AVS Forum banner

2481 - 2500 of 5201 Posts

·
Registered
89 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Octavean /forum/post/14472186

Hummm,.

Looks like newegg is selling the Hauppauge HD PVR. In the pix they seemed to have sprung to print the name of the product on it as well as the Hauppauge name. Probably not a new revision though. Packaging looks retail too. My HD PVR came in a basic white box:

My newegg purchased HD PVR came in today. Rev C2, retail box.

·
Registered
603 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by dv8shun /forum/post/14481345

I tried uninstalling and reinstalling CoreAVC but the same issue for VBR TS files.

Did you install Haali Media Splitter too? That is the more likely cause of the problem. You should uninstall both CoreAVC and Haali, then install the latest CoreAVC Pro (which includes a version of Haali) to make sure you have compatible versions of both.

·
Registered
23 Posts
I know there have been some issues with this unit in the past according to others, and I was wondering if it would be smarter to order one from the source Hauppauge website in order to get the very latest version, or would it be safe to order from somewhere like Amazon, which has it for quite a bit cheaper.

·
Registered
15 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by wokwokabc /forum/post/14483210

Did you install Haali Media Splitter too? That is the more likely cause of the problem. You should uninstall both CoreAVC and Haali, then install the latest CoreAVC Pro (which includes a version of Haali) to make sure you have compatible versions of both.

I guess I should have been more clear, but yep, I uninstalled both CoreAVC and Haali, then reinstalled CoreAVC. No dice for VBR TS files. Assuming I need to cut stuff, it looks like I'm going to have to use Constant bitrate with the HD-PVR.

Perhaps this is quite the noobish question, is there any general information on encoding video using Variable Bitrate or Constant Bitrate in terms of final quality? I've only found a couple of forum posts on VideoHelp via a Google search.

·
Registered
279 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by the_tom /forum/post/14480356

HDPVR Encoder

49cc4c43-ca83-4ad4-a9af-f3696af666df (which seems to be known as ENCAPIPARAM_BITRATE)

703f16a9-3d48-44a1-b077-018dff915d19 (which seems to be known as ENCAPIPARAM_PEAK_BITRATE)

ee5fb25c-c713-40d1-9d58-c0d7241e250f (which seems to be known as ENCAPIPARAM_BITRATE_MODE)...

So I found a few minutes to dig a little deeper. It appears that these three prop sets actually work, and the names I found are appropriate (I didn't have a video input turned on when I tried before and got all zero values back). I find that when I "get" the values they correspond to the ones shown on the filter property page dialog, and when I "set" one to a different value, the filter dialog shows the new value that I set.
  • Each propertyset appears to have only one property, with a property id of 0.
  • Each property has a 32 bit integer as a value (which can be get or set).
  • propertyset 49cc4c43-ca83-4ad4-a9af-f3696af666df property 0 is the average bitrate, e.g. the default value is 9000000
  • propertyset 03f16a9-3d48-44a1-b077-018dff915d19 property 0 is the peak bitrate, e.g. the default value is 13500000
  • propertyset ee5fb25c-c713-40d1-9d58-c0d7241e250f property 0 is the bit rate mode, 0 = constant, 1 = variable average, 2 = variable peak.

Here's a function for setting one, in vb.net using the directshow.net library, which anyone may feel free to copy, use, translate to C#, etc.

Code:
Code:
Function setFiltProp(ByVal filtName As String, ByVal guid As Guid, ByVal propid As Integer, ByVal propval As Integer) As Boolean
        Dim val As IntPtr = Marshal.AllocHGlobal(4)
        Try
            ' Note gb is a member variable define as follows, and previously loaded in another method
            ' Dim gb As IGraphBuilder = New FilterGraph
            Dim ibf As IBaseFilter = FilterGraphTools.FindFilterByName(gb, filtName)
            Dim ips As IKsPropertySet = CType(ibf, IKsPropertySet)
            Dim hr As Integer = 0
            Dim pva(0) As Integer ' there sb a better way, but it needs an array in Copy()....
            pva(0) = propval
            Marshal.Copy(pva, 0, val, 1)
            hr = ips.Set(guid, propid, IntPtr.Zero, 0, val, 4)
            Marshal.ThrowExceptionForHR(hr)
            Return True
        Catch ex As Exception
            Me.mLastEx = ex
            Return False
        Finally
            Marshal.FreeHGlobal(val)
        End Try
    End Function

·
Registered
171 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by the_tom /forum/post/14483946

Here's a function for setting one, in vb.net using the directshow.net library, which anyone may feel free to copy, use, translate to C#, etc.

Excellent stuff, thank you very much!

·
Registered
47 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by mullet34 /forum/post/14478861

I also use variable bit rate captures (using different averages) and cut with h.264 Cutter. TME does not re-encode when creating an AVCHD. It takes about 45 minutes for a single layer disk on my Quad core 6600 with 3GB RAM.

What takes 45 mins? If you're taking about making an avchd disk then that sounds like a really long time....and you and I have the same processor.

·
Registered
5,447 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by the_tom /forum/post/14483946
  • Each propertyset appears to have only one property, with a property id of 0.
  • Each property has a 32 bit integer as a value (which can be get or set).
  • propertyset 49cc4c43-ca83-4ad4-a9af-f3696af666df property 0 is the average bitrate, e.g. the default value is 9000000
  • propertyset 03f16a9-3d48-44a1-b077-018dff915d19 property 0 is the peak bitrate, e.g. the default value is 13500000
  • propertyset ee5fb25c-c713-40d1-9d58-c0d7241e250f property 0 is the bit rate mode, 0 = constant, 1 = variable average, 2 = variable peak.

Quick (untested) C# translation:
Code:
Code:
public bool setFiltProp(string filtName, Guid guid, int propid, int propval) 
{ 
    IntPtr val = Marshal.AllocHGlobal(4); 
    try { 
        // Note gb is a member variable defined as follows, and previously loaded in another method 
        // IGraphBuilder gb = New FilterGraph();
        IBaseFilter ibf = FilterGraphTools.FindFilterByName(gb, filtName); 
        IKsPropertySet ips = (IKsPropertySet)ibf; 
        int hr = 0; 
        int[] pva = new int[1]; 
        // there sb a better way, but it needs an array in Copy().... 
        pva[0] = propval; 
        Marshal.Copy(pva, 0, val, 1); 
        hr = ips.Set(guid, propid, IntPtr.Zero, 0, val, 4); 
        Marshal.ThrowExceptionForHR(hr); 
        return true; 
    } 
    catch (Exception ex) { 
        this.mLastEx = ex; 
        return false; 
    } 
    finally { 
        Marshal.FreeHGlobal(val); 
    } 
}

·
Registered
279 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by vladd /forum/post/14485425

Quick (untested) C# translation:...

The only nits that I noticed were, you'll need [] instead of () on pva(0) =,

and the New in the comment would want to be new if someone was going to use it.

Also, for general info, as these apply to the encoder filter, the filtName to use is "Hauppauge HD PVR Encoder". So, altogther, a code snippet to call to this fn in C# would look something like

Code:
Code:
string fn = "Hauppauge HD PVR Encoder";
Guid encoderModeGuid = new Guid("ee5fb25c-c713-40d1-9d58-c0d7241e250f");
bool rc = setFiltProp(fn, encoderModeGuid, 0, 2); // set to variable peak
if (!rc)
{
    // log or complain about the error
}

·
Registered
171 Posts
Whenever I need to translate between VB & C#, I use this site. There a few things it has trouble with when going between the two (like not wiring up events on the C# side of things), but all in all it does a great first pass.

·
Registered
5,447 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by the_tom /forum/post/14485648

... you'll need [] instead of () on pva(0) = ...

Good catch. I fixed it above

Quote:
Originally Posted by E39 /forum/post/14485766

Whenever I need to translate between VB & C#, I use this site. There a few things it has trouble with when going between the two (like not wiring up events on the C# side of things), but all in all it does a great first pass.

Um.. That's where I got the translation, hence the untested.
I modified the comments though and fixed the "pv(0)" that Tom caught.

·
Registered
192 Posts
Wow thanks the_tom and vladd for all that good info and work. This should make it stupid easy to work into rcTVCap. Now I just need to find some down time when the hd pvr isn't recording so I can move it to my development box. I really do need to order a second one.

·
Registered
276 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by mulletpole /forum/post/14484909

What takes 45 mins? If you're taking about making an avchd disk then that sounds like a really long time....and you and I have the same processor.

I'm burning at 4X.

·
Registered
16,442 Posts
I bought one at a retail store today, Microcenter. Rev C2 on the bottom of the box and the install CD is version 1.0B

Am I as up to date as I can be or do I need to download new stuff first?

Should I assume the L/R in jacks are still reversed? I won't bother with optical in until Dolby 5.1 support comes along. Any other help or advice would be appreciated. Thanks guys!

·
Registered
603 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by m. zillch /forum/post/14488416

Am I as up to date as I can be or do I need to download new stuff first?

There has only been one release of the HD PVR software. The "update" at Hauppauge's web site is exactly the same drivers. At least the XP drivers. I did a binary file compare and the XP drivers were byte for byte identical -- even though the timestamps of the files were different.

Quote:
Originally Posted by m. zillch /forum/post/14488416

Should I assume the L/R in jacks are still reversed?

They probably are reversed but this is so easy to test why assume anything. Just hook up one cable -- is the sound on the correct side?

·
Registered
915 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by wokwokabc /forum/post/14490521

They probably are reversed but this is so easy to test why assume anything. Just hook up one cable -- is the sound on the correct side?

Which way is West: when you are driving North look to the left!

Or as John Candy said to Steve Martin in "Planes, Trains and Automobiles:" how does he know where we're going!?!"

·
Registered
5,344 Posts
Red right, White left....

·
Registered
4,632 Posts
wait is this the reason why when i recorded something and played it on my ps3, the audio only worked when i changed it to the left instead of left and right?

·
Registered
16,442 Posts
Help! My computer [Vista Home Premium SP1] won't let me view the Total Media Extreme software's preview screen. With or without the USB connected to the HD PVR, Windows closes it down reporting "VideoCapture has stopped working. Windows is looking for a solution" I have an ATI cablecard tuner already installed that came with the computer. A FAQ page at Hauppauge mentioned having another tuner present may goof up their system and that by changing the source device I could remedy that but I'm locked out of clicking on the source field or "reset"; as soon as I launch the recording application the cursor turns to the "wait symbol" and I can't left or right click anything until the whole program crashes as I've described.
Anyone?

P.S. I know the HD PVR is getting a healthy 1080i signal because the pass through to the TV is good [video wise, I can't say for the sound cause I have that hooked to my stereo, not passed on to the TV]

·
Registered
5,108 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by the_tom /forum/post/14450766

There's something funny about getting the red light etc. to turn on. Try making a short capture with ArcSoft, then kill it and try rcTVCap again, and see if the red light doesn't come on for you when rcTVCap is running...

Guess what, my bling and record LED lights now come on, I figured out the difference. I recently installed Visual C# and I built my own rcTVCap, no real change, it was mostly just to see if it would build. But, if I run the executable that I built, the bling and record LEDs come on when I capture, if I run the exe that I downloaded they don't. Both exe files seem to work identical, but the one compiled on my machine turns on the LEDs.

Edit: Ok, scratch what I said above, now the one I downloaded from the net, turns on the LEDs also.

2481 - 2500 of 5201 Posts