AVS Forum banner

21 - 40 of 43 Posts

·
Registered
7,169 Posts
. So allot of people who want to get that will buy one like the Panasonic or Samung.
You do realize that Samsung 8500/9500 can't even play 3D BD's when making that recommendation. :eek:

·
Registered
506 Posts
Blu-ray players are $50 on special, weigh next to nothing and have remotes that appear to have been found down the back of the couch...
Multi-format players are the last bastion of disc spinners, even then they will disappear as streaming becomes the default choice (if it's not already). Quality and selection will only improve over time - it's happening folk.

Even CD player manufacturers are struggling to find someone who can supply them with disc mechanisms - companies are simply not making them anymore and stockpiles are all but gone. It's the same store for terrestrial radio tuners...

·
Registered
5,878 Posts

·
Registered
7,169 Posts

·
Registered
126 Posts
Yes I do, however I think your missing my point.

3D is something that never really took off like they thought it would. Which is why you don't see allot of 3D blu-rays even though it's been around for so long and manufacturers have been making 3D ready TV's for a long time now. Within a couple of years you will see many more ultra HD blu-rays than you will 3D. Manufacturers know this, thus is why allot are not making 3D ready TV's anymore and putting more effort into other technology. Every piece of tech that is put into a TV or Blu-ray player cost money, and if the demand isn't there then they are going to try and save money by not including it. Lets face it, the demand for 3D isn't really there. But the demand of high picture quality and advanced streaming capabilities is. I have a 3D capable TV, 3D ready AVR and 3D blu-ray player, but I can honestly say that I have never watched anything in 3D. manly because I just haven't found any blu-rays that I like which were 3D.

SACD's and DVD-audio is another format that didn't quite take off like they thought either. Especially DVD-audio Aside from a select group of audiophiles who own SACD's the vast majority of music listeners now will listen to music via streaming. Especially now with high res Flac files available. Music purists and audiophiles who own SACD's generally are the ones who invest in really good high end 2 channel systems with good CD players and not even worry about blu-ray players.

Back to my point about blu-ray players and manufacturers. They are going to put their R&D and money into what they know is going to be in demand. 3D, SACD and DVD-video just aren't in demand right now for the majority of consumers like Ultra HD and steaming capabilities are. And for the consumers who want all of that, well I guess that's where something like the Oppo player comes in. Although for myself, I wouldn't get an Oppo. I would rather buy a good CD player (which I have) and a good blu-ray player (which I don't have).

Which takes me back to the point about Denon not making an UD player anymore. Back in the day there was a demand for it, and they along with Marantz made some really good ones. But now the money seems to be more in streaming audio for them and AVR's.

You do realize that Samsung 8500/9500 can't even play 3D BD's when making that recommendation. :eek:

·
Registered
2,081 Posts
I just wish Marantz/Denon would just take the Oppo 203/205 charge $100-$200 more, slap a badge on it and add copper. Nothing better than having matching components.
Would love an upgrade to the UD9004.

·
Registered
2,584 Posts
I just was perusing the Denon site for a universal disc player and noticed the absence of such a category, so I used their "chat" feature to talk to a rep. He confirmed that Denon no longer is making any players.

The thing is, my Denon AVR X5200 has this Denon Link connection and I thought it might be nice to hook up a Denon player that also had Denon Link. The purpose would be to compare the audio quality to that which I get from my Oppo 203 UHD Blu-ray universal disc player with CD, SACD, and DVD-Audio. Has anybody done such a comparison, and, if so, what were your impressions?

I could probably pick up a 3313 on the used market. The 3313 actually still appears on the Denon site; if you do an internet search, you get a link and you can go to the page.

·
Vendor
26,667 Posts
They may have decided they've lost the fight with Oppo. Seems like that's their most direct competitor. Plus, I believe Sony has undercut them with a similar quality player.
Well with Oppo going away.......now what ?? Maybe D & M will fill the new void.......

·
Registered
2,095 Posts
There are rumors that the AVR/speaker market might get lean, too. Millennials prefer sound bars.

·
Registered
1 Posts
I currently have the Denon UDT-1713 BluRay player. I've been waiting for them to release a 4K player, so I check their site for any news every once in a while. I noticed that they took off all mentions of players entirely off the US site. What gives? Is Denon not going to make a 4K player or something?
I recently contacted Denon Canada and asked if there were any plans to release a 4K UHD universal Blue-ray player and they replied that they did not see one on the roadmap. This is a great disappointment for me after just having purchased the new AVR X8500H. Without a modern and compatible Denon disc player (preferably audiophile grade) The Denon Link is a feature that ought not be boasted. In fact, I find it useless.

·
Registered
4,356 Posts
Looks like Pioneer is trying to fill the high-end universal player gap with the LX500, but at the ~$1k price point.

I understand wanting the latest/greatest, but if DVD-A/SACD is your thing, it seems an older high(er/ish)-end universal player and separate UHD player offers a MUCH better value proposition. Seems like a Denon 2930CI and an LG UP970 (or most other mid-range UHD players) could do everything you could need (Ranging from DVD-A/SACD/Denon-Link to UHD/HDR/Dolby Vision and even 3D) for like $300.

While not quite the same situation, I'm currently trying to decide if I want to replace my otherwise perfectly capable Samsung M8500 UHD player with one that still supports 3D, or just leave it in place and add an inexpensive older used 3D capable BD player to supplement it.

·
Registered
78 Posts
They no longer have any blu-ray players listed on their website. No hope for 4k player ??
The first 20 seconds is telling; I interpret this as there is no player in the works at all

·
Registered
1,280 Posts
Basically, its just Panasonic 9000 as the only high-end player

And other than build quality, I'm not really sure what it offers over the UB820 except Analog outs.

·
Registered
78 Posts
And other than build quality, I'm not really sure what it offers over the UB820 except Analog outs.
I think I read that the UB9000 has the tone mapping for projectors, whereas the UB820 doesn't? So, there is that too.

Regarding the build quality. I admire this device every time I load a disk. Initially I debated the cost over those two features that I "don't need", but wow... after looking at it in my rack, I don't regret getting it over the 820 at all!

·
Registered
1,280 Posts
I think I read that the UB9000 has the tone mapping for projectors, whereas the UB820 doesn't? So, there is that too.

Regarding the build quality. I admire this device every time I load a disk. Initially I debated the cost over those two features that I "don't need", but wow... after looking at it in my rack, I don't regret getting it over the 820 at all!

Both the UB820 and the UB420 have the same tone mapping features as the UB9000

·
Registered
316 Posts
Both the UB820 and the UB420 have the same tone mapping features as the UB9000

No.
The UB420 and UB820 do not have the
Tone Mapping function for projectors.
Only for LCDs and OLEDs.
Whereas the UB9000 has this function for projectors.

€: Welp, looks like those players do indeed have a projector setting (but to my defend: the 9000 still has one more setting for projectors :D). On those players the projector option is combined with the Basic Luminance LCD setting. On the UB9000 Panasonic LCD and projector settings are seperated.

21 - 40 of 43 Posts