AVS Forum banner
Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
32 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I am considering getting a front projection dlp setup to use with DVD, PC, VCR and free to air television.

I have tested a Davis DLP and loved its quality on dvd, but unfortunately tv came up looking pretty dull. I get a pretty good signal here, looks fine on my other tv's

(which are ofcourse MUCH smaller).

This tv signal goes through a tuner in the vcr, then is pumped into the projector via composite video - hardly the greatest route for a good signal to arrive at the DLP.

My question is, has anyone ever tried to use a PC TV tuner card (such as the Radeon) as their primary tv tuner signal? I was thinking it would be better to use the PC tuner,

and pump that tv picture to the projector via VGA, rather than crappy composite.

This also ofcourse opens the possibility for digital vcr functionality. I live in australia and unfortunately Tivo style devices havent quite made it here yet http://www.avsforum.com/ubb/frown.gif

·
Registered
6,227 Posts
Although Digital VCR is not quite ready for primetime (snapstream, PowerVCR II, etc etc) you are fine if you use a Brooktree chipset'ed TV card and run dTV (soon to be dScaler)to scale the SDTV to your projector's resolution, search for dTV on this forum or head on over to http://deinterlace.sourceforge.net/ to download etc...

I have seen screen shots from the AIW card that look good but I hear that dTV is doing better (and conitually develops more ability !!)...

I do exactly this with my DLP and it works very well for SDTV as long as your signal is relatively clean...

------------------

[email protected]
HTPC without using windows... GUI Front Ends for Home Theater

·
Registered
686 Posts
Search this Forum for capture cards based on the Brooktree/Conexxant bt8x8 chipset, and also on the software dScaler/the software formerly known as dTV http://www.avsforum.com/ubb/smile.gif

You need to capture the video (the bt8x8 tuner will do), deinterlace it (using dScaler), then scale it using your VGA card (Radeon?) to your DLP's native resolution for the best performance.

Regards, RC

·
Registered
1,069 Posts
Even better than dScaler & a TV tuner card is your VCR tuner, piped into the $20 Cybertainment bt878 capture card from ComputerGeeks & then scaled/de-interlaced by dScaler.

YMMV, but on 3 different cards, I found that the RF noise inside a computer made for a lousy TV signal - keeping the tuner in your VCR eliminates that problem.

The best of both worlds - a clean tuned signal & dScaler's wonderful image.

·
Registered
283 Posts
Don't expect too much from a PC TV card, I have a Radeon AIW, and the picture quality is well down on what I see on an old (but still good) TV. I get a better picture by taking the composite video from the TV into the AIW for display. Things may be better than that in USA, but from what I can find out in europe, all TV cards are pretty much the same as regards (poor) picture quality.

Anyone know if there is a european equivalent of the Cybertainment capture card (with RGB input)???

------------------

Its not what you do - its the way that you do it

·
Registered
32 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Hi guys,

thanks for all the informative reply's!

Looks like I may be on the wrong track with a tuner card eh? Having never used one, I really dont know how much to expect from them.

dTV/dScaler sure looks sweet, however it is limited in the cards available to support it. I already have an Asus Geforce2 with tv in/out but apparantly it is not supported. I am starting to think that taking the sdtv to the pc really isnt going to yield any improvement from just cabling straight from the vcr to the dlp.

You guys in the US are lucky to already have HDTV pc cards already available, we in australia arent gonna see those for ages!

Does anyone have any experience using the asus Geforce2 cards as a tv in route to a projector, or can anyone recommend any other cards that have strong 3d performance as well as scaleable tv input.

I checked out the Cybertainment card, is it me or is that thing just TOO cheap ($14.95US)?! Can anyone comment on its quality when pumped to a DLP/LCD?

·
Registered
578 Posts
Quote:
I checked out the Cybertainment card, is it me or is that thing just TOO cheap ($14.95US)?! Can anyone comment on

its quality when pumped to a DLP/LCD?
At $20 delivered what have you got to lose?? Try it yourself and be your own judge!

------------------

Whenever you find yourself on the side of the majority, Pause and Reflect

·
Registered
2,311 Posts
Quote:
Originally posted by dj:
Hi guys,

thanks for all the informative reply's!

Looks like I may be on the wrong track with a tuner card eh?
Not at all. The scaling that dTV/dScaler can do should exceed the quality of the scaling in your DLP. That's been my experience. You can set your video card to the exact res of your DLP and dScaler will do a great job of scaling to that.

Quote:

Having never used one, I really dont know how much to expect from them.

dTV/dScaler sure looks sweet, however it is limited in the cards available to support it. I already have an Asus Geforce2 with tv in/out but apparantly it is not supported. I am starting to think that taking the sdtv to the pc really isnt going to yield any improvement from just cabling straight from the vcr to the dlp.
A cheap TV input card with a BT878 chip is not going to set you back much to experiment with.

Quote:

I checked out the Cybertainment card, is it me or is that thing just TOO cheap ($14.95US)?! Can anyone comment on its quality when pumped to a DLP/LCD?
It's cheap because the Brooktree chipset has been around for a long time. With any chip, the more they make, the cheaper it gets. The manufacturer supplied a good reference design, so it's not going to cost a huge amount to develop a card. You can spend more, but it would be hard to spend more than $100 on any standard res TV tuner card.

I use a Hauppauge WinTV card, and I've found it to be a much better source for my projector. Also, I can do fun things like put the tuner input in a small window on my screen - my projector didn't come with PIP, now I have it. I'll sometimes show "letterbox whiners" exactly how much is lost by their demand to "fill the screen" by putting a "pan'n'scan" VHS signal into one window on my screen via the WinTV card, and the widescreen version of the same film into another window via WinDVD. I've made several converts in this way.

Look at it this way: How can you lose?

[This message has been edited by Chris Williams (edited 05-13-2001).]

·
Registered
803 Posts
Dj, you will be totally astonished at the quality Dscaler is capable.

To me dTV was the happiest discovery in my HT life.

Get a supported card with svideo input tomorrow |

:)

Bye

------------------

dubmaster

1 - 9 of 9 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.