AVS Forum banner
1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Registered
1,546 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
For some reason or other a lot of PS3 fans out there made Home out to be some huge digital world dedicated to amazing adventure and limitless innovation.

Beta testers warned that it was a vapid 3D chat room. (we tried at least)

No one listened...

What few people seem to talk about is the actual PS3 MMO Social RPG FreeRealms. It actually is supposed to be all the things that Home was hyped to be: A Social Community AND an MMO at the same time.

I have no clue what so ever if it's going to be good or not, but those of you who wanted that massive online world aspect to Home could have a nice substitute for that in FreeRealms!

Quote:
Originally Posted by PS3Fanboy.com /forum/post/0

Sony Online Entertainment has promised a number of MMO games that will appear on PC and PS3. However, none of them have come to fruition quite yet. The most likely candidate for release appears to be FreeRealms, SOE's innovative MMO game. The game is almost reaching beta on the PC, and from what we've seen so far, it's shaping up to be a fun way for casual gamers to jump online into a safe online world. Best of all, FreeRealms' big gimmick: it's free.

This isn't meant to be a World of Warcraft-killer, and we think that's a good thing. By aiming for younger players (and their families), FreeRealms has crafted an intuitive, easy-to-read and use interface that looks charming. The UI takes advantage of easily identifiable icons, and the screen real estate is wisely used. This is great for the console player too: the large icons can be easily selected with a PS3 controller.

For better or for worse, FreeRealms tries to appeal to many by featuring a variety of mini-games. Unlike other MMO games, your character isn't tied to one class. You can be a Ninja, Explorer, Wizard -- whatever you want. In fact, you can change your class at any time, so that you're able to tackle each situation appropriately. The freedom to change classes gave the development team at SOE the opportunity to create a wide variety of gameplay modes, from racing to combat, to card battling and cooking. A universal experience points system makes it so that doing anything in the game will let you level up any aspect of your character, in any class mode.

Those that want a casual, family-friendly experience in FreeRealms will get it easily. There are tons of places to go to, each with unique gameplay modes that don't involve any combat, PvP or against AI. However, those that want to go fighting can do so in self-contained instances scattered throughout the game world. The developers note that the battle system will most likely be very different between the PS3 and PC versions: the PS3's input will make it more of an action game, where the face buttons will directly correspond with the actions you perform on screen. This should make it more engaging for console owners.

FreeRealms is the first fully 3D MMORPG that's being made available for free -- with no monthly fees whatsoever. The gameplay will be supported by in-game advertising, and sponsored in-game items (a Mountain Dew potion, perhaps?). While it may not appeal to the hardcore with its cutesy art style and gameplay, we think casual gamers will love the number of options available to them. Unfortunately, although the PC version is getting prepped for beta release, PS3 owners are going to have to wait much longer for the eventual port. Regardless, we can't wait to find out more about SOE's upcoming PS3 endeavors.

·
Registered
1,218 Posts
I hate Home because of WHAT it is not HOW it is presented. To me this is the same thing. But, like always, that's my opinion and it's neither right nor wrong. If theres a user base out there who would like this and pay for it then great! It just wont be me using it.

·
Registered
2,235 Posts
I'll probably jump on and play with it for a while whenever it comes out.

·
Registered
3,947 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by fcorona76 /forum/post/15446701

I hate Home because of WHAT it is not HOW it is presented. To me this is the same thing. But, like always, that's my opinion and it's neither right nor wrong. If theres a user base out there who would like this and pay for it then great! It just wont be me using it.

FreeRealms is free. I'm sure there will be lots of goofy in-game advertising. "Wow! I just found a Slim Jim Extreme Sword of Destiny!"

·
Registered
1,211 Posts
OP the PS3 owners who made it out to be all grand and a breakthru in tech and gaming are called fanboys. I knew from the get go it would be horrid due to my dislike of social networks. I also wont like freerealms as well due to the same issue

·
Registered
5,817 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by SirDrexl /forum/post/15451728

Yeah, I thought the whole point of Home was that it was supposed to be integrated with the PSN, so you could launch games and see your trophies in your apartment.

I think the point (besides creating an advertising space) is that people who don't have many PSN friends could find other people that play the same games online.

In any case, if it's not the point, it's certainly the best thing you can get out of it.

·
Registered
1,546 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·

Quote:
Originally Posted by DaveFi /forum/post/0

Last I read, this one is targeted towards the kiddies. I think DCU Online is the one I'm waiting on.

Yeah it has the same demo of Home being teens and tweens. The reason I brought this up was because it's actually a social hub first and MMO second. All of the promises of connected worlds and tons of varied mini games actually falls in with a lot of the incorrect Home hype. Maybe for some it will really hit the spot.

I'm excited to try DCU as well, but it's a standard MMO. Not a hybrid like this one. I just want to join the GL Corps!

Quote:
Originally Posted by zBuff /forum/post/15452596

Who the heck thought HOME was ever suppose to be a MMO? I thought it was very clear from the start and constantly reiterated that it wasn't going to be

Thousands of people I would think. Do a google search of the terms or even go to the Home threads on this very forum and read how many people say they thought it would be more like an MMO.

Never underestimate the blinding hype of a fanboy. You would not believe how it was on the Official Playstation Forums. These kids were damn near writing fan fiction on the subject.

I guess as a beta tester I was more aware of what people were saying. I just think it's neat that all their BS "dreams" of Home might be right here in another Sony Exclusive Social world.

·
Registered
603 Posts
...meh.... looks like club penguin. The kid might like it though.

I actually believe that home still has a lot of potential and as far as MMO (massive multiplayer online or mostly men online?).... Yeah there are mostly men online but there are actually women online too (at least they say they are) it's just not a place where you'd try to hookup because there's no telling what these people look like in real life

I actually get tired of hearing the Home bashers.... I mean it is a beta isn't it? If you don't like it well uhhh... don't use it?

Speaking of home... I just downloaded the Namco Museum from the Japanese servers and you get cool shirts and hats and stuff when you play the game on your regular account. Also... playing with the glitches has been entertaining lately too... as well as just plain old avatar watching... but that's just me.

1 - 14 of 14 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.