AVS Forum banner

Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
5,789 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
With all the bitrate discussion lateyly (about dbs and some cable co's recompressing HD) I was wondering about this.

Here is my local HD lineup:

700 (17.3 mbit) KAMU - PBS - HD (no subchannels)

705 (14.2 mbit -> 15 mbit for football) KWKT - FOX - HD (1 sub channel but as I understand it this is the max fox sends)

710 (16.2 mbit) KBTX - CBS - HD (added upn digital subchannel but is going back to 19mbit with fiberline)

730 (17.9 mbit) KCEN - NBC - HD (no subchannels)

732 (18.5 mvit) ESPN HD

734 (18.8 mbit) Discovery HD Theater

735 (13 mbit) Universal HD (this is part of a digital rebuild in my area and is not yet active in my area but a guy in our local thread says its at 13mbit)

736 (16.5 mbit) iNHD 1

738 (14.0 mbit) iNHD 2

740 (14.0 mbit) HBO HD

742 Showtime HD (dont sub to)

744 Starz! HD (dont sub to)

Im curious on the inHD2, universal and hbo being somewhat low bw wise. I have spoken with the general manager at cox (local cable co for now, being sold to cebridge) but he told me they dont recompress any channels (pass as recieved). So I was wondering if some of these channels originate at these bw's (are low across the country regardless) or is it the downlinks to our local cable co?

As for my bitrates before anybody asks I use TSReader through firewire to view the streams for each channel (and yes it fluxuates but i take the "average" as it appears to me). Its not perfect but would be pretty close to true bw for each channel.

·
Banned
8,246 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by jagouar
With all the bitrate discussion lateyly (about dbs and some cable co's recompressing HD) I was wondering about this.

Here is my local HD lineup:

700 (17.3 mbit) KAMU - PBS - HD (no subchannels)

705 (14.2 mbit -> 15 mbit for football) KWKT - FOX - HD (1 sub channel but as I understand it this is the max fox sends)

710 (16.2 mbit) KBTX - CBS - HD (added upn digital subchannel but is going back to 19mbit with fiberline)

730 (17.9 mbit) KCEN - NBC - HD (no subchannels)

732 (18.5 mvit) ESPN HD

734 (18.8 mbit) Discovery HD Theater

735 (13 mbit) Universal HD (this is part of a digital rebuild in my area and is not yet active in my area but a guy in our local thread says its at 13mbit)

736 (16.5 mbit) iNHD 1

738 (14.0 mbit) iNHD 2

740 (14.0 mbit) HBO HD

742 Showtime HD (dont sub to)

744 Starz! HD (dont sub to)

Im curious on the inHD2, universal and hbo being somewhat low bw wise. I have spoken with the general manager at cox (local cable co for now, being sold to cebridge) but he told me they dont recompress any channels (pass as recieved). So I was wondering if some of these channels originate at these bw's (are low across the country regardless) or is it the downlinks to our local cable co?

As for my bitrates before anybody asks I use TSReader through firewire to view the streams for each channel (and yes it fluxuates but i take the "average" as it appears to me). Its not perfect but would be pretty close to true bw for each channel.

How are you determining these bitrates?

·
Premium Member
LG 55" C9 OLED, Yamaha RX-A660, M&K S-125, S-80, MX-90, Windows Media Center 4K HTPC, TiVo Bolt, X1
45,624 Posts
It varies too much to track. Each local HD station uses different approaches, each cableco uses different approaches....

·
Banned
8,246 Posts
I've never seen an INHD stream running as high as he list. Come to think of it, I've never seen DiscoveryHD running that high either.

We also know that Fox doesn't hit 14.2 except for Sport as well.

I suspect he's using the header max bitrate which is really meaningless.

·
Banned
8,246 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mark Vidonic
Didn't he say he used the average?
Yes, i didnt read the last line....my mistake.

I still believe he's using the header info though because unless you are using Fox Sports Football games entirely there is no way you would ever get a 14.2Mbps average on that network.

·
Registered
5,789 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Quote:
Originally Posted by HDTVFanAtic
I've never seen an INHD stream running as high as he list. Come to think of it, I've never seen DiscoveryHD running that high either.

We also know that Fox doesn't hit 14.2 except for Sport as well.

I suspect he's using the header max bitrate which is really meaningless.
Well this was discussed in our local thread but our fox also carries WB (after fox primetime) programming. They put it out at 13.5 initially (converted to 720p). But recently upped the bitrate to 15 @ 720p (the engineer asked for opinions and we of course said higher bitrates.... they listened. :) I may have been looking at a WB show, dont remember for sure). But yeah I know in the past when I was looking foxHD (was a recent addition in our area) it varies with primetime programming to football.

And on the INHD it was a bit higher than normal tonight.... Ive noticed it varies with what show is on. InHD2 usually runs in the 12-14 mbit range and inHD1 runs 12-16 (of course also varies in the program too)

I was more curious on the networks I mentioned (uni, hbo etc) becuase they seem to orginiate pretty low (if our head cable co was right in they dont compress anything). Certainly would make "HDlite" much more common if it orginiates as "HDlite". But Ive never seen a comparison of the national level. (and I wasnt even talking locals.... just put those there since I have them on cable). I was more interested in the HBO's, SHO's, UNI's etc.

·
Registered
5,789 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
a little update...

"Boxing" is on inHD right now... jumping between 11.9-16.5 mbit (no action vs lots of action)

"inHD to the max" is running 10.6-15.3 mbit right now (but its one of the older ones and really doesnt look that good but spikes to 17 in action)

"BBC St. Petersburgh opera show" discoveryHD.... juming between 15.5-19.5 mbit (most of the time in the 18-19 range)

And I realize bitrates will vary between shows (espcially on the inhd's) but my point is that if HBO really orginiates at only ~14mbit then what dish and directv are doing to the signal isnt as bad as taking that down from a 19mbit source (that was kind of my point)... its still not good though. And Ive never seen it confirmed anywhere that channels like HBO dont originate at the full 19mbit stream.

·
Banned
8,246 Posts
I know people that get HBO directly from a big Ugly Dish - the same place the cable companies and satellite providers do and they virtually never see 14 Mbps.

So again, these numbers are way high.

1 - 9 of 9 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.