Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 20 of 21 Posts

·
Registered
3,372 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
The facts:

Sony's top-of-the line multichannel SACD changer is the 5 disc SCD-C555ES. I believe there is only one multichannel player that is more expensive (from Sony . . . think it's the XA-777ES)

Stereophile just put out a glowing review, proclaiming the 555ES and multichannel SACD in particular to be the "new, new thing" in audio.

Almost on the heels of the Stereophile review, the price on the unit dropped over 25%.

The Sony TA-P9000ES, really a one-of-a-kind product, makes the addition of multichannel SACD a very easy thing to do--street price under $500 (the TA-P9000ES is a purely analog preamp that can be joined with any surround processor/preamp that has rca outputs).

The SCD-C555ES can now be had for $775, and probably lower in the upcoming weeks. Keep in mind that this piece debuted a few months ago with a MSRP of $1700. Sounds like Sony wants to put a high end SACD player in every audio pot, and they are cutting costs aggressively to do just that.

Fortunately, the TA-P9000ES (which is now available, kids) will not only bypass the signal of your surround processor, but it will accept two multichannel audio signals.--room for both formats, to be sure. But it sure is easy to put SACD in one of those inputs.

Nick :cool:

·
Registered
1,611 Posts
The top end SACD players from Sony are single disc players. The SCD-1 was the first and the top of the line. The second was the ES 777. Both of these were 2 channel players. The 777 is being re-released as a multi-channel SACD. The third is the ES9000 DVD player (but won't play CD-Rs... bummer).

·
Registered
3,372 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Quote:
Originally posted by dcarl
Where is the TA-P9000es available?

-Dave
From me, if you want mine!

Serioiusly, I got mine on Friday, October 19, but, alas, the switch from Balanced connections to RCA connections on my amp introduced a buzz in my system. I emailed Oade Bros. and told them I was returning it. I'm hoping to negotiate the restocking fee down to $25, if not, I may just sell it.

I paid $450, plus shipping. I'll sell it for $425, and I'll ship it (same as I would with Oade Bros.). It is out of the box, once, and will go back in the box, upon return or sale. The unit is built like a tank. Too bad I've got too much going on in my system that I really require balanced connections.

If you're not interested, you can pick one up at Oade Bros, and OneCall has them in stock, too.

·
Registered
1,941 Posts

Originally posted by Nicholas

From me, if you want mine!

Seriously, I got mine on Friday, October 19, but, alas, the switch from Balanced connections to RCA connections on my amp introduced a buzz in my system.

Hi Nicholas,

How are you connecting the unit that a balanced input of your amp is being used? Are you using an rca-xlr adapter going from the TAP-9000es into a balanced amp? Maybe if you float the ground plug from your sony preamp or your balanced amp with a cheater plug? I wouldn't give up on that unit as your other choice is the Meitner unit at $3200!

·
Premium Member
7,233 Posts
Hey, I love SACD but I'd hardly call the few titles availible nuclear. Sony is still only releasing single layer titles. I think it's really companies like Telarc and Chesky Records that are advancing the format. Although I love the sound and listen regularly to SACD with a loaned Sony 777, I still question Sony's motives and don't entirely think there isn't some hidden agenda present. More titles, more titles! Telarc is releasing a fully loaded disk with 2 channel, cd layer, and multi-channel SACD layer from Spyro Gryo on Oct. 30. My question, is, " Is Telarc going nuclear?!"

·
Registered
3,372 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·

Originally posted by mburnstein

Quote:
Originally posted by Nicholas

How are you connecting the unit that a balanced input of your amp is being used? Are you using an rca-xlr adapter going from the TAP-9000es into a balanced amp? Maybe if you float the ground plug from your sony preamp or your balanced amp with a cheater plug? I wouldn't give up on that unit as your other choice is the Meitner unit at $3200!
No, no, no . . . I was using balanced connections from a Krell HTS2 to 2 Krell amps. The Krells offer a choice between balanced and RCA.

When I introduced the TA-P9000ES into the system, the only option was RCA. When I changed to those connections, I got noise in my system that was not formerly there. When I re-hooked up the balanced connections, the noise went away.

Krell is coming out with an upgrade that will offer one 6-channel analog bypass, but a whole bunch of other different stuff--bass management, Dolby ProLogic II, new d/a converters . . . and they've gotten more reasonable, recently. I'm going to do that, and then I'm going to figure out how I can simply switch between two sets of 6 channel analog input signals. I mean, other than the additional channels, we're talking phonograph-level technology . . . it's got to be available.

Otherwise, the TA-P9000ES seems like a great solution. And, canceling out the noise I heard in my system (and mine is an exceedingly busy system), I could tell the playback was clean and top-quality sounding. I just couldn't deal with the new hum.

·
Registered
5,549 Posts
Nick,

"I got noise in my system that was not formerly there. When I re-hooked up the balanced connections, the noise went away."

Sounds like you had a ground loop with the Sony. Did you spend any time trying to get rid of it? You probably could make it go away and get the same silence running single ended. It will take a little work though.

First thing to try would be running single ended from the Krell to you amps and see if you have noise. If you do is you amp and pre-amp powered on the same circuit?

If no noise then wire the Sony back in between them and check again for noise. If you have noise is the Sony plugged into a different circuit? Does the Sony power cord have a 3 prong plug on it? Getting a cheater plug (at Radio Shack for under a buck) and floating the ground to the Sony may eliminate the noise.

Shawn

Shawn

·
Registered
7,335 Posts
It be a few other things too, like the Sony preamp being inherently noisier than the Krell preamp is, and a low-level hiss is emanating from the speakers when using the Sony preamp.

Since "the noise" was not clarified by the original poster it will be difficult to say whether its ground loop or not.

My bet is that it isn't ground loop.

Of course the best solution IMO would be to go with an EMM Labs Switchman-2, but it isn't a particularly cost effective one at US$3200.

Regards,

·
Registered
3,372 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
The sound is a faint buzz in all 5 channels that are amplified. Keep in mind that these are two separate amplifiers, one a three channel, another a two channel. It sounds like ground loop to me.

Yes, the amps and the preamp are on the same circuit. The Sony has a two pronged power cord.

I don't have a lot of options for available circuits, and I'm not sure what I would do if I learned that the Krell HTS also hummed from its RCA outputs. Any suggestions on how to get rid of the ground loop hum would be appreciated, but if they involve plugging things into different circuits, it might not be feasible.

Now that I've got you guys listening, though, let me ask this:

Let's assume I get the 6 channel analog bypass upgrade to the Krell. There I am, with a 6 channel analog input, but two competing sources for the space: DVD-A, or multichannel SACD?

Now, I have to believe there's a way to switch those signals, before they get to the Krell. What I'm wondering is, several things:

1. Isn't there something which just functions as an analog bypass switcher? I don't think I can use the Sony for that, because it's only got one 5.1 bypass input set

2. What about using a a double-female to single male y-connector? Since I would never be feeding both the DVD-A and the SACD into them at the same time, wouldn't that work? I realize that's sort of K-mart, but I like K-mart ('specially when compared to the $3200 device).

3. Isn't there someone out there like Audio Authority that recognizes gluttons like me (us) for every bell and whistle they can buy? Someone's got to address this situation. There's enough processors coming out with one set of 6 channel analog inputs, and I know, I know it's not a great leap of technology to come out with something that amounts to an analog audio switcher betwee two different sources. It doesn't even have to preamplify the signal.

Comments, comments, comments!!! Solve this, brave soldiers!!!

·
Registered
284 Posts
Quote:
Originally posted by Bulldogger
Telarc is releasing a fully loaded disk with 2 channel, cd layer, and multi-channel SACD layer from Spyro Gryo on Oct. 30. My question, is, " Is Telarc going nuclear?!"
Actually the Spyro Gyra Multichannel/Stereo SACD has been available from Telarc for sometime now.

In fact, I just saw some copies of it the other day at Tower Records in Concord, CA. So it is available at retail as well.

Not sure what happens on October 30th. But it's available for now those who are interested.

·
Registered
284 Posts
Quote:
Originally posted by John Kotches
Of course the best solution IMO would be to go with an EMM Labs Switchman-2, but it isn't a particularly cost effective one at US$3200.

Regards,
Agreed. The Switchman II takes SACD sound to the next level. Quite an improvement here when I moved my XA777ES SACD player's outputs from the Meridian 861 to the Switchman II.

Definitely recommended !

·
Registered
5,549 Posts
Nick,

"and I'm not sure what I would do if I learned that the Krell HTS also hummed from its RCA outputs."

If you got noise from that configuration it may mean you have a ground loop in your equipment. Do you have cable TV connected into your system somehow like through a VCR or ReplayTV? If so try disconnecting the cable feed temporarily and see if the buzz goes away. If it does there are ways to deal with it.

It is possible the potential for a ground loop has always existed in your system, just that by running balanced it avoided the problem.

"Now, I have to believe there's a way to switch those signals, before they get to the Krell."

Does the Krell offer a programmable 12v trigger? And if so it it assignable by input?

The MC-12 only has a single 5.1 input as well and I'm going to build a switch box that works ahead of the Lexicon to switch between multiple 5.1 inputs automatically. The Lex. has two 12v triggers so I could actually build it to switch between (4) 5.1 sounces without any intervention from the user.

"2. What about using a a double-female to single male y-connector? Since I would never be feeding both the DVD-A and the SACD into them at the same time, wouldn't that work?"

No, that probably wouldn't work well.

Shawn

·
Registered
3,372 Posts
Discussion Starter · #15 ·
Quote:
Originally posted by sfogg

If you got noise from that configuration it may mean you have a ground loop in your equipment. Do you have cable TV connected into your system somehow like through a VCR or ReplayTV? If so try disconnecting the cable feed temporarily and see if the buzz goes away. If it does there are ways to deal with it.

It is possible the potential for a ground loop has always existed in your system, just that by running balanced it avoided the problem.

Maybe. I have swapped out so much stuff in this system over the past 4 years, but one constant has been Krell amps (though I've swapped them for other Krell amps) and balanced connections (first to a Proceed PAV/PDSD, now to a HTS2).

I have this monstrous oak cabinet which houses all the equipment. Moving things around is summons a sense of sheer torture and dread. I recall a ground loop hum in an earlier incarnation of this system, and the pain it took to isolate it and get rid of it. Everything had to be unplugged, but these sockets are not the easiest things to reach. I've scraped much skin and shed blood over such affairs.

Too much work. I'd almost rather spend the $3200. But I'm trying hard to avoid that.

Quote:
Does the Krell offer a programmable 12v trigger? And if so it it assignable by input?

The MC-12 only has a single 5.1 input as well and I'm going to build a switch box that works ahead of the Lexicon to switch between multiple 5.1 inputs automatically. The Lex. has two 12v triggers so I could actually build it to switch between (4) 5.1 sounces without any intervention from the user.

Well, Shawn, this is what I'm saying. All we need is a simple switcher, which doesn't do a thing to the signal and just gets it to the processor/preamp. We take our chances from there. But, with all due respect to this $3200 Switchman that John raves about, why does something that simple have to be that expensive? This sounds like basic stuff, and if you're building one ad hoc, I have to believe that someone out there can do the same, and actually make money selling them to people like us that buy MC-12s or HTS2s, or any other number of "forward-looking" processors with a 6 channel analog input--but only one.

·
Registered
5,549 Posts
Nick,

"Maybe. I have swapped out so much stuff in this system over the past 4 years, but one constant has been Krell amps (though I've swapped them for other Krell amps) and balanced connections (first to a Proceed PAV/PDSD, now to a HTS2). "

When you run balanced the signal lines have a dedicated signal ground line with it. The condition doesn't exist for a ground loop to happen. When you switched to unbalanced lines there is no dedicated signal ground and the potential from ground loops became real.

"I have this monstrous oak cabinet which houses all the equipment. Moving things around is summons a sense of sheer torture and dread. "

Ouch, doesn't sound like fun. I use a couple of Salamander racks that are on casters so I can move them around pretty easily.

"All we need is a simple switcher, which doesn't do a thing the signal and just gets it to the processor/preamp."

Very easy to build. Would take about $40 in parts if you can live with an extemely plain and simple plastic chassis for the switcher. If you want a slightly fancier all metal black chassis the price of the parts nearly triples.

If your processor doesn't have a programable 12v trigger of sufficent current (

·
Registered
3,372 Posts
Discussion Starter · #17 ·
Quote:
Originally posted by sfogg

Very easy to build. Would take about $40 in parts if you can live with an extemely plain and simple plastic chassis for the switcher. If you want a slightly fancier all metal black chassis the price of the parts nearly triples.

If your processor doesn't have a programable 12v trigger of sufficent current (

·
Premium Member
7,233 Posts
Thanks for the information Bmoura. I read that the release date was Oct. 30. But if it's out now that's great. Does the switchman have a processor loop so that you don't have to keep switching cables? I keep waiting for the VTL 6 channel pre-amp to come to market. I think I will buy a univeral transport in Jan., one not from Sony. Then I will need a 6 channel analog pre-amp.

·
Registered
8,225 Posts
I am tempted to buy one of these units. The TA-P9000ES and try it out with my TA-E9000ES Pre/Pro. So how is SACD, I only heard it once last saturday and was blown away by the sound quality. What Player should I get? As Nicholas stated the 555ES is a steal at $775.00.

1 - 20 of 21 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.