AVS Forum banner

Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 3 of 3 Posts

·
Registered
859 Posts
The card's front end certainly looks to be composed of the Philips TUV1236D NIM , which has proven to be a good performer (OTA reception wise). As the TUV1236D comprises an ATI Nxt2004 deomodulator (along with a Philips tuner, a Philips analog demodulator), the card is, in addition to OTA reception, also quite capable of digital cable reception. But of course the other side of the story is drivers and viewing apps that can make use of such functions, and without them your left with just OTA reception like a certain other very similar card *cough* HDTV Wonder *cough*

The card's back end is more of a value solution as it appears to be centred around the older, but still widely used, (Conexant) BT878A. There are a few other ICs on board which I persume would be preforming audio processing on the A/V inputs (as, IIRC, the BT878A has very limited audio capabilities).

All in all, it's digital signal handling should be good while its analog performance would, at best, probably be nothing to write home about...but possibly nothing to shake a stick at either. However, the caution sign I see with this card is the question of software support -- this should be a big concern to potential buyers. Nonetheless, I for one welcome new entrants and the continued errosion of digital tuner price points.

1 - 3 of 3 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.