AVS Forum banner
1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
11 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
New to this forum, I was wondering if anyone could help. Just bought a new internal pci colossus 2 card and I'm quite excited about it. I have the old Hauppauge WinTV 1250 card on another computer recording OTA channels coax and works good except for the odd hiccup in video once in a while.

But now with the new one I am having capture issues almost similar issues. The recording is excellent but I just started to notice a small hiccup or frame drop every 10 seconds or so (you might miss it if you blink) but it's there and doesn't really get worse until about over a 1 hour 45 minutes the video gets a bit blocky and really struggles, then is ok for a few minutes and then gets blocky again, this seems to happen after 1 hour 45 minutes. The one hour recordings only have that slight blip which I would like to resolve, but the delay in the menu appearing on screen appears to get longer the longer I capture - so maybe it's some buffer container filling up? I don't know.

My computer is an HP elite 8200 i5-2500 at 3.3 Ghz. Windows 7 64 bit, 7200rpm Hitachi 500Gb hard drive. 4 Gb RAM. Further information, the system is dedicated to capturing so no other programs are installed and it's not hooked up to the internet. I'm using the free Hauppage capture software recording at 5Mb/s variable bit rate in .TS format. One other thing I'm using the integrated graphics (no dedicated video card) - could that be my sole problem?

Any help would be greatly appreciated.

·
Registered
11 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
I was doing some testing last night. Using the Hauppauge Capture software. I found the CTV news channel with the scrolling news at the bottom a good test indicator. You can see the bottom news feed bar scrolling smoothly on the TV, but streaming through the Colossus 2 card I can notice a jump once in a while. Strangely I can't pick it out the smaller jumps in the video above the scrolling news feed bar, then once in a while there's a bigger jump which I can notice slightly in the video. And it doesn't seem to make a difference if I record or not - the recorded video has the same issue.

I've tried unchecking the disable AC3 support. I've Recorded .TS at a lower 3Mb/s but it seems to be the same as at 5Mb/s, I've tried scaling 720p from 60 to 30 frames per second, unchecking Hardware acceleration (doesn't seem to make a difference). I've even monitored the task manager Resource Monitor, the CPU frequency is the only one hitting 100% - not all the time but I think that's normal.
I've recorded in a different format MP4, same thing. I don't think the splitter is the problem or the HDMI cable (it has LAN support - but I don't use it) perhaps it's the LAN causing problems - I will have to try when I get home - swapping cables around.

Any other ideas or help would be appreciated.

1 - 4 of 4 Posts