AVS Forum banner
1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
2,657 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I been searching for a scaler solely for playing my old backlog of PS3 720p games, since the PS3 does not have a hardware scaler & my Samsung TV scales the content very poorly (especially when compared to the Xbox 360, which does hardware scaling).

I been coming here on & off for the past 5 years, but every time I searched, the cheapest quality scaler goes for around $700.
I looked up the prices of the video scalers in the stickied threads & they are going for $1,500.

I'd have to be crazy to spend that much on a video scaler, when a lot of new big screen TV's cost less than that nowadays. All just to play a handful of $10 games.

Have the prices not come down since then, is there no cheap alternatives to scale 480p or 720p content to a 1080p TV with HDMI cables?

·
Registered
585 Posts
I'd have to be crazy to spend that much on a video scaler, when a lot of new big screen TV's cost less than that nowadays. All just to play a handful of $10 games.
Because of this, many of the video processor manufacturers pulled out of the market. New dvdo products are scaled down in their abilities to keep the cost down. Lumagen is the only uncomprimized vp manufacturer right now. If they sell their products for any less, they couldnt be around much longer. Its a niche market and sales numbers are not there to afford much lower prices.

·
Registered
18 Posts
Have you looked into buying a used scalar? I bought a DVDO VP50 pro for $200. There are tons of scalers on ebay so I would look there if you don't want to drop a lot of coin.

·
Registered
6,289 Posts
If all you are trying to do is scale with some excellent detail and noise enhancements, the DVDO iScan Mini for a little less than $200 new on Amazon does an excellent job. There is a dedicated thread here on this forum.

1 - 6 of 6 Posts