AVS Forum banner
1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
108 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hello I had a P50G20 (i think that was the name) Plasma a few years back and the constant buzzing sound was just too much. I think it has something to do with the fact that I live in Colorado. Looking at the TC-p60ST60 it really makes me want to go back to Plasma for picture quality but I'm wondering if that same buzzing sound is most likely still gunna be there?

Thanks

·
Premium Member
18,322 Posts
Colorado's altitude is not the cause of your buzzing - Panasonics are rated for use above 9,000 feet and i've never seen anyone reporting an altitude-related buzz in all my years on this forum.

Excessive buzzing is caused by various defects such as loose board screws, an out-of-spec panel module, and most commonly a defect in the power supply or a defective coil on one of the various video boards inside the TV. If you can hear buzzing from a normal viewing distance while watching bright content then something is wrong with the TV. Most of us have quiet Plasmas, and lots of people who had buzzers had them repaired successfully and now their TV is quiet.

if anyone gets a buzzer, they should return it, replace it, or repair it. Don't settle for buzzing - they're really not supposed to buzz. I have four of em, three are silent beyond 1-3 feet, but my oldest one is getting louder and we can now hear it if we sit on the coffee table 5 feet from the screen. This TV is going to Granny's house since she's hard of hearing

Related thread:
http://www.avsforum.com/t/1249688/panasonic-42-inch-g25-buzzing-issue/60#post_19730248

Reactions: sheshechic

·
Registered
7,003 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by RandyWalters  /t/1470415/has-plasma-gotten-any-better-with-the-buzzing-noises#post_23256733

Colorado's altitude is not the cause of your buzzing - Panasonics are rated for use above 9,000 feet and i've never seen anyone reporting an altitude-related buzz in all my years on this forum.

Excessive buzzing is caused by various defects such as loose board screws, an out-of-spec panel module, and most commonly a defect in the power supply or a defective coil on one of the various video boards inside the TV. If you can hear buzzing from a normal viewing distance while watching bright content then something is wrong with the TV. Most of us have quiet Plasmas, and lots of people who had buzzers had them repaired successfully and now their TV is quiet.

if anyone gets a buzzer, they should return it, replace it, or repair it. Don't settle for buzzing - they're really not supposed to buzz. I have four of em, three are silent beyond 1-3 feet, but my oldest one is getting louder and we can now hear it if we sit on the coffee table 5 feet from the screen. This TV is going to Granny's house since she's hard of hearing

Related thread:
http://www.avsforum.com/t/1249688/panasonic-42-inch-g25-buzzing-issue/60#post_19730248

I think it's how sensitive ppl are to it as well. as I type this, I can hear my tv buzzing, it's no louder than the buzzing I hear when there are lights on in the room, or the sound I hear when old CRT's are turned on. it's not distracting at all during use imo though. I honestly just don't think you can have that much electricity flowing without it making some noise.

for me it's always been one of those things where I can't refute ppl's claims, but I ask myself 'what do you expect?'. I've just always associated a slight buzzing sound to all electronics. lcd's do it too, but for whatever reason nobody complains about them

·
Registered
108 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·

Quote:
Originally Posted by fierce_gt  /t/1470415/has-plasma-gotten-any-better-with-the-buzzing-noises#post_23256913

I think it's how sensitive ppl are to it as well. as I type this, I can hear my tv buzzing, it's no louder than the buzzing I hear when there are lights on in the room, or the sound I hear when old CRT's are turned on. it's not distracting at all during use imo though. I honestly just don't think you can have that much electricity flowing without it making some noise.

for me it's always been one of those things where I can't refute ppl's claims, but I ask myself 'what do you expect?'. I've just always associated a slight buzzing sound to all electronics. lcd's do it too, but for whatever reason nobody complains about them

I dunno my Panasonic buzzing during bright scenes was unbearable. You could literally hear the buzzing over Transformers blasting on the speakers or something. I have an LED and i don't hear anything at all.. I even swapped out my Panasonic for another one when I bought it and there was no difference. I suppose I could have just gotten unlucky and gotten 2 defective units.

·
Registered
7,003 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by DreamAgain2  /t/1470415/has-plasma-gotten-any-better-with-the-buzzing-noises#post_23256972

I dunno my Panasonic buzzing during bright scenes was unbearable. You could literally hear the buzzing over Transformers blasting on the speakers or something. I have an LED and i don't hear anything at all.. I even swapped out my Panasonic for another one when I bought it and there was no difference. I suppose I could have just gotten unlucky and gotten 2 defective units.

well that does sound quite a bit louder than what i've experienced. i've never heard anything on mine louder than what CRT tv's were like. could be that the models you had were poor offenders. i know my samsung had a lot of ppl complaining about it buzzing. when i first bought it i didn't notice anything, but after pointed out and i went looking for it i heard what they were talking about. then my reaction was more of a 'oh, that's it?'

i notice it only when surfing the net, flipping back and forth between dark webpages(near silence) and bright webpages(quiet electrical buzz) makes it more apparent. if it were completely constant i wouldn't pay any attention to it.

the lcd's definitely don't seem to be as bad, but i can still tell whether it's off or on by the sound. again, not distracting, and pretty much any other ambient noise washes it out completely.

·
Registered
1,016 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by fierce_gt  /t/1470415/has-plasma-gotten-any-better-with-the-buzzing-noises#post_23256913

My two 2008 CCFL Sonys didn't buzz, but they make a rather loud pure tone sound that increased the darker the picture got and varied somewhat with the backlight setting. My 2010 CCFL Sony is much quieter. The plasma buzz is louder and a lot more fatiguing to listen to.

As for other electronics, my Denon and Pioneer Elite AVRs have similar levels of transformer buzz. My Polk subwoofer buzzes in standby, and it was annoying enough that I replaced it with a Martin Logan subwoofer, which thankfully has been buzz-free and basically perfect going on 3 years. Polk replaced the amp once under warranty after it died, and the replacement amp buzzed exactly the same. The Denon is now in the bedroom, along with the Polk subwoofer. The Pioneer and ML are in my computer room, and the Pioneer can sometimes be annoying enough that I will turn it off when I'm not playing any audio, which means giving up computer sounds, as it's the amp for my computer. Note that while it's not particularly loud (and not even remotely playing the same game as plasmas), it can be louder than the PC and much more annoying in character. That's how quiet I've managed to build the PC with Acoustipacked Antec P182 case, undervolted quiet fans, fanless video card, SSD and green hard drives mounted with silicone grommets, Seasonic PSU whose fan typically doesn't fun, etc. And it's not a clean power issue or grounding issue or interference issue or anything like that. I've even minimized the coupling to the very rigid, very solid Anthrocart desk the amp sits on by using silicone bumpers, and the AnthroCart sits on carpet. It's just the way it is and happens wherever it's installed, including on different electrical circuits. The biggest variable is the surface it sits on, with hollowish dressers being worse than my AnthroCart. It was certainly harder to minimize the Denon's buzz when I moved it from desk to dresser.

In contrast to the CCFL Sonys and the plasmas, the two Sony LED sets I had for a while six months ago were totally silent beyond ear pressed against them. (That and the low power usage were just about the only good things about them.) The two Panasonic ST60s and one S60 I've had were all loud buzzers. Their buzz tracked the APL and was easily audible at 10 feet in a quiet room with CATS off and Contrast at 60 in high APL scenes like the typical Family Guy living room scene, where it was frequently noticeable over dialogue and even soft background music. Thankfully, most other programs fare much better, and the buzz usually isn't a problem. I actually took the backs off the first ST60 and S60 to verify the back panel didn't contribute to the noise, that they were using lock washers on the circuit boards, had no cracked or vibrating components, etc, IOW all the things I've read that can cause a fixable buzz, and those causes were absent as far as I could tell. The reviews posted here on the ST60 and F8500 noted buzz in a store environment at 6' and 8-9', respectively. The Flatpanelshd ST60 review commented on the buzz, noting "no real improvements here" (implication - it's a common and ongoing problem). Other reviews I've seen didn't mention buzz one way or the other. They also didn't mention things like RBE.

What you say about being unable to refute claims is certainly true. In researching plasmas, I found two camps, those who say all plasmas buzz at sitting distance, and those who say it's a defect if you can hear it a foot or two away. My very limited experience has been in line with the former. I don't believe ordinary sample variation can make this big a difference. My two ST60s and one S60 were manufactured in three different months, and I think the buzzing is inherent to the design. Looking back, I don't have much luck getting a loud product and exchanging it for a quiet one. It did not happen with four refrigerators from three manufacturers, despite many people claiming theirs is "silent". (I'd have been happy if I couldn't hear the compressor 50' away around a corner.) It did not happen with my Polk subwoofer when I replaced the amp. A second Denon AVR buzzed just like the first one and the Pioneer Elite. The only thing that comes to mind is my Chamberlain garage door opener, which had a very loud, constant buzz from the moment it was installed. It was obviously defective, and the replacement was silent when not in use, just like every other I'd seen in my life. In other products, I've noticed only small variations from sample to sample, and for me to get a non-buzzing plasma, it would be like the garage door opener. Instead, it's proven to be like the refrigerator, with two camps, one saying they're all loud, and the other saying theirs is silent, and my experience being consistent with the first group.

·
Registered
783 Posts
You may be like me and just have ears that are particularly tuned into hearing that frequency of buzzing. I've never been around a plasma that I couldn't hear buzzing from viewing distance in bright, quiet scenes. I've returned two for that and stubborn IR worries, and have been around probably 4 or 5 others at friends or families places in recent years. There are definitely some that buzz louder than others in my experience. And both times I tried plasma I had them send a tech out to try and quiet it (first was a vizio, and they replaced the power board, 2nd was a Panny UT50 and they just replaced screws) and neither time made any difference in volume.

But again, I think I just have bad luck as I'm often hearing the fridge or other appliances buzz when other people say they can't hear it--and I'm particularly annoyed by hearing that frequency of buzzing. So I think the VAST majority of folks can find a plasma where they never hear the buzzing at viewing distance. But there are probably other unlucky saps like me who hear it on every plasma they're around at 8-10 feet away during bright, quiet scenes. And for those of us it's just a matter of how much it annoys us. For me I had to give up as between that and the stubborn IR I get given I watch hours of ESPN and play a lot of video games I just couldn't have any peace of mind with plasma. Love the PQ, but I'm not really a videophile anyway.

·
Registered
7,003 Posts
^^ see I hear the electrical buzz all the time too, but I don't find it annoying. I 'tune it out' very quickly. I think the only reason I would put the plasma buzz just slightly beyond the rest is because it changes depending on the picture.

anyway, I guess the safe way to answer this is that if it bothered you before, it's probably still going to bother you. CCFL's aren't perfect but they are quieter, and from my experience most consistent. I only managed to have an LED at home for a week, and I was way too focused on trying to get the clouding/flashlighting to go away to pay any attention to buzzing. but it does make sense to me that the amount of buzz would be related to the amount of power consumed. so more efficient LED TV's should be quieter for sure.

I don't have super high end audio gear, just a pioneer 1018 receiver, but i'd say the buzzing I get from my plasma is in line with the amount of 'static' my receiver puts out. very minor imo, and something I can very quickly tune out.

I wonder if the buzzing noise is something that would be a good candidate for active noise cancellation. would be pretty neat if some manufacture included a small mic on the tv (maybe it's already there for video chat) and played the inverse sound over the TV's speakers to cancel out the buzzing. not sure if this would be feasible or if that would be too much distance between sound sources to effectively cancel the buzzing in all seating locations.

·
Registered
783 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by fierce_gt  /t/1470415/has-plasma-gotten-any-better-with-the-buzzing-noises#post_23261388

^^ see I hear the electrical buzz all the time too, but I don't find it annoying. I 'tune it out' very quickly. I think the only reason I would put the plasma buzz just slightly beyond the rest is because it changes depending on the picture.

anyway, I guess the safe way to answer this is that if it bothered you before, it's probably still going to bother you. CCFL's aren't perfect but they are quieter, and from my experience most consistent. I only managed to have an LED at home for a week, and I was way too focused on trying to get the clouding/flashlighting to go away to pay any attention to buzzing. but it does make sense to me that the amount of buzz would be related to the amount of power consumed. so more efficient LED TV's should be quieter for sure.

That it's intermittent is definitely why it drove me nuts. I live in the city so there's plenty of constant ambient noise I've learned to tune out--loud AC tower units outside (live in a high rise), hallway ac unit outside my door, my own ac unit/furnace, my fridge buzzing a little, traffic etc. But that it just buzzed loudly on bright quite scenes always snapped me out of whatever I was watching and drove me nuts. If it was constant I'd eventually tune it out like everything else.

I have a Panny LED (55" ET5 series) now, I don't hear any buzzing on it at all. Just a very faint hum if I put my ear right up against the back of it. Definitely the quietest TV I've owned.

·
Registered
3,603 Posts
I have an ST60 and the buzz is minimal. Haven't heard it once since watching the TV. As a matter of fact, I haven't really heard it buzz except for the first couple of days when running slides and there was no sound. I do not hear a thing anymore from the TV. I sit about 14 ft and even when the sound is low I do not hear it.

On my Samsung plasma I could hear the buzz on low scenes. I think each individual TV has a mind of it's own though. You can probably set up 5 of the same TV's in a room and get 5 different level of buzz.

1 - 11 of 11 Posts