AVS Forum banner
1 - 20 of 20 Posts

·
Registered
Certified Audiophile ;-)
2,165 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I just found out that the they just released new drivers which enable this card to do QAM

Product info:
http://www.hauppauge.com/pages/produ...a_hvr1600.html

QAM Drivers (still in beta)
http://www.hauppauge.com/pages/suppo...tml#driver_34c

I tried these drivers yesterday but was unable to get any signal. Maybe my cable company blocks QAM.

Has anyone on Comcast Dale City (woodbridge) tried to get QAM?

MCE does get all the channels' info in the guide but when I scan the signal strength everything comes as red (the minimum) .

By the way, they have another version which includes a FM tuner.

But Alas! that one will not do QAM

The pic says 1500 but the site has that info on the same page as the 1600:
http://www.hauppauge.com/pages/produ...a_hvr1600.html

·
Registered
1,301 Posts
Question for you. I was looking at that 2nd card but I may move eventually into a cable area so QAM might be a good thing to have. However right now I use DIRECTV via S-video and a dongle cable which has RCA audio inputs. How would those hook up with that first card? I only see line in.... The FM tuner is an attractive feature on the other card too.

·
Registered
Certified Audiophile ;-)
2,165 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Well, I just bought this card yesterday so I dont know it all

But from what I understand you can use the OUTPUT of the DirectTV reciever and connect it the the S-video INPUT on the HVR1600 card and record the output of the directv reciever to hard disk.

I also read somewhere that the MCE software can actually control (power on & change channels) on your directv reciever. This is for scheduling purposes. I have not used this feature of MCE yet.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kamakzie /forum/post/0

Question for you. I was looking at that 2nd card but I may move eventually into a cable area so QAM might be a good thing to have. However right now I use DIRECTV via S-video and a dongle cable which has RCA audio inputs. How would those hook up with that first card? I only see line in.... The FM tuner is an attractive feature on the other card too.

·
Registered
Certified Audiophile ;-)
2,165 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
I just tested it for a few hrs last night. All testing was done with cable - TV analog signal.

It was working absolutely fine with MCE2005.

To the amazement of my wife and the joy of my 2.5 year old.......I was actually jumping with joy seeing it work smoothly (frankly I was expecting crashes and lockups and functionality losses)

It worked exactly as my comcast DVR. pause, rewind, replay all worked without a hitch!

It had downloaded the schedule too. The recording functionality was working fine too.

But I just could not get it to tune to any QAM signal. I am posting questions on other threads about this QAM and people tell me that I may have to tun directly to those channels.

I wonder how to do that in MCE?

·
Registered
526 Posts
I have the 1600 card and looked at the Hauppauge site today and noticed the "new" QAM compatibility with upgraded drivers. I was excited to try it out since I have both OTA and digital cable. But then I read the fine print where it said the QAM only works on the ATSC input of the card, not the cable input!

So you can't get both HD off OTR and cable HD. The RF cable input is for analog cable only, will not do QAM. I'd love a set-up where I can get both HD OTR and QAM. Not possible yet with this one card.

·
Registered
29 Posts
Which DirecTV receiver do you have?

Which output on the receiver did you use?

What software are you using, Hauppage WinTV?

Thanks!

Quote:
Originally Posted by rajdude /forum/post/0

Well, I just bought this card yesterday so I dont know it all

But from what I understand you can use the OUTPUT of the DirectTV reciever and connect it the the S-video INPUT on the HVR1600 card and record the output of the directv reciever to hard disk.

I also read somewhere that the MCE software can actually control (power on & change channels) on your directv reciever. This is for scheduling purposes. I have not used this feature of MCE yet.

·
Registered
Certified Audiophile ;-)
2,165 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
I can 100% confirm that it works with Comcast cable via QAM.

I did have to remove the splitter which was splitting the cable signal between the HVR1600 and the comcast DVR.

ONLY after I removed the splitter the HVR1600 was able to tune into QAM

Of course the QAM only works on the ATSC input of the card! What is the problem with that? That Cable input is the analog tuner on the card.

That input lablelled "ATSC" is the digital tuner on the card. Hence for using QAM you have to use that input. (QAM is digital, similar to ATSC)

I hope I made it clear.

Quote:
Originally Posted by HowardV /forum/post/0

I have the 1600 card and looked at the Hauppauge site today and noticed the "new" QAM compatibility with upgraded drivers. I was excited to try it out since I have both OTA and digital cable. But then I read the fine print where it said the QAM only works on the ATSC input of the card, not the cable input!

So you can't get both HD off OTR and cable HD. The RF cable input is for analog cable only, will not do QAM. I'd love a set-up where I can get both HD OTR and QAM. Not possible yet with this one card.

·
Registered
Certified Audiophile ;-)
2,165 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
None.

I dont have a directv reciever and have not used this feature of the card yet (teh S-video input)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sundog1 /forum/post/0

Which DirecTV receiver do you have?

Which output on the receiver did you use?

What software are you using, Hauppage WinTV?

Thanks!

·
Registered
45 Posts
I just picked up this card last night at CC and I'm trying to get it to pick up the digital channels, the analogs work just fine, naturally, but when I use MCE to scan for channels while the cable is connected to the ATSC connector it says I got no tuner.... I was about to try using the beta drivers in a moment, but the other issue is that it tops out at 125 channels.... Is there a way around THAT limitation or no?

·
Registered
29 Posts
I hooked up s video out on Directv HD receiver (not the dvr) to s video in on HVR1600 card.

Ran MCE2005 setup.

It detected the signal and showed the signal in the mini box on screen.

Hitting Next, brings up detect IR screen. I am not using IR on receiver, so it fails to detect it, and does not finish installing.

Any suggestions?

Quote:

None.

I dont have a directv reciever and have not used this feature of the card yet (teh S-video input)

·
Registered
764 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nakatomi2010 /forum/post/0

I just picked up this card last night at CC and I'm trying to get it to pick up the digital channels, the analogs work just fine, naturally, but when I use MCE to scan for channels while the cable is connected to the ATSC connector it says I got no tuner.... I was about to try using the beta drivers in a moment, but the other issue is that it tops out at 125 channels.... Is there a way around THAT limitation or no?

Read Micrmain's post above. MCE doesn't support QAM. You'll have to use the beta application that you download from Hauppauge. Also, you HAVE to have an analog tuner configured in MCE before it will recognize a digital tuner. If you just hook up the digital tuner, then MCE will not see it.

BT

·
Registered
Certified Audiophile ;-)
2,165 Posts
Discussion Starter · #15 ·
Which IR reciever / transmitter are you using on the MCE computer?

I use Microsoft's device which looks like a little small box. Came with the MCE remote control.

I think (for you) MCE is asking for the IR "emitters" to be connected to the back of that box. MCE will send the signals (via IR ) to the Directv HD receiver so that MCE can switch channels and other stuff.

Do you have the IR emitters? If yes, connect them and see.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sundog1 /forum/post/0

I hooked up s video out on Directv HD receiver (not the dvr) to s video in on HVR1600 card.

Ran MCE2005 setup.

It detected the signal and showed the signal in the mini box on screen.

Hitting Next, brings up detect IR screen. I am not using IR on receiver, so it fails to detect it, and does not finish installing.

Any suggestions?

·
Registered
Certified Audiophile ;-)
2,165 Posts
Discussion Starter · #16 ·
Partly right....

MCE does not support QAM - right

But it should not say "no tuner". When I hook up the cable to ATSC and do a scan using MCE, it simply cant find any digital signals. It suggests me to adjust the antenna.

It does NOT say "no tuner"

Seems like a driver issue to me.

I suggest uninstalling the drivers (there is a neat utility provided by Hauppage, and it works too) and re-installing the older version (without QAM support)

But wait .........are we trying to do QAM or OTA here?

Quote:
Originally Posted by bjterry62 /forum/post/0

Read Micrmain's post above. MCE doesn't support QAM. You'll have to use the beta application that you download from Hauppauge. Also, you HAVE to have an analog tuner configured in MCE before it will recognize a digital tuner. If you just hook up the digital tuner, then MCE will not see it.

BT

·
Registered
Certified Audiophile ;-)
2,165 Posts
Discussion Starter · #17 ·
Talking about drivers:

I have tried the new beta drivers and the older drivers too. For ATSC OTA signals the beta drivers are the best ! They pull in the signal much better. I get more channels too (both via MCE and WinTV)

Another tip:

Use Win TV to adjust the antenna for max signal. MCE's signal strength page is not good enough.

·
Registered
764 Posts

Quote:

Partly right....

MCE does not support QAM - right

But it should not say "no tuner". When I hook up the cable to ATSC and do a scan using MCE, it simply cant find any digital signals. It suggests me to adjust the antenna.

It does NOT say "no tuner"

Seems like a driver issue to me.

I suggest uninstalling the drivers (there is a neat utility provided by Hauppage, and it works too) and re-installing the older version (without QAM support)

But wait .........are we trying to do QAM or OTA here?

The only reason I can see that MCE would say "no tuner" would be because the analog tuner was not configured yet. However, he said that he was able to tune the analog channels in his first post.

Nakatomi, make sure you configured the analog tuner FIRST after reloading the drivers. Then configure the digital tuner.

BT

·
Registered
526 Posts

Quote:

I can 100% confirm that it works with Comcast cable via QAM.

Of course the QAM only works on the ATSC input of the card! What is the problem with that? That Cable input is the analog tuner on the card.

That input lablelled "ATSC" is the digital tuner on the card. Hence for using QAM you have to use that input. (QAM is digital, similar to ATSC)

I hope I made it clear.

The problem is that I have both OTA and digital cable! Some OTA HD channels are not broadcast via the cable line. So I would like to keep both, but with only one input on the card capable of ATSC and QAM, this is not possible. My current solution has been to use the cable line directly into my TV (LG with QAM - only 1 RF input), and hook-up the OTA to my Hauppauge for local channels.

I wish their cable-input line was capable of digital as well!

·
Registered
Certified Audiophile ;-)
2,165 Posts
Discussion Starter · #20 ·
Hmmmm.,.....

You could always get another 1600.

I am thinking of getting another one. That will let me change channels when I am recording something off ATSC.

Quote:
Originally Posted by HowardV /forum/post/0

The problem is that I have both OTA and digital cable! Some OTA HD channels are not broadcast via the cable line. So I would like to keep both, but with only one input on the card capable of ATSC and QAM, this is not possible. My current solution has been to use the cable line directly into my TV (LG with QAM - only 1 RF input), and hook-up the OTA to my Hauppauge for local channels.

I wish their cable-input line was capable of digital as well!

1 - 20 of 20 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.