AVS Forum banner
Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 2 of 2 Posts

·
Registered
621 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I have read most threads concerning STB's and aspect ratios. I am still confused and could use some clarification from this forums regulars. I have the Hitachi 60sdx and had the RCA DTC100 and its converter box (hdtc300). My comments concern only OTA reception and how the TV responded. The signal strengths I got were from 45-58% as displayed on the TV. Since the RCA only outputs in 540p, the Hitachi thinks all stations are brodcasting in 16:9 format and I have top and bottom gray bars when connected to component video. The threads concerning the Panny and Sony have some in depth discussion of aspect ratio, and thus, my confusion. If the Sony can feed native 480i, it has been said you can retain aspect control thru the component video. If that is the case, it would not be a HD input would it? Would it be any better than the Svideo signal? If not, then since I have aspect control of Svideo, why would I not stay with the least expensive unit (RCA100)? For clarity, I cannot change the aspect ratio in TV setup even though the option is available if HD is being fed. This seems to be true of most HD ready TV's?

Thanks for your help in advance.

Chuck

·
Registered
621 Posts
Discussion Starter · #2 ·
Greg,

Thanks for the reply. So, you agree that the Hitachi component video feed is always 16:9 if it senses that the signal is HD? The grey bars on mine were not switchable, they came from the Hitachi. I could change the the grey bars in letterbox mode to black as you say, but that was a second set inside the first. The OTA signals I mentioned were UHF HD channels not analog signals. Is this not what you have,got? What STB are you using? And, last, you have not tried or seen the Sony?

1 - 2 of 2 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.