichannel sound. I have not yet bought the DVD Recorder, since I can't seem to decide which one. I keep procrastinating, hoping I can get the following: DVI, HD, compatibility w/-R, +R, etc. I may not wait for HD or DVI. Not sure. We have connected a Samsung HD DVD Player with DVI output, to a 61" Samsung DLPTV. We have compared the picture between the component output, and the DVI output. Both are extremely good, but the colors look different/better with the DVI Input (using the Straightwire DVI Cable). I was leaning toward the Sony DVD Recorder, as it seems to have the most compatibility. I don't like the fact that there is no HD. Warning: Do not buy this item from eBay. You will have NO warranty. I previously made this mistake with a Sony PDA (Clie' NX70). It was new, but broke after 1 month. Sony refuses to do anything about it. That was like throwing away $400.00. Live & learn.

·
Registered
2,650 Posts
Quote:
Originally posted by Mr. Hookup
Clarification: I want to take a DTS music disc; place it in my DVD player (which has DTS), Record it to a DVD Recorder, and wind up with a disc that maintains the DTS multichannel sound.
Not possible. There are no standalone DVD recorders that have a digital input or that have multi-channel analog inputs. The best you can do is record the 2 channel analog outputs from your source device.

Jay

·
Registered
101 Posts
Mr. Hookup:

I'm not a copying person. Once in a while I copy own of my own cd's (very seldom); e.g. my wife wants to here a new cd very often and I want it, too and we both have a personal workroom/sitting-room (which is also nice for home cinema, but I'm thrifting away from your question more and more). What I want to say is I don't have personal experience with this kind of work, but I have read about. Let me tell what I have understood (other people can correct me then):

- Up until now it is nog possible along a legal way to make a 1:1 copy of a DVD: the legal software wan't do it (e.g. Instant copy) and/or copying barriers like macrovision prevent it and/or just a good connection and the recordable DVD's are restricted to 1 layer (momentarily are coming 2 layer recordable DVD's - and recorders - on the market).

- I read that there is software with which one can make a 1:1 copy, but then: you have to do a lot of work; if there is too much information on the DVD you have to strip it (not copyiing the whole; this is the one/two layer-story)

- so it's complicated and probably illegal (if I see it well) and so I stick to buying cd's and dvd's (and I just like to have the original things);

- but - as I mentioned earlier - because I sometimes want to destiallate the music, preferable on an dts-cd (because then I can play it also in my cd-player), I have asked if this is possible. It get the impresssion: yes, but again: complicated and probably illegal, even it is for own use.

So people, come up with your comments: where am I wrong?

I'm sorry Mr Hookup that I can't you give a right away answer.

Jurgen

1 - 9 of 9 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.