AVS Forum banner

101 - 120 of 267 Posts

·
Banned
Joined
·
262 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by grubavs /forum/post/11792379


If I worked for Onkyo, I'd already have read the posts in the individual threads and been in contact with the affected CUSTOMERs to get it right! (not just this problem, btw, any problem) I'd also sure-as-hell be investigating any and all claims for a possible systemic problem.

The people who bought Onkyo receivers and post to this forum are a subset of the entire Onkyo receiver customer base. If this has only happened to one person here (and it's been more than one), how many others not here (I'd bet that's a bigger set... no offense to AVSForums) have seen it?

I honestly have been amazed at the vehemence of some of the posts to this thread! What possible reason is there to take this so personally???

Thats the best reply yet,its nice to see someone with there head not stuck in the sand..and yes i own a 875.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
1,318 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by MichaelJHuman /forum/post/11802034


Wow...

Did any of these actually catch on fire, or was there simply a loud bang, perhaps a small amount of flame or sparks and smoke? If not, the thread title is somewhat misleading. If any receiver did catch on fire, the title is correct.

Wow, this sounds like the Dead Parrot skit from Monty Python script.


"Sir, your device most certainly did not catch on fire. Anything could cause a small amount of flame, sparks and smoke to fulminate from the area of your receiver. Perhaps it was your cat that was electrocuted?"


You guys that are nay-saying need to be quiet and let the people who've had these problems post what happened. Shouting them down is quite possibly dangerous if there really is a widespread problem and its not acted upon.


Remember, lots of things could cause a short, not just poor engineering or construction. Receiver could be perfect (and for many evidently it is) but they could have a random flaw in the packaging process that allows dirt,debris, etc to fall into the receiver before shipping.... Or they could be damaged by some shipper who's not treating them correctly or the packaging could be inadequate...etc, etc.


Where there's smoke, there's fire. It deserves to be discussed and brought to company's attention to get to the bottom of it...and/or consumer group contacted for investigation.


I haven't read of any "flameouts,fires,smoky" Denon, Marantz, Pioneer or Sony units lately, so I wouldn't dismiss these accounts on Onkyo.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
4,122 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by dmcdayton /forum/post/11807537


I haven't read of any "flameouts,fires,smoky" Denon, Marantz, Pioneer or Sony units lately, so I wouldn't dismiss these accounts on Onkyo.

My brother has a relatively new SR8001, and guess what, it burned out, puff of smoke and all, then dead. Just because you don't read about it doesn't mean it doesn't happen to others.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
1,318 Posts
Wardrive


Noted.
 

·
Banned
Joined
·
7,964 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by tjk002 /forum/post/11802503


Ok,


I'm the owner of an 875 that went up in smoke. While it did not officially catch on fire, there were sparks flying out the top. Were they exactly flames, no, but large sparks and a loud pops.

Close enough. Had there been anything flammable in the sparking area, you would have had a fire.
 

·
Immaculate Grand Phoobah
Joined
·
3,783 Posts
Discussion Starter · #106 ·

Quote:
Originally Posted by cybrsage /forum/post/11810465


Close enough. Had there been anything flammable in the sparking area, you would have had a fire.

Yeah, that's what I've been thinking about when reading that folks put a plastic-cased fan on top of their receiver...
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
22,119 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by cybrsage /forum/post/11810465


Close enough. Had there been anything flammable in the sparking area, you would have had a fire.

it would have to be something that was highly flammable... sparks do not set fire to other things that easily...
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
3,945 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by GrandMoff /forum/post/11811178


"You cant start a fire, you cant start a fire without a spark" - The Boss

Wonder what would happen if you played this song through one of the new Onkyo receivers?
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
3,452 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by dmcdayton /forum/post/11807537


Wow, this sounds like the Dead Parrot skit from Monty Python script.


"Sir, your device most certainly did not catch on fire. Anything could cause a small amount of flame, sparks and smoke to fulminate from the area of your receiver. Perhaps it was your cat that was electrocuted?"

ROTFLMAO
 

·
Premium Member
Joined
·
1,613 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by aydu /forum/post/11813218


Wonder what would happen if you played this song through one of the new Onkyo receivers?

"We didnt start the Fire" - Billy Joel?
 

·
Premium Member
Joined
·
1,613 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by ccotenj /forum/post/11811077


it would have to be something that was highly flammable... sparks do not set fire to other things that easily...

Well duh, you know I store a 5 gallon gas tank on top of my 805, dont you???

 

·
Registered
Joined
·
22,119 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by tleavit /forum/post/11813539


Well duh, you know I store a 5 gallon gas tank on top of my 805, dont you???


sounds like as good a spot as any...
 

·
Premium Member
Joined
·
3,442 Posts
Appreciate the info on the 875. I was seriously considering selling my Dennon 4806CI (wich is a great receiver) , to purchase the 875 for its advansed audio and a couple of other features. I know it runs hot, but with this info I seriously think I will pass. At least for a while, or wait for something without such potential serious problems. I see no harm in this thread at least It is an alert to seek more substantial information on this issue.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
12,250 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by tleavit /forum/post/11813539


Well duh, you know I store a 5 gallon gas tank on top of my 805, dont you???


Wow...

That must be one explosive system...
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
338 Posts
FWIW this issue has pushed me over to the Denon camp; ordered one today. I hope, for all you Onkyo owners, this is a relative minor issue overall.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
65 Posts
so for the people who have had it "catch on fire", smoke, or spark, was your receiver in an enclosed area? or was it just out in the open? just wondering if there is anything in common here...
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
201 Posts
Despite of these reports i've ordered a 875, wich i can pick up tomorrow (after a witing taime of 4 weeks). I've only read about a few reports, and compared to the numbers sold i think the risc of failure is minimal. But it is something Onklyo should look into


I hope it is not something similar to the time that there were massive numbers of capacitors failing on computer-parts a few years ago. This prooved to be a huge number of capacitors that had a faulty conductive fluid in them, causing a great number of computer motherboard failing because of exploding capacitors.


If it prooves that failing capacitors is the problem, than Onkyo had better have a good replacement programm. Because the whole unit is virtually useless with those kinds of capacitors (failing powerfiltering / peaks in power damaging all other parts of the receiver). So the only real satisfactory sulution is replacing the unit for a completely new one (rapair is NOT an option, because of the "collateral" damage after a blown out capacitor).


For an example of the capacitor-problems in computers see this folllowing post on a Dutch forum of wich i'm a member:
http://gathering.tweakers.net/forum/...04468#18104468


Might be that the sparks and loud plops people have heard coming from their amps are caused by the same or a very similar failure ...
 

·
Premium Member
Joined
·
1,613 Posts
Ya, I was going to say. Any failures like that is not good. I've been in computers for 25 years now since my first 8080 and been in the industry and touched tens of thousands of computers and I never saw one short out in sparks. I have bought 250 brand new Dells in the past 2 years and have only had to call Dell support for repairs on 5 totals (2 HD's and 2 MB's and 1 DVD Drive).


Maybe they got a bad batch of capacitors. That’s exactly what I thought blew on mine when it went up in smoke.


HAve no doubt for those of you looking for the common denomiatator, mine was heat related.
 
101 - 120 of 267 Posts
Top