AVS Forum banner
1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
14 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
So I've been using my Colossus / WMC for awhile now to record shows. I schedule WMC when to record and the Colossus does it's thing. It's been working fine for about 8 months but recently I've been having some issues. After about an hour into streaming the recorded program the video flickers and the color becomes distorted. I get some yellow / red / blue wash-out, kind of looks like watching a 3D movie without glasses. It behaves almost like one of the component cables (RGB) becomes loose even though that is not the case. If it stops recording and picks up another scheduled recording a little later the quality is back to normal. Is this a sign that the card is overheating / about to go out on me or could this be some kind of software conflict? Has anyone experienced this? I have not changed hardware / software lately other than typical software updates...

·
Registered
14 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Okay, I re-situated everything. My case is huge with a lot of large fans. I put the Colossus in the top PCI slot near the CPU fan and spaced my video cards apart underneath it. I had that distortion take place within 20 minutes of recording a show. Now what seems to happen after a PC restart is that it will record about 3/4 of an hour long show before the distortion sets in. After that any subsequent recordings that take place record a blue screen with sound. I have to restart the PC for it to start recording an image again. Could it be some kind of software conflict? I would lean more towards a physical issue somewhere like something failing in the card itself or maybe some sort of electrical interference when something nearby kicks on or something? I'm thinking of getting some ferrite blocks to eliminate that as a possibility before dropping $100 on a new card.

·
Registered
14 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Well, the issue was in the connectors on the back of the device I am recording from. There must be a loose connection in one of them or something. When I wiggle it around it starts working again. So far I have successfully recorded several shows over the past several days without issue. Thanks for the help but I think this can be flagged as resolved.

1 - 4 of 4 Posts