AVS Forum banner

Status
Not open for further replies.
21 - 32 of 32 Posts

·
Registered
110 Posts
As far as Monster Cable goes as a company I can only say I wish it were my idea. The owner of Monster Cable is absolutely a friggin' genius. Beyond that, I've learned that there is very little value to be found in Monster Cable from a consumer's perspective.

I'm ashamed to admit this, but in the mid 90s I bought some "10 gauge" Monster Cable speaker wire. This is a little embarrassing. This cable came with "MagnaFLUX core" technology. Sweet sounding, right? MagnaFLUX supposedly improved sound quality, imaging, etc...

So when I get my 10 gauge MagnaFLUX enabled cable home and strip down the ends to bare wire I learned that MagnaFLUX was really copper wire wrapped around a cheap plastic core. Monster successfully marketed and sold 10 gauge speaker wire with half the copper of a real 10 gauge cable. And I bought it at $1 a foot.

Shoulda been my idea.

·
Registered
684 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by woostern
For longer DVI/HDCP cables, I believe bit errors (i.e. "sparklies") are possible.
Yes, you are right that a DVI cable could have sparklies. (I should have typed macroblocking instead of sparklies in my earlier post.)

If you have sparklies, it will be immediately obvious. In that case, you will know that the cable or connectors are probably faulty.

·
Registered
868 Posts
None of those companies actually make their own cable from scratch. They assemble them from a combination of OEM and custom-ordered parts and put them in expensive packages. Get a cable from monoprice.com or partexpress.com for a fraction of the price [they have DVI and HDMI for under $10] and then even if the overpriced stuff does somehow magically work better you at least have something to compare it to.

I hate Monster for the fact that their entire business is built on preying on consumer ignorance and kickbacks to retailers.

·
Registered
2,540 Posts
Part of the problem here is the so-called rule of thumb that is thrown around by salespeople that you "should spend 10% of your budget on cabling".

·
Registered
1,757 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by qirex
None of those companies actually make their own cable from scratch. They assemble them from a combination of OEM and custom-ordered parts and put them in expensive packages. Get a cable from monoprice.com or partexpress.com for a fraction of the price [they have DVI and HDMI for under $10] and then even if the overpriced stuff does somehow magically work better you at least have something to compare it to.

I hate Monster for the fact that their entire business is built on preying on consumer ignorance and kickbacks to retailers.
You must hate an awful lot of companies, including your health care provider.

·
Registered
6,642 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by chmilar
Sorry, but this is absolutely untrue. (Since you also mentioned Bose and "best" in the same paragraph, I half suspect that you are "pulling our legs".
Gee, ya think? ;)

·
Registered
868 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by agogley
You must hate an awful lot of companies, including your health care provider.
At least my health care provider does something right occasionally. Monster Cable doesn't give me free immunizations when I travel.

·
2,424 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by FYTON2V
So when I get my 10 gauge MagnaFLUX enabled cable home and strip down the ends to bare wire I learned that MagnaFLUX was really copper wire wrapped around a cheap plastic core. Monster successfully marketed and sold 10 gauge speaker wire with half the copper of a real 10 gauge cable.

Shoulda been my idea.
That is borderline ingenious/consumer fraud. Technically speaking because of the skin effect, as long as the OD measure 10 gauge all is well. Very little if any current runs in the center of a solid or bundled strand conductor at audio frequencies.

·
Premium Member
218 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by chmilar
PCWorld compared some component cables:

PCWorld cable test

They found no practical difference in performance between the $18 cable, and $275 cable.

If you search, you can find other, similar tests, with similar results. In the end, save your money on the cable, and use the extra to buy some movies.
QFT (quoted for truth).

·
Registered
3,822 Posts
Chmilar -

What really bothers me most about Monster is that the lack of oxygen atoms makes it difficult for those good clean electrons we need for pure current transmission, they are quite literally starved for oxygen. They cannot breathe.

As a result, and due to the bad grounding properties of Monster (shielding is too thick), we end up with recycled electrons drawn from the cable itself!!! This introduces impurities into the current stream just like silt in a river, good for Nile farmers 4000 years ago but bad for audio and video enthusiasts.

Now, if you do want to spend 200 dollars for a few meters of cable, make sure it is for something really important such as the stiffness of the cable itself. After all, stiffness really does look good, we do not want our cabling looking like spaghetti.

·
Registered
52 Posts
Discussion Starter #32
FYTON2V, your story reminds me of one from my old skateboarding days. Powell Peralta was a company that made the decks for skateboards. The decks were made of layers of wood for strength, but breaking was still a problem with all the high flying tricks that were going on. So they started marketing boards that included a layer of "bone-ite". It was this layer of black something or other that was supposed to be super strong, which was sandwiched in the middle of the innermost layers of the deck and was supposed to prevent breaking. You could see it in there when you viewed the side of the deck. This product line didn't last very long, though, because the boards still broke, and when they did, people figured out that "bone-ite" was actually a mysterious substance otherwise known as "tar paper". Baah!

Hey wait. This is an a/v forum. Well uhh... I uhh... I got my first tv that year. Yeah that's it. There. There's my a/v connection.

21 - 32 of 32 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.