AVS Forum banner

Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
194 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Ive trawled this site for some time trying to find if anyone has built the PC equivalent of a projector hush box.

Surely some sort of enclosure for the pc case would subdue some of the infernal noise!

Obviously there are issues with heat, but Id love to hear if anyone has tried this.

·
Registered
1,460 Posts
My HTPC sits inside a custom cabinet (oak) with vents in back. Lowers the noise from 58dB SPL @ 1m to 50dB. I sit ~4m from it and can hardly hear it.

·
Registered
3,316 Posts
I think a lot of people make the HTPC the hush box by lining it with felt or Dynamat.

Also, you can look into quiet fans, HDs and DVD drives to make the hush box unnecessary.

·
Registered
1,406 Posts
I've been making the computer housing the hush box. I basically did everything that Huey did to his. I used Dynamat along with carpet to deaden the sound radiating from the metal housing, then stuffed the open areas like I would a speaker cabinet. The only thing that I hear now is the power supply fan. I'm going to try something different with it today. I might slow it down since my computer doesn't get that hot.

I can't really measure the db level like everyone else since mine only goes down to 55db. So I went from 60 db at 15" to 56db at 15" after the changes. Can't wait to do something with the fan.

·
Registered
46 Posts
I built a new cabinet for all my components, including the htpc, I also added drawers that are sized for dvd instead of VHS. I used 3/4 MDF and I have to open the door to tell if the pc is on.

·
Registered
1,406 Posts
Ken;

How did you build your cabinet? How does air flow through. That sounds like a good idea that I wouldn't mind starting on.

--I added a variable resistor to the power supply fan and have decreased the rpm's slightly. I've been monitoring the temperature for a couple of hours now and everything is still fine. This has greatly decreased the dbl level to 56dbl at 3"

·
Registered
46 Posts
I posted some pictures in the members gallery under digital projector theaters.

For cooling purposes, the back of the cabinet is made of pegboard, I also made the opening for the pc pretty wide so air could flow around the case.

also, I used a dremel tool to cut away the fan grills on the back of the case, this improved the flow and helped cut down on the noise.

·
Registered
4,129 Posts
I put both of my computers in the room adjacent to my theater/office. I use 25' VGA cables from Digital Connection, USB extensions, and wireless mouse/keyboard to make all the connections. The walls, ceiling and doors of the theater/office are insulated. I can't even hear the PCs :D

1 - 8 of 8 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.