AVS Forum banner

Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Premium Member
5,818 Posts
Thanks Keld! I just upgraded to the newer drivers under Windows XP. Notice during the install, Hauppauge still call the drivers "Middleware". I'm guessing that means it is not complete. I believe their ultimate intention is to get Microsoft certification for their unified WDM drivers.

·
Registered
42 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
By the way, don't uninstall the old drivers first, this is only a update, not a full driver package.

If you uninstall, it will not work

·
Premium Member
5,818 Posts
I was lucky, this was the first time I actually didn't uninstall my old ones. I knew something wasnt right because the file was too small.

·
Registered
73 Posts
Unbelievable! The old and well-known bug of not supporting the highest PAL resolution (768 x 576) is still not solved in this new driver.

I know, it's still a beta and not official yet, but I surely hope that in the official driver this bug is finally solved!

Further experience with this driver:

- picture quality slightly improved and very good now.

- speed (when capturing live TV to file) a bit higher. I can now capture 640 x 480 resolution in Divx4 easily with my 1 GHz Athlon

Afterwards I have to do de-interlacing of course (with VirtualDub).

Regards,

Johan

·
Registered
40 Posts
Johan, what program do you use to capture video?

are you using virtualdub? if so, you would be using the vfw wrapper, right? and that dosent degrade performance?

right now, I am using a vcr tuner to pipe video in to my wintv-d and am using the "old" vfw drivers. I am capturing in virtualdub (320x240) using 4.02 to compress realtime, (and the quality is quite good...let me know if you know of a better way of doing this

These are my 4.02 settings:

1-pass

slowest performance/quality

6000 kbps

max quant 6

min quant 2

key frame 300

Thanks,

Volodar

·
Registered
73 Posts
Volodar,

I use ShowShifter for capturing ( www.showshifter.com ). It supports the WDM-driver. The Divx4-settings I use are:

1-pass quality based

performance/quality: fastest

encoding quality: 100%

de-interlace not checked for high resolutions (in my opinion the Divx-encoder has a very bad de-interlacer).

I don't use VirtualDub, because it doesn't support WDM very well. And with the VFW-driver the speed is not high enough to capture in Divx4 in the highest resolution.

If someone knows a better way to capture at the highest possible quality please let me know.

Regards,

Johan

1 - 9 of 9 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.