AVS Forum banner
1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
38 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Does it taste the same as the unhealthy transfat versions? if it tastes significantly different maybe ill go with the unhealthy stuff.

Looking for the best tasting possibility minus the transfats

·
Registered
573 Posts
I use organic coconut oil for popcorn all the time. It tastes awesome and is good for you. Even if does not taste as good as other oils, dont you care enough about your health to make the switch? Trans fats are horrible for you.

Before the one or two people on the board who will bring up saturated fats in coconut oil, do some research on it first. There are different kinds of saturated fats and coconut oil is very healthy, but like any other oil it is high in calories.

·
Registered
38 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·

Quote:
Originally Posted by Remax /forum/post/19571081

I use organic coconut oil for popcorn all the time. It tastes awesome and is good for you. Even if does not taste as good as other oils, dont you care enough about your health to make the switch? Trans fats are horrible for you.

Before the one or two people on the board who will bring up saturated fats in coconut oil, do some research on it first. There are different kinds of saturated fats and coconut oil is very healthy, but like any other oil it is high in calories.

I've been doing my research on the types of coconut oil and i understand its healthier for you than the partially hydrogenated stuff.

Is the oil you are using Refined or Non Refined. I understand one removes all the coconut flavor from the oil.

could you post a link to the product you are using? thanks!

I was just currious about taste. I'm currently using Orville Redenbacher's Popping & Topping Buttery Flavor Popcorn Oil, but it gives no flavor whatso ever and i'm not really enjoying my popcorn :)

I have a carton of flavacol but im missing the oil! :)

·
Registered
573 Posts
I use expeller brand unrefined Organic virgin coconut oil. Just a quick search on Amazon brought up 454 of organic virgin coconut oils so theres a lot to choose from. I bought mine from Whole Foods. Mine smells like coconuts but doesnt really seem to alter the taste of foods when I cook with it, but maybe i'm just used to it. Give it a try, you will probably like it.

·
Registered
4,378 Posts
After using many oils and toppings for years including coconut oil, lately I've been using STAR Extra Light in Flavor Olive oil as butter topping. The consistency is extremely close to movie topping and the flavor is pretty good, and without an "olive" taste.

The benefits are a MUCH healthier topping, and easy grocery store availability.

1 - 5 of 5 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.