Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
18 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi all,

Has anyone used one of these convertors ? I am looking at getting an AE100 and thought that this would be a cheap way of go progressive scan into the VGA port of the AE100.

What do you all think?

Thanks,

Tom.

·
Registered
18 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Only found one place so far in Sydney and they only want $399 Aussie dollars, delivered.

So that would make it about $200 US.

Tom.

·
Registered
18 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Quote:
Originally posted by gotapex
Looks a lot like the $90 (US) Viewsonic VB50HRTV.

http://www.viewsonic.com/products/video_vb50hrtv.htm
True, but does the viewsonic supports 3:2 pull down conversion for film mode & 2:2 pull down for graphics?

The Grandtec is like a cheap IScan Pro that sells for around AU$2500 out here, so it may just be worth it for those people running an AE100 with an Interlaced DVD only etc.

Tom.

·
Registered
5,132 Posts
Yes it does and yes it is the same unit as VB50HRTV except for PAL support (VB50 is NTSC only for TV tuning and processing, unless you're using the passthrough then it'll pass PAL unmolested). Another name for VB50's capable unit is XGA theater made by TV-one for $150 USD. All these similar scalers are lower end, may have subtle differences (PAL vs. NTSC, different resolutions, etc.), and can't rival DVDo or more expensive scalers; however, they may beat crappier scalers builtin to some cheap PJs like the sub-2.5K PJ's (LT150 and AE100 are 2 on top of my head).

·
Registered
1 Posts
So no one has tried one of these? I was recently on vacation in SE Asia and picked up a Grand Televiewer in Taipei. Actually I was looking for computer hardware and noticed these boxes on the last night I was there. It sounded pretty good and they were cheap so I bought one.

The problem is that even though almost every hardware store in the plaza sold them, none of them sold or knew about the optional 15pin VGA to component cable that you need to output to a tv. The box has a picture of the cable but no part number. Since I was running out of time I only found one place that had something remotely like what I was looking for. It was a 15pin to 3 rca so it fits all the connectors but it doesn't seem to work. I didn't really expect it to since it kind of looked like a hack job. The 3 rca cables were yellow, red, and white which looks like the usual video,left,right composite connectors but I don't know which device outputs audio out of a 15 pin connector.

Anyways, as it stands I am back in Canada without a cable. The unit itself seems to work cause it will accept signals and output it as vga. Unfortunately I wanted it for outputing to my TV which only has component inputs for progressive signals. I sent an inquriy to Grandtec sometime ago but no repsonse.

Does anyone know where I can buy one of these cables online? I've seen some similar cables for projectors but I don't know if those would work with this thing.

·
Registered
477 Posts
I doubt that the Grand Video Explorer is the same as the Zinwell made ProV aka TV-4000 (PAL cousine to VB50). The Grand Video Explorer is a pure line doubler and lack the built in TV-tuner. The Grand Video Explorer is sold in Sweden for ~ $1600 plus VAT.

It has been reviewed on the Swedish AV-forums and has also been compared side by side with an IScan Pro. Here is a short summery:

The Grand Video Explorer was found useful with some LCD-projectors but not all. The performance with a CRT-projector was impressive. The IScan Pro won side by side but the testers doubted that they would have noticed the difference if not tested side by side. The Grand Video Explorer picture was found a bit softer than the one of the IScan Pro. To sum it up, great value for money if you need a line doubler.

I personally find the new products Grand Tele Viewer , Grand Tele Viewer Pro and Grand Vision 2000 Pro more interesting. Especially the Grand Tele Viewer as an alternative TV-tuner, line doubler and scaler on a budget. With 3:2 and 2:2 pull down, Motion-adaptive interfiled de-interlacing, 50-to-60HZ frame rate conversion, 480P/576P, 640*480, 800*600,1024*768, Y.Pb.Pr and VGA output etc.

I haven’t managed to find a reseller within EU though and I have no idea of what the price would be. If any one got additional information about these units please let me know...

1 - 9 of 9 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.