AVS Forum banner

1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
1,158 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited by Moderator)

·
Registered
5 Posts
I just bought one of these today. You can tell that the app is still very new and that Hauppauge is trying to get into this market. Personally, I like the simplicity...but there are still some bugs that Hauppauge needs to work out.

Has anyone else tried this device yet?

·
Registered
5 Posts
I just got off the phone with Hauppauge support...the guy was pretty helpful and welcomed my questions. My apologies for my chicken scratch:

Does it pass through original signal? Or does it transcode everything?
Always transcodes

5.1 Audio? Not at the moment. Not sure when will be implemented

Max video output format? Whatever the content is. 1080i displays 1080i. No broadcast is in 1080p

DVR with USB or sd card? Testing USB drives

Network logos? I saw 1 on my guide that has it. if available it will pull it

Beta tester? submit to support

Any roadmap you can share?

Any public forum to start a conversation?

Planning on plex support

·
Registered
457 Posts
A few of these type of devices are starting to roll out. This one limits recording to phones/Tablets and Apple tv. Seems like it needs a lot more work. Will stay with my Hdhomerun

·
Super Moderator
18,007 Posts
Link fixed in initial post. Posts about the broken link deleted.

·
Super Moderator
18,007 Posts
I personally think the price point is a bit high not to have CableCARD support. But maybe that's because there's not much I can't stream to all of my devices, anyway. My HTPC does a pretty good job of streaming outbound, too.

I guess for those with displays in hard-to-fish-coax locations, this could have some benefit. Or for a cordcutter watching something live on a tablet at the pool.

I do think recording something to the phone to watch later might be beneficial. Certainly easier than moving ripped BD movies or recorded TV files to an iPhone. That's not an easy thing to do.

·
Registered
156 Posts
This seems to be a 2 channel version of the Clearstream TV device, which is a single tuner. The app is the same for both devices.

When I ran the Fing app on home network, it registers as Elgato Tuner.

The Clearstream was completely reliable, but recording is limited to available space on supported device.

Attachments

·
Registered
1,636 Posts
I just got off the phone with Hauppauge support...the guy was pretty helpful and welcomed my questions. My apologies for my chicken scratch:

Does it pass through original signal? Or does it transcode everything?
Always transcodes

5.1 Audio? Not at the moment. Not sure when will be implemented

Max video output format? Whatever the content is. 1080i displays 1080i. No broadcast is in 1080p

DVR with USB or sd card? Testing USB drives

Network logos? I saw 1 on my guide that has it. if available it will pull it

Beta tester? submit to support

Any roadmap you can share?

Any public forum to start a conversation?

Planning on plex support
Yes it can pass through original signal but mobile device can't decode MPEG-2 nor AC3 so for it transcode it in to AVC/H264 and AAC and Closed Captioning

Yes it will copy 5.1 and even Closed Captioning info to for that you need Plex or NextPVR and NextPVR works better as both Tuner are work and setup as RAW MPEG as H254 video, I could only get 1 tuner to work with Plex and with Plex track record at fixing thing it maybe a long time

If want to used a USB hard drive SSD or 2.5/3.5 you can all way up 2TB note you must get a Self Powered USB Hard Drive Enclosure not a USB Powered Hard Drive Enclosure you may end up killing the device

It transcode the content in to progressive which can be 480p or 720p or 1080p which base on source resolution it dose not do any upscaling nor an deinterlacing

Sorry I can't share roadmap but I do know there working on address some major issues

Yup I saw that to Network logos in on my guide it only one Channel

Yes that right any beta just submit to tech support

You could go to facebook but far I know of there no open public forum that start a conversation other then here

Yes Valyard Clearstream TV device is same but as for registers as Elgato Tuner that is just software part so yes they look the same

Here are some of the spec
ViXs XCode 5516 Dual Steam Transcoding
Samsung KLM4G1FEPD-B031 4GB eMMC Storage
Samsung K4B2G1646F-BYMA 2x2GB 1866Mbps DDR3 System Memory
Maxlinear MXL603 Dual ATSC Tuner
Panasonic Demodulator MN88436
Realtek RTL8812AU AC1200 2.5/5G Wireless LAN
ARCLinux 3.12

Here inside look at hardware

Attachments

·
Registered
23 Posts
I purchased from best buy ebay outlet for $79. It has a lot of problems from the get go. In order to use the PVR function I had to update the firmware using support page instructions. I could only record on device IOS and android with stock firmware. Updated firmware allowed to schedule recording on USB stick plugged into cordcutter device. USB files would open on PC using VLC. I didn't do a lot of experiments.

They put out a new firmware (411) in June which I used. After that I could not get the USB or any tablet to record. I cannot get the device to connect to wifi anymore. The update changed the serial number of my device.

At the moment I can only use the cordcutter to watch OTA local channels if the device is ethernet connected.

Support has not answered any of my emailed problems since I updated the firmware about 3 weeks ago.

·
Registered
1,636 Posts
I purchased from best buy ebay outlet for $79. It has a lot of problems from the get go. In order to use the PVR function I had to update the firmware using support page instructions. I could only record on device IOS and android with stock firmware. Updated firmware allowed to schedule recording on USB stick plugged into cordcutter device. USB files would open on PC using VLC. I didn't do a lot of experiments.

They put out a new firmware (411) in June which I used. After that I could not get the USB or any tablet to record. I cannot get the device to connect to wifi anymore. The update changed the serial number of my device.

At the moment I can only use the cordcutter to watch OTA local channels if the device is ethernet connected.

Support has not answered any of my emailed problems since I updated the firmware about 3 weeks ago.
Yes you do have update the firmware
If you got facebook go there make post or call tech support and retry sent your message to [email protected] or jhenriquez AT hauppauge.com
I all ready told them about that problem Wi-Fi

1 - 11 of 11 Posts