AVS Forum banner
1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Registered
4,162 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I just got a Harmony 880 for my birthday and it's so bad that I'll stick to using 3 remotes even between now and Monday when it gets returned.

Why I hate it:

-Thing tries to monopolize my setup. If I change stuff with another remote or manually, the Harmony changes everything back when I touch it.

-Buttons are way too small, especially volume. And I need to push them hard and in the right spot for them to work. I don't care if a replacement 880 would fix the pressure requirement issue, because they'll always be too tiny.

-Too time consuming to get to a device instead of the activity menu.

-Speaking of the activity menu, I don't like it.

-I have to scroll through a bunch of pages for my receiver to get anywhere useful.

I thought it would be cool, but using it just makes me want to throw it out the window. I guess it's not for me. Activities just don't work for me (I didn't know this would be the case 'til I tried it).

So basically I guess I just want something:

-Like a normal universal remote, having buttons for each device. Hell, not even having an LCD would be good if it does what I need.

-That supports lots of stuff, such as projectors and video processors like the VP50.

-That has macros, which is what I thought activities were going to replace, but I guess regular macro buttons would work with me.

-Doesn't leave out skip or seek buttons. I see too many remotes that leave one of those out.

-Has all the buttons I need for a Motorola STB: Guide, Info, Exit, Last...

-DVR support...

-Buttons don't have to be huge, but bigger than the 880; however, the volume and channel buttons must be big.

-$100 tops, the less the better. $75 or even $50 would be much better.

The NAD HTR-2 is a LOT better than the 880, but it feels far too awkward to use and it is missing a few things...

·
Registered
4,162 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Didn't know you could do that, but I have far too many other issues with the 880 for that to make it usable to me. Thanks though.

·
Registered
4,162 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
I've actually used that remote at a relative's house and it's not bad. I suppose for the VP50 I'll just have to enter the codes under some component I don't use. One thing I did notice was that it doesn't seem to have buttons for skip...?

It's a contender, though. Was considering getting it long before I decided to try the Harmony. I did like the feel of the buttons on it.

·
Registered
6,908 Posts
How 'bout this ... Sony RM-AV3000

·
Registered
783 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by DonoMan /forum/post/0

Didn't know you could do that, but I have far too many other issues with the 880 for that to make it usable to me. Thanks though.

Most of what you want can be done on the 880. It took me a while to find all of the ways you can modify it, but the 880 thread here has most.

I agree about the volume and channel rocker buttons and the size of the buttons. Poor design there. I did not like where the FF and chapter buttons were, so reversed them. But I am happy with everything else.

The functions that the 880 sets for an activity are not usually what I want so I modified them and now can do everything I need.

I no longer use any other remotes.

·
Registered
1,518 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by DonoMan /forum/post/0

I just got a Harmony 880 for my birthday and it's so bad that I'll stick to using 3 remotes even between now and Monday when it gets returned.

[snip]

So basically I guess I just want something:

-Like a normal universal remote, having buttons for each device. Hell, not even having an LCD would be good if it does what I need.

-That supports lots of stuff, such as projectors and video processors like the VP50.

-That has macros, which is what I thought activities were going to replace, but I guess regular macro buttons would work with me.

-Doesn't leave out skip or seek buttons. I see too many remotes that leave one of those out.

-Has all the buttons I need for a Motorola STB: Guide, Info, Exit, Last...

-DVR support...

-Buttons don't have to be huge, but bigger than the 880; however, the volume and channel buttons must be big.

-$100 tops, the less the better. $75 or even $50 would be much better.

The NAD HTR-2 is a LOT better than the 880, but it feels far too awkward to use and it is missing a few things...

URC MX-900. I love this remote. It has dedicated DVR buttons like GUIDE, INFO, PRV CH, EXIT, buttons are nice and big and easy to push. Does macros. Easy to program and test. Has a nice heft to it, not cheasy feeling like my Harmony 890. Has extensive support for devices, learning a code (if it's not supported) is brain dead easy, has the ability to program buttons with "volume will always mean +/- on the AVR no matter what!" They call it the "punch through" program. This way you won't be up'ing the volume on the TV when you have the sound connected to the AVR!

It's not $100 (more like $350) but in this case, you really do get what you pay for!

·
Registered
414 Posts
How do change it to put your most used item on the first page of an activity?

I want to be able to have access to MY recorded DVR, it used to be on the 2nd page but when I just changed the delay times it went to the 4 page or 8!!!

I want it on the first page!

·
Registered
118 Posts
I have the URC RF20 (much younger brother of hansangb's MX-900), which is available in a combo pack with the MRF-100 (its associated RF extender) for $100. Programming is done directly on the remote (as opposed to through a computer), which works well enough. Since it's not computer-programmed, there isn't the issue about getting updated software through URC. I use it to control a projector, video processor, DVD player, and DVR without any problems. It can control up to 10 devices.

I initially thought that I'd need a remote that's a lot more expensive (was looking at the Pronto TSU7500 or Harmony 1000), but once I really thought about what I needed a remote to do, the RF20 fits the bill. Sure it can't do some things that the more expensive remotes can, but I don't find myself thinking "gee, I wish it could do so-and-so", so I must not be missing out on too much!

·
Registered
481 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by SKYWLKR /forum/post/0

How do change it to put your most used item on the first page of an activity?

It's really pretty simple.

If you're using the web-based tool, go to the Home page. In the Activities column click on Customize for whatever activity you want to customize, then click "Change the behavior of buttons." Finally, click "Additional Buttons."

Now lay out your page(s) the way you want them. Button 1 is top left, 2 is top right, and so on.

·
Registered
117 Posts
I had several of the same issues with the 880 as you. I purchased the 880 and 720 at the same time and kept the 720 - screen is superior, the buttons are laid out MUCH better, large VOL and CH buttons, large MUTE and PREV button, yet just as customizable.

Strong recommendation for the 720 - bought mine at Costco.

·
Banned
9,076 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by cavu /forum/post/0

How 'bout this ... Sony RM-AV3000

The RM-AV3000 is a great remote. I have had mine for several years. You can aim it at your back wall and it will still get the signal to the equipment on the front wall. It is a little trouble to program, but it is so versatile that you can set it up for one button push so that it changes everything needed to watch tv, dvd or anything else IR. They do not tell you in the manual, but you can put a micro macro on any key.

1 - 14 of 14 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.