AVS Forum banner
1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
110 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
ok - I'm finally found my $40 coupons (lost them for about 6 weeks!)

now of course, almost all the 'good ones' are gone - but anyways...

has anyone used these converters in their vehicle to update their car TV to use these Converters? we acquired a TV in our Denali (we bought used) - and it doesn't pick up much of anything - wondering if the converter will help

thanks!

·
Registered
5,019 Posts
Maybe - if you're doing a tailgate...

Oh - you want to watch while the car is moving ? - Forget about it - your best hope will be if any of your local stations are doing the ATSC M/H as part of what they transmit. Even then - you'll need a compatible tuner for your car.

Otherwise - You'll probably be reduced to using DVD's.

·
Registered
LG 55" C9 OLED, Yamaha RX-A660, Monoprice 5.1.2 Speakers, WMC HTPC, TiVo Bolt, X1
45,681 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Toadster /forum/post/17008667

ok - I'm finally found my $40 coupons (lost them for about 6 weeks!)

now of course, almost all the 'good ones' are gone - but anyways...

has anyone used these converters in their vehicle to update their car TV to use these Converters? we acquired a TV in our Denali (we bought used) - and it doesn't pick up much of anything - wondering if the converter will help

thanks!

Only when the vehicle is not moving would a converter box work.

There is different standard for Mobile Digital TV, which is in testing at this time. No date has been announced for when Mobile DTV products will be available.

See this topic for more details: http://www.avsforum.com/avs-vb/showthread.php?t=1029236

·
Registered
1,801 Posts
Wouldn't it have made more sense to come up with a digital TV method that'd work for both moving and stationary receivers? As it is now, a separate "Mobile DTV" system uses up more of the airwaves for a separate format.

·
Registered
5,124 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by gastrof /forum/post/17324232

Wouldn't it have made more sense to come up with a digital TV method that'd work for both moving and stationary receivers? As it is now, a separate "Mobile DTV" system uses up more of the airwaves for a separate format.

Yes, it would have. But nothing we can do about that now.

·
Registered
110 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·

Quote:
Originally Posted by gastrof /forum/post/17324232

less money to be made with one format

·
Registered
LG 55" C9 OLED, Yamaha RX-A660, Monoprice 5.1.2 Speakers, WMC HTPC, TiVo Bolt, X1
45,681 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Toadster /forum/post/17798020

less money to be made with one format

?

Not for the broadcasters.

·
Registered
224 Posts
Careful not to tread too heavily in this area folks, lest you summon some demon (with the initials "B.M.") who desires to refight 8-VSB vs COFDM. If you don't understand the reference, perhaps best to let it be...

·
Registered
2,744 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Inundated /forum/post/17211188

As noted above, you can't do it while moving, of course...the signal just won't hold.

I've seen it work for a few minutes at a time, with strong signals, but it's highly variable and is not worth trying.

I've even gotten locks on airplanes before. However, ATSC simply wasn't designed to work while moving.

FloTV does ok, in moderate to strong signal areas, but I have yet to test MDTV yet. I'm not aware of any active broadcasts in the LA area.

1 - 12 of 12 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.