AVS Forum banner

1 - 16 of 16 Posts

·
Registered
261 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I heard there were lots of issues in getting the Hauppauge HD 1212 working with Vista MC. Something about the H.264 codec?

My question is, can I use the Hauppauge HD 1212 to record HD cable in 7MC? Will it work just as seamlessly as my 2250?

·
Registered
912 Posts
Yes and no.

The main issue is that HDPVR is not supported by Media Center in either Vista or 7MC. Supposedly Hauppauge is working on a driver to remedy the situation but who knows when it will be released.

There is a third party plugin (DVBlink) that has managed to bypass the problem by creating a bridge (basically to fool 7MC to see the card as a DVB-S card). The plugin is $30 and it does a really nice job. I am in the process right now of going through the install myself. Had a few problems but nothing significant.

·
Registered
912 Posts
Just to clarify the problems that I am having are related to the IR blaster and getting it to change channelss on the STB. I have both an VMC remote/receiver and the one that comes with the HD PVR and I am not sure which one to use. So far I have had problems with both but I am sure it is just a setup issue.

·
Registered
261 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Thank you Zagor. This would actually be a cheaper (and hopefully better) solution--that is, instead of getting a CableCARD for now.

Let me know when you get it all set up. I'd like to hear a review before I make a purchase.

Also, do you have a link to the plugin?

·
Registered
261 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Please enlighten me:

I don't quite understand the need for this plugin or for setting up channels. Wouldn't MC control the channels on my cable box via an IR blaster? I won't be using this as a tuner, only as a capture card for component cables from my cable box.

·
Registered
912 Posts
Well, MC still needs to "see" the capture card just like it "sees" other tuner/capture cards that you have currently installed. Without this plugin MC does not see the HDPVR (it's just like it is not there) so you won't be able to set it up, assign a guide to it, control the IRblaster etc...

·
Registered
566 Posts
Does this work with the USB-UIRT? I understand the latest version of DVB-Link supports 2 HD-PVRs, but the Hauppauge drivers only support one IR blaster at the time. With Sage therefore you need the USB-UIRT.

·
Registered
5,344 Posts

Quote:
I understand the latest version of DVB-Link supports 2 HD-PVRs

Is that true???????????

·
Registered
912 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by therealbiglou /forum/post/16920295

Gotcha. Well, pending your opinion on the final setup, it looks like I may have found my solution.

Well, I finished the initial setup and I must say that I am impressed with the results. Once setup, it integrates in media center just like any other tuner. The guide works perfectly and what really made things easier was the ability to use firewire (using firestb) to change channels on my STB (Time Warner SA4240HDC) instead of using the IR blaster. It is so much faster and stable. I scheduled a recording and it worked perfectly fine. I need to play with it some more but I will be purchasing this plugin based on these early results.

·
Registered
261 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
Sounds great! I've never heard of this FireSTB. Sounds like an awesome program! Is there a STB compatibility list I can check to see if mine is on there? What do you do? Just connect it via firewire and MC/FireSTB will recognize it?

·
Registered
912 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by therealbiglou /forum/post/16924616

Sounds great! I've never heard of this FireSTB. Sounds like an awesome program! Is there a STB compatibility list I can check to see if mine is on there? What do you do? Just connect it via firewire and MC/FireSTB will recognize it?

Check here:

http://exdeus.home.comcast.net/~exdeus/stbfirewire/

Basically, yes. Just connect the STB to the PC via firewire. Install the drivers/software (obtained from the link above) and setup the dvblink plugin to make use of it. There is a command line interpreter called channel.exe as part of the installation. You may need to play with the different switches that it supports to see which one works best with your particular STB. You can also daisy chain multiple STB and control each one individually so for the question above about using multiple ir blaster, this will take care of that. The main thing is that your STB has to be one of the supported type.

·
Registered
261 Posts
Discussion Starter · #15 ·
If I don't yet have a 1212 and am just using my 2250, will I need DVBLink to run FireSTB?

Zagor, you've been amazing. Thanks!

·
Registered
912 Posts
No, you don't need dvblink to run firestb but I am not sure how 7MC would control the application. This is an old application first developed for MCE (2005). Development seems to have stopped but a lot of people still seem to use it. This was my first attempt on getting it to work and luckly the plugin calls the command line on its own. May need to do some research on the topic. I have seen a few threads around...I'll let you know if I find anything. However it works great with the plugin. I recorded two other shows today, one was 30 minutes and the other was 3 hours on different channels. Just got back and I saw that both recorded just fine. So far it is working just fine.

Have you installed it? If you have try using the command line and send some a channel change command to your STB and see if it works. The installation creates a CMD shortcut under Timmmoore Firewire STB program group. Just click on it and a CMD window will open up. Type: channel -v and press enter. Make a note of the Panel Device number (it should be number 2) and then send a command again by typing channel -f 2 124

The -f forces the command the 2 is the Panel Device number and 124 is the channel number. See if the stb changes channel to 124. If it does than great if it doesn't play around with the -a switch. There are 6 options. Send a command like this. Channel -f -a4 2 124

Try a0 to a6 and see which one works.

1 - 16 of 16 Posts