AVS Forum banner
1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
585 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
So Ive upgraded my HTPC to a Haswell cpu (i7 4600 graphics chip). Now that Intel has finally fixed the 23.97 issue, my question is...how to properly set it up? As a note, my HTPC is ONLY used for media (audio/video) and occasional web use. No gaming or anything else. And yes, my TV is capable of displaying 23.97.

The JRiver part is easy. After reading the wiki it seems I just need to check the VideoClock button in options (Im using madVR BTW if it matters). The Intel driver is a bit confusing. Looking at refresh options, I see 23htz and 24htz. Which would I choose? Is there anything else I need to do?

HTPC is fed into a Pioneer receiver then out to the TV. Should I have the HTPC directly connected to the TV for true 23.97 refresh?

OK I think that covers my questions. Any feedback is appreciated.

·
Registered
2,223 Posts
So Ive upgraded my HTPC to a Haswell cpu (i7 4600 graphics chip). Now that Intel has finally fixed the 23.97 issue, my question is...how to properly set it up? As a note, my HTPC is ONLY used for media (audio/video) and occasional web use. No gaming or anything else. And yes, my TV is capable of displaying 23.97.

The JRiver part is easy. After reading the wiki it seems I just need to check the VideoClock button in options (Im using madVR BTW if it matters). The Intel driver is a bit confusing. Looking at refresh options, I see 23htz and 24htz. Which would I choose? Is there anything else I need to do?

HTPC is fed into a Pioneer receiver then out to the TV. Should I have the HTPC directly connected to the TV for true 23.97 refresh?

OK I think that covers my questions. Any feedback is appreciated.
What you do need to do is make sure you have refresh rate changing set in madVR. I have an i5 and I've never had any real need to use videoclock (it only works when JRiver is encoding the audio signal, before its trasnferred to the receiver). If you are bitstreaming the audio to the receiver, then videoclock has no effect on the signal.

If you have refresh options set in madVR, then don't worry the system will automatically change the refresh rate to suit the file being played.

·
Registered
585 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
What you do need to do is make sure you have refresh rate changing set in madVR. I have an i5 and I've never had any real need to use videoclock (it only works when JRiver is encoding the audio signal, before its trasnferred to the receiver). If you are bitstreaming the audio to the receiver, then videoclock has no effect on the signal.

If you have refresh options set in madVR, then don't worry the system will automatically change the refresh rate to suit the file being played.
Thank you steelman...so in madVR just set it for 23.97 and be done with it?

·
Registered
585 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Thanks guys one more question... I'll set my receiver to auto so it'll display what it gets over hdmi from the htpc... But what about the Intel graphics settings? What do i set those to? Or does it matter?

·
Registered
2,223 Posts
Thanks guys one more question... I'll set my receiver to auto so it'll display what it gets over hdmi from the htpc... But what about the Intel graphics settings? What do i set those to? Or does it matter?
Doesn't matter - madVR will handle the switching of refresh rates automatically. I leave mine at 60Hz (though 50Hz works eqaully as well), smoother performance on front-ends (Kodi, Emby etc), anything else introduces severe stuttering when navigating.

FYI be careful how you set-up your receiver - some Pioneer receivers need to be set to 'HDMI THRU' - the other option I think is 'HDMI AMP' - which terminates the audio at the amp.

·
Registered
585 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
Doesn't matter - madVR will handle the switching of refresh rates automatically. I leave mine at 60Hz (though 50Hz works eqaully as well), smoother performance on front-ends (Kodi, Emby etc), anything else introduces severe stuttering when navigating.

FYI be careful how you set-up your receiver - some Pioneer receivers need to be set to 'HDMI THRU' - the other option I think is 'HDMI AMP' - which terminates the audio at the amp.
Yep. The nice thing about my receiver is it's audio and video settings are seperate, so i can set video to "pure" which leaves the video signal unmolested and still use all the audio decoders.

Thanks for all the help guys.

1 - 12 of 12 Posts