AVS Forum banner
1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
678 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
So, next week someone is comming to pick up my Sharp 70" LE847U. I tried really hard to make the transition back to LCD but after 3 months my eyes just still could not adjust. I found myself with certain types of content, my eyes straining and my head hurting afterwards. Gave me an nice downpyament to hold it etc

I don't really care about 3D and I dont need internet apps. I have a million other set top devices to handle those.

My previous plasma was a Samsung PN50C8000

Now, Ill be going from a 70" to a 60" or 65", Id personally love to have as big as possible but given the loss im taking with selling my TV and the fact that I just had to pay out of pocket for my wifes wisdom teeth ($2400) it would be really tough to spend the 2500 on the 65ST60, but im still considering it.

The black filter of the ST60 while appealing I don't really need, my room is light controlled and most critical viewing is done at night witht he lights off. reflections are that big of an issue either..

However Picture quality is my concern, going from what was a top of the line 2010 Plasma to the bottom end Panasonic has me worried, especially soem talk about having less gradients in the S60 compared to the ST60..

Not only that I am an occasion xbox gamer, while im mostly PC gamer i do spend a good ammount of time rocking out to COD on the xbox and I hear of bad input lag with the ST60. I don't know if it would really be that bad compared to my SHarp or my old Sammsung?

What would you guys do?

stepping down to 60" from a 70" is quite substantial what would you guys do?

No place has the S60 in stock for me to look at, I have only seen the 50" ST60 at my local best buy and I must admit I was super impressed with it.

·
Registered
3,603 Posts
Dropping down from a 70" to a 60" is pretty substantial. 70 to 65, not as bad but still noticable.

Sounds like you wan't be happy going with the S60 no matter what the size. You will always think you have an inferior TV if you are anything like me. Think you would be happy with the ST60 as it is shaping up to be a great TV but the drop in size is going to hurt. If you have patience, which most of us here probably do not I would hold out and see if a deal pops up on the 65" ST60 as that is probably the only one that will really satisfy your needs. It will be a shame if you buy the S60 and then a month or so see a sale on the 65" ST60.

Tough call on this one. I know the feeling when something is just out of reach to consider your comfort zone to purchase something. It always seems so close but so far away at the same time.

Look around you house and see what you can sell. I had a treadmill I never used and it was great to cash in on that and use the money in order to get a better TV then I originally had planned for.

·
Registered
678 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Well realisticly the only thing making me re-think the ST60 over the S60 is it having less gradients and people saying it quite noticeable in the S60 thread..

I may just get the S60, and if need be return it and get the 60ST60

·
Registered
840 Posts
I was considering these two options also. Ultimately the CNET review among other praise pushed me towards the ST60. It seems to have enough distance between it and the S60 PQ wise to warrant the added price.

1 - 4 of 4 Posts