AVS Forum banner

1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
39 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
I have been informed by Revel dealer that Revel has, at this time, discontinued the W990 series speakers and they do not have any in stock to fulfill the order. They might decide to bring them back at a later date, but that would not be a decision they make until at least the end of the year.

He was told that the best in-wall speakers they will have available to fulfill the order are the W873’s

So not even W893??

I can see W990 available on websites like crutchfield etc

Has any one else heard about this thing?

·
Premium Member
4,855 Posts
I know that inventory levels are low on certain items and even sold out on others.

A friend of mine that is a Revel dealer had an order foe-filled last month. He may still have some (I don’t think 7) remaining.

·
Registered
603 Posts
I have been informed by Revel dealer that Revel has, at this time, discontinued the W990 series speakers and they do not have any in stock to fulfill the order. They might decide to bring them back at a later date, but that would not be a decision they make until at least the end of the year.

He was told that the best in-wall speakers they will have available to fulfill the order are the W873’️s

So not even W893??

I can see W990 available on websites like crutchfield etc

Has any one else heard about this thing?
I bought the last 16 new stock available to dealers in the US market not long ago. Attached are pics of a small truckload of them I had brought in along with other models for projects.

The 893 & the highest end 990 may be back at some point, but there is no near eta based on what I have been told as a dealer, which is why I bought the remaining stock. It's an outstanding speaker and one of the best in-walls under $2,000/ea MSRP. I use them in theaters for my clients all the time. The 873 is not in the same category as the 990. I wouldn't consider it as a substitute for main LCR theater use.

Crutchfield may have some back stock available.

Attachments

·
Premium Member
1,389 Posts
So not even W893??
I bought four W893 at the end of April, which came from dealer stock - the rest of my speakers were drop shipped from Harman's warehouse in Kentucky - so it may be worth calling around but I think the April sale really wiped out most stock. However, one came damaged and trying to get that sorted hasn't been possible yet. Fortunately, it was just the capacitor in the boundary compensation circuit, that gets shorted out when that switch is in the off position, was loose in the box. I installed the speaker anyway as I use them with that in the off position, but getting a replacement or even just a new capacitor to solder in myself if I ever remove them, hasn't come to fruition yet.

·
Registered
39 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
I bought the last 16 new stock available to dealers in the US market not long ago. Attached are pics of a small truckload of them I had brought in along with other models for projects.

The 893 & the highest end 990 may be back at some point, but there is no near eta based on what I have been told as a dealer, which is why I bought the remaining stock. It's an outstanding speaker and one of the best in-walls under $2,000/ea MSRP. I use them in theaters for my clients all the time. The 873 is not in the same category as the 990. I wouldn't consider it as a substitute for main LCR theater use.

What about Revel W970 or F206?

·
Registered
603 Posts

What about Revel W970 or F206?
The W990 is far superior to the W970. W990 is a 3way speaker and also features a much larger 9" woofer. The W970 is a 2way design with a 7" woofer. The two speakers really only share 2 things between them: tweeter/controls, & aluminum face plate.

The F206 is a different thing all together. Similarities are there, yes, but the W990 offers several advantages over the F206 for a media room application.

·
Registered
39 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
The W990 is far superior to the W970. W990 is a 3way speaker and also features a much larger 9" woofer. The W970 is a 2way design with a 7" woofer. The two speakers really only share 2 things between them: tweeter/controls, & aluminum face plate.

The F206 is a different thing all together. Similarities are there, yes, but the W990 offers several advantages over the F206 for a media room application.
I am looking for alternative to W990 since they are not available and no ETA when they will be back. Someone mentioned most likely they won't be back this year.

What would be equivalent to W990 in wall speaker in other brands in Harman family?

·
Premium Member
4,855 Posts
I am looking for alternative to W990 since they are not available and no ETA when they will be back. Someone mentioned most likely they won't be back this year.

What would be equivalent to W990 in wall speaker in other brands in Harman family?
The Harman family is Revel and JBL. The W990 is the flagship of Revel in walls. You can consider the SCL series from JBL but they 2x the cost on average.

·
Registered
12,727 Posts

Just had to comment that you really, literally, meant "a small truckload of them". :D

A little surprised they dropped their best('ish) in-wall; I would have thought they would still be in demand.

·
Registered
603 Posts
Just had to comment that you really, literally, meant "a small truckload of them". :D

A little surprised they dropped their best('ish) in-wall; I would have thought they would still be in demand.
Ha! Yes, I wasn't kidding!

Regarding the W893/W990, these are not eliminated. I just think production/delivery of them is delayed through end of year (at least). I will cover how/why this kind of thing happens in a future podcast!

1 - 12 of 12 Posts