AVS Forum banner
Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 20 of 235 Posts

·
Registered
17 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I just received my NEC HT1000 (YEAHHHH) and noticed that it comes with a pretty standard looking power cord with a somewhat universal head.

Just the way people rave about replacing their power cord on their audio components what about replacing it on their video units as well.

Seems logical but I want to know if anyone has done this an has experienced any difference.

Bruno

·
Registered
245 Posts
The only reason to replace your power cord is if it's damaged, too long, too short, need a right angled connector, want a different color, etc.

If your upgrading to improve picture quality don't waste your money. Ignore the audio crazies. They use green markers on their CD's, pieces of amber to soak up bad carma, cryogenic treated cables and other hogwash.

Think about it...these projectors cost serious money. Manufacturers spend quite a bit of money on expensive optics and other things to get the most out of their product. If there was one iota of improvement to be gained by anything other than the cheapest, most basic power cord at least one of the manufacturers would do so AND brag about it.

·
Premium Member
2,468 Posts
I am battle weary from too many tweaks debates from days past :)

Try some out ... if they work for you great, if not, then great too.

Me -> I believe in power cords, digital cables, interconnects, vibration control, power conditioning, cryogenics, and dics treatments.

- Andy

·
Registered
9,769 Posts
I'm still looking for a solid platinum power cord. I heard they were superior to everything else. I heard you could get a good one for around $6000.

·
Registered
3,639 Posts
Power cables run all through your house on standard common solid copper romex. Upgrading the last 6 feet to the equipment is not going to improve much if anything. I'm with Rusty, the manufacturer puts a good cord to go with a good unit. Don't change it unless you have to.

·
Registered
61 Posts
I agree, spending lots of money on the cable is not cost effective. Perhaps making sure the supply to the wall is good might be a better investment.

Just having a sturdy cable with tight fitting plugs (IEC can be loose) and clean contacts is all you need.

Roger

·
Registered
2,008 Posts
Whether a cord can make an appreciable difference to your picture can be checked easily by swapping it out.

To suggest that a manufacturer would change a part (a power cord is just a part) if they knew it would increase picture quality and they could advertise this, isa pretty ...er ...weak argument. EVERY projector is built to a COST. If the new part costs too much then it aint going in. There are a multitude of products that can be improved dramatically with the addition of $100 parts. Manufacturers don't do it because they'd have to up the end user pricing, or take a hit in their margin.

Gordon

·
Registered
634 Posts
I agree with Gordon. Have you see the powercords that come with high end audio gear? They expect you to swap it out. Would you rather have the manufacturer add a couple hundred to the cost of the unit in order to supply the projector with a better powercord or would you rather have them leave it out especially if you have some nice powercords lying around.

I personally don't know how much improvement a good powercord would be, my guess it won't be as much of a bang for the buck as for audio but it still might make a difference. Try them out.

·
Registered
2,008 Posts
Goosey: There are valid physical reasons why mains leads can affect performance. However debate about these things usually ends up in a bit of a slagging mathc so lets just leave it at "suck it and see", as we say in Scotland....

Gordon;)

·
Registered
6,092 Posts
Power cords are typically over-built to satisfy the UL.

The idea that exotic cable companies preach the necessity of exotic power cables really underminds their creditbility on all of their cable products

My favorite product from Monstercable. The QuickLockâ„¢ Gold Flex Pin connector:

http://www.monstercables.com/images_...rs/QL_flex.jpg

See the idea is you put your copper cable into this connector so that you can now put the gold end into your equipment. But you have to crimp your copper cable into their connect! What difference does it make. If the user is that concerned about corrosion, then the user should solder a gold connector on.

Then they go on with:

Quote:
Never Use Bare Speaker Wire Without Connectors

Speaker wire is made from copper wire that can corrode very quickly, rapidly deteriorating the performance of your cables and the overall performance of your system. To avoid this, always terminate your speaker wire with connectors. The kind of connector you need varies with the kinds of connectors on the back of your amp/receiver and your speakers.
This is just ********. Virtually all mid-priced on up speakers use twist down binding posts. The contact made has unmeasurably low resistance and will remain that way for the life of the equipment.

-Mr. Wigggles

·
Registered
2,099 Posts
After I rewired my whole house in gold, I found my computers work faster and my lights shine brighter, best $100K I have ever spent.....

·
Registered
4,720 Posts
Quote:
Originally posted by Tryg
I'm still looking for a solid platinum power cord. I heard they were superior to everything else. I heard you could get a good one for around $6000.
Yes - and Platinum is not even the best conductor.

Silver is the best conductor.

Good old Copper is the 2nd best conductor - better than Platinum.

·
Registered
1,645 Posts
I have a wireless power cord. I actually have three of them but they are hard to find when not plugged in

·
Registered
1,645 Posts
Quote:
Originally posted by Morbius
Yes - and Platinum is not even the best conductor.

Silver is the best conductor.

Good old Copper is the 2nd best conductor - better than Platinum.
Don't you mean oxygen free silver

·
Registered
2,763 Posts
Well, I see there's no shortage of sarcasm here, but I must say that some of the comments smack of inexperience in the case of replacing power cords. I haven't had the chance to try one with a projector yet, but won't hesitate to do so. The most respected critics and die hard skeptics usually come around to agreeing that changing a power cord can improve sound quality once they experience it for themselves. Unfortunately it's difficult to find the best cabling for a particular system synergistically (is that a word?).

There are dozens of very heated "Cable Wars" at every A/V website, so I'll stay out of this if it turns into the usual battle, I just don't have the time for it. With video, I changed the power cord on every DVD player I've owned (around ten) and EVERY time got a slight but noticeable picture improvement. There was less "white hash" which made black seem blacker. I doubt it did anything to the black level, it just cleaned up the noise within a solid black, and I got more solid colors without bleeding.

The effect was not as drastic as when I changed from Monster to Harmonic Technology component cables (same price by the way), but once seen I wouldn't want to go back to the stock power cord. The power cord I'm referring to can be had for between $100 - $160, not exactly a budget breaker, but not cheap either.

If someone spends say $6000- $10,000 on a projector, a little extra on a cord makes some sense, if only for peace of mind. There is only one answer to this question. Try as many power cords as you can get your hands on, some dealers will allow you to try three different brands for a small fee, which can be applied toward any purchase. So for less than $25 you can try out some of the better power cords for a week and see what happens. Contact Robert Stein at the Cable Company. http://www.fatwyre.com/ he is knowledgeable, helpful and respected. Really, just try it and see what happens.

I have a theory about seeing improvements in video. In audio, it often takes time to develop the skills to hear certain aspects of sound quality. Even after thirty years professionally, my listening skills continue to evolve. But, I think that people are naturally more skilled at seeing, partly because they do it all the time. Therefore a relatively small improvement in video quality is very noticeable. So, if a power cord improves things even a little, it is important.

Come on guys, trying a different power cord is not so strange when you consider the lengths many of us go to in getting the best picture possible.

·
Registered
12,980 Posts
I have several Radio Shack LED clocks in the power lines of the house and a large one right in the Monster 2000. This is the tweak of the century, (sends pulses back and forth through the houses electrical system, you'll notice better bass and clearer pictures! maybe :)

·
Registered
2,008 Posts
Goosey: See what I mean..........

Gordon

1 - 20 of 235 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.