AVS Forum banner
1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
159 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi Everyone - trying to go OTA and save some money right now and get rid of cable. the major places in my area (toronto, canada) that sell good antennas and tuners do not allow returns. i therefore went to staples and bought the Hauppauge 950q and figured i would try that out to see what i get.

I live on the 10th floor in an apartment near the Don Valley Parkway and Lawrence Avenue East area (for those of you familiar with Toronto). My window faces east (maybe slightly north too). I have a balcony that is a decent size (19' long, 5.5' wide, and 7.5' tall). The problem with my location, based on my reading, is that I don't have a direct line of sight south (towards the CN tower and Buffalo) where the stations broadcast from. The south view of my balcony is blocked by a brick wall that sticks out about 20 feet and is another 3 floors higher than my floor.

I tried the 950q with the included antenna. I know that it isn't nearly as good as what you can get with a better antenna such as a 4221 channel master, but i figured it doesn't hurt to try. I put it on my balcony (had to attach it to a connector/splitter with a longer cable first so it could reach outside), and i would get between 0 and 4 channels, all analogue (no digital) and all pretty snowy.

I'm wondering for those of you out there that have tried or use the 950q and have gone to another antenna, does this bode poorly for my chances of getting a decent number of stations in with a better antenna? Or is it just basically a worthless antenna and therefore does not allow me to predict what I would get with a better outside antenna?

If I do go with another antenna (unfortunately I can't return it if it doesn't work for me) I was thinking something like the Antennas Direct DB4 Multi Directional HDTV Antenna as I would think I need a multi-directional antenna based on being blocked by the brick wall (hopefully it would fit on my balcony!).

Thanks,

Paul

·
Registered
159 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
thanks ntngod and k_ross. that's good stuff to know. I was hoping that there would be someone who has tried the 950q with the included antenna, didn't get much, and then attached it to a better antenna and got a good number of HD channels. if anyone has, please let me know!

digitalhome.ca is a great forum too. i've posted there a number of times in the past. but how can you beat two responses in about 2 - 3 hours at this location?! people here have been so helpful to me in the past!

Thanks again!

Paul

·
Registered
5,019 Posts
Don't have any experiance with the 950Q, but I do have a WINHVR 1600 and it does as good as any other ATSC tuner in my arsenal when hooked up to the same antenna system as everything else.

So get a decent antenna and report back...

·
Registered
159 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Thanks scooper! my main concern right now is not the 950Q as a tuner, but my ability given my circumstances to actually get good results with OTA considering the poor results I got with the antenna included with the 950Q.

i just want to see if others have had similar results to me before getting good results with a new antenna, to ensure that the poor results that i've received doesn't mean that i'm basically screwed with OTA.

But it is good to know that there is a good deal of confidence in this type of tuner.

Thanks!

Paul

1 - 6 of 6 Posts