AVS Forum banner
1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I am having freezing problems with my Hauppauge WinTV-DCR-2650 CableCARD Tuner in that very frequently, while watching TV in Windows Media Center, the picture and sound comes to a hault and freezes. To recover, I have to exit out of WMC and remove the power from the Hauppauge tumer and plug back in and then restart WMC. This works but is a PITA to do this several times a night. Is there any cure for this?

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter · #2 ·
I did a firmware update on the DCR-2650 and I think all is well. The only other problem is that Windows Media Center is hogging my resources and overheating all my cpu cores.

·
Registered
11,443 Posts
That doesn't sound "well" at all. Have you had a gander at Resouce Monitor to see what is hogging up all the resources? What is your HTPC anyhow?

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
This is on my main PC. HP HPE8 3,5GHz AMD FX-6120 CPU - 10GB DDR3 RAM. I do not use it as An HTPC. I just watch TV on it among other things. Windows Media Center is the resource hog. My ore temps jump ftom about 27 deg C to around 57 to 59 deg C when Windows Media Center is launched. I just think I will have to go to a Corsair Liquid Cooling System.

·
Registered
11,443 Posts
No system running HMC needs to be liquid cooled. Something is not right. WMC runs at less than 20% of my i3-550, 3.2 GHz dual core. The temps are very low too.

·
Registered
11,443 Posts
Comparing temps for a 2-core Intel to that of a 6-core AMD is not really appropriate. I'm willing to bet that your processor runs hotter out of the gate. That said, my i5-650 desktop which I am checking right now did not change temps at all when loading WMC with a LiveTV stream:

PCH : 34C

CPU: 25C

1 - 7 of 7 Posts