Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
1,639 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
i just saw this in HD tonight.

they had gold, silver, and white- all pearlescant in quarts for $18.

i picked up the white , but i'm not sure if it will be worth it.

i actually find the blackout material to be fine for my needs (smooth, consistent, no hotspots, nor off-axis drop off, good blacks, bright whites, etc)

and last summer i tried some experiments with pearlescant flakes and various glazes.

i gave up when i didn't see much improvement/cost.

but i'm curious ( and an $18 tweak is right up my alley). they only had a couple left so i figured i'd snag it just in case.

so-- anybody here actually try this stuff?

have any idea on what kind of gain it would have?

edit: nevermind- a new search with the proper spelling answered my questions.

i think i'll be taking it back tomorrow.

·
Registered
1,199 Posts
Hay, I tried the silver and had good results with it.

Take a look at this thread "Mixing aluminum paint with grey paint" it's a few threads down on this forum their you'll see how I did it, and MAN it looks Good!!

Ddog!!

·
Registered
62 Posts
I used the white opal mixed with silver stag in a 1:1 ratio with my Z1 and it caused an unwatchable amount of reflection on all bright scenes. Others on the board have had great success with it but it didn't work for me even when I thinned it to a 1:5 ratio. In the end I settled on the Behr ultra white.

·
Registered
1,199 Posts
That's why I used a little bit of flat base in my cocktail. (read the other thread)

Ddog!!

·
Registered
890 Posts
Yes,........the straight pearlescent is a bit too hot as people have discovered. As ddog suggests, you should mix in some flat base, whether this be white or grey. Do some sample batches starting with 50/50 mix, apply, let dry and test with a projected image. A good idea is to make a long test strip that covers most of the image width in the horizontal .

·
Registered
867 Posts
Quote:
Originally posted by ddog
That's why I used a little bit of flat base in my cocktail. (read the other thread)

Ddog!!
Also topcoat with clear mat to take the shine off. Same brand paint thats made to go over the crackle etc...

1 - 6 of 6 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.