AVS Forum banner

1101 - 1120 of 5201 Posts

·
Registered
228 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by ftaok /forum/post/14062898

Thanks for the info. I had no idea what you guys were talking about in those filter graph discussions, so it just went over my head. It's good to know that there is a way to do it.

But it's good to hear that recordings still come out fine even if the CPU is pegged out.

Incidentally, I've already had an exchange with a Hauppauge rep regarding Mac support and recording without the preview. His response was that Mac support is not on the short term radar, but would likely be supported at some point. His response regarding the recording without preview was this, "Currently there is no background recording function so the CPU requirements can not be lowered."

ft

What kind of Mac do you have? Can you use Boot Camp?

I'm on a MacBook Pro, Using Boot Camp for Win XP. No problems with HD PVR.

·
Registered
1,329 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by KavMan /forum/post/14063019

What kind of Mac do you have? Can you use Boot Camp?

I'm on a MacBook Pro, Using Boot Camp for Win XP. No problems with HD PVR.

We have 2 Macs. A G3 iBook and my wife's 2ghz CoreDuo Macbook. I could load BootCamp onto the Macbook, but my wife hates when I use her Macbook for doing stuff like this. I end up tying it up for hours and she hates using her old PC.

So I figure that I could use my PC laptop for recording and the Macbook for playing the videos.

ft

·
Registered
915 Posts
1. Well KavMan and I have both expressed that the HD-PVR works fine on our respective Mac's with Boot Camp...

2. I kinda like the preview and if it wasn't for the preview I wouldn't know when it froze, as the picture froze but the audio kept going...

3. I waited 4 years for consumer-priced analog component HD digitization; I suppose I can wait a little longer for 5.1.

·
Registered
915 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by bobdole369 /forum/post/14062387

Arcsoft doesn't do this - the h.264 stream is made that way. I'm willing to bet that the Ambarella chip always outputs 59.94 to handle interlacing.

Yes, I can understand uping to 59.94 half-frames for interlacing, but: this occurs on both of my progressive captures: 720 and 480. Why would it take a 29.97 input and output progressive at 59.94? And, if so, I bet this frame rate is what is causing all of the player/editor problems...

·
Registered
56 Posts

Quote:
"Graphics with 256MB or greater"

I have a sneaking suspicion that this number is pulled right out of thin air.

Maybe because most vid cards with 256+MB are at least Geforce 7000 series (ATI x1xxx series?)- thus supporting DXVA and likely to do hardware de-interlacing.

·
Registered
56 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by MichaelLAX /forum/post/14063680

Yes, I can understand uping to 59.94 half-frames for interlacing, but: this occurs on both of my progressive captures: 720 and 480. Why would it take a 29.97 input and output progressive at 59.94? And, if so, I bet this frame rate is what is causing all of the player/editor problems...

http://www.avsforum.com/avs-vb/showt...6#post14010956

See above.

·
Registered
5,344 Posts

Quote:
I was just gonna ask the same thing. Seems like with the preview screen on, the CPU usage of a "lesser" machine is going to be pegged at 100%.

If you schedule a recording with the Hauppague Scheduler, there is no preview and cpu usage is down....

·
Registered
279 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by jimwhite /forum/post/14064525

If you schedule a recording with the Hauppague Scheduler, there is no preview and cpu usage is down....

I just tried that piece of (software) again and it certainly did not behave that way for me. At the scheduled time, the arcsoft capture module popped up in all its glory, preview window and all. The only diff I saw, was that the scheduled capture use 100% of my 3.0GHz E8400, instead of 40 to 50%.

Which is not really a plug for my next post, just a sort of prerequisite test for me to bother posting it...

·
Registered
279 Posts
I amused myself today by making a lightweight version of my capture sw focused on the HDPVR (though it should run other graphs too). I stripped out support for tuning and capture over firewire, MyHD boards, coordinating multiple devices in a capture path, IR control of DVR etc., post-processing commands, multiple captures at one time, the intrface to SchedulesDirect, etc. etc.

What is left allows you to set up a schedule of captures from your HDPVR. If you can type a command to tune your source it should work with this program, otherwise it will not change channels for you. [Edit: if you have configured the HDPVR blaster and it works, you should be able to change channels using a provided command that invokes a Hauppauge command-line program.] And it will wake the PC up from sleep to perform a scheduled capture, and put the PC back to sleep afterwards if you told it to. And you can set up different strategies with capture graphs configured for different resolutions, and pick a different one on each scheduled capture.

I'll attach a couple of screen shots and the readme file.

The first three PMs from folks who have a working HDPVR and want to try it, and include an email address, and say that agree that it is beta software that they will use with due care and at their own risk, will get a zip file by email.

If anybody wants it.

readme.txt 2.7822265625k . file

Attachments

·
Registered
19 Posts
Just to throw this out there for people who may have some experience with capture file sizes. I've done a lot of MPEG2 captures from Comcast cable in the clear (broadcast network) with Dvico tv cards that worked out on average to be in the neighborhood of 20 Gigs (about 3-3 1\\2 hours of video). I would then transcode the video to H.264 with Mediacoder. Even though the process with a dual core machine is like pulling teeth (average 30 hours conversion time with my 2 yr. old 4200+). The quality of the video was excellent. My rates per hour for H264 converted video was about 1.5 to 2 Gigs. I'm a little disappointed that the file sizes for the HD PVR are larger with no difference in quality. Hopefully they will upgrade drivers and give us an App. with more control over recording parameters. The speed savings for me (no transcoding to H264) are well worth it but I'm just disappointed in file sizes. Only my opinion venting here...

Jack

·
Registered
279 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by KCZT /forum/post/14066273

Just to throw this out there for people who may have some experience with capture file sizes. I've done a lot of MPEG2 captures from Comcast cable in the clear (broadcast network) with Dvico tv cards that worked out on average to be in the neighborhood of 20 Gigs (about 3-3 1\\2 hours of video). I would then transcode the video to H.264 with Mediacoder. Even though the process with a dual core machine is like pulling teeth (average 30 hours conversion time with my 2 yr. old 4200+). The quality of the video was excellent. My rates per hour for H264 converted video was about 1.5 to 2 Gigs. I'm a little disappointed that the file sizes for the HD PVR are larger with no difference in quality. Hopefully they will upgrade drivers and give us an App. with more control over recording parameters. The speed savings for me (no transcoding to H264) are well worth it but I'm just disappointed in file sizes. Only my opinion venting here...

Jack

I interpret this as, the PQ of HDPVR output compressed to lower bitrates is not as good as one might expect from H.264. My prior experience with H.264 is limited, but I would tend to agree. My guess is that what we see now is as good a job as the moderately-priced, low-wattage A2 chip can accomplish in real time.

·
Registered
6,797 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by KCZT /forum/post/14066273

My rates per hour for H264 converted video was about 1.5 to 2 Gigs. I'm a little disappointed that the file sizes for the HD PVR are larger with no difference in quality.

FWIW- I've actually gotten pretty good results with the capture settings of "Variable average= 6.5Mbps" "Peak=11mbps"- I captured the HD recording of the 2hr24min movie "Contact" and the .ts capture file was under 4.5GB. I looked at the high motion scenes like where Jodie foster travels through the wormhole- and with the above capture settings I didn't see any unwanted encoding artifacts that weren't in the original Hi-def source recording from my TiVo-HD. For shorter movies- under 2 hrs length, I've been using "Variable average= 8.5Mbps" "Peak=13mbps" with capture file sizes right around the 4GB size with no motion artifact issues.

Nice thing with the HD-PVR and ArcSoft capture program is the ability to see the capture quality realtime as you experiment with different settings- move the slider down to 1Mbps and look at the picture quality..... To find a good capture setting for a particular movie- I cue up the scenes with the most motion then capture a few minutes at different bitrate settings then watch them back on my 42" HD-TV. The one with the lowest bitrate that shows no motion artifacts is the winner.

·
Registered
561 Posts
Yeah, its pretty cool that you can see the quality in real time. You can also then experiment and capture a minute of recording and then do the math to see how big a file you will get at the end with your settings.

·
Registered
305 Posts
i'm trying to figure out the best way to watch these files...making blu-ray disks works great but i only have 1 blu-ray player and some the .ts files are over 8.??gb (dual-layer) so one disk won't cut it...making regular dvd works but of course quality suffers...mp4 files look great on my 360s but i only have 2 of them and these files don't show up in Media Center so when using them as an extender u can't play them, i put a small file on a cd and the 360 played it fine after i updated it but a larger file on a data dvd did not play, told me it was not a dvd. i have more HD-DVD players than anything, none of my PC's are powerful enough to play the .ts files cleanly. how can i get these files to play in HD on my HD-DVD players? another thing...when i use Mediaconverter included in the Arcsoft bundle it takes hours to make even a 100mb mp4 file. the other simple program does it a lot quicker but no sound plays when i try them on the pc but on my 360 sound is there, strange or are my settings off? in the simple program there is nothing to change as far as options that i can find.

·
Registered
1,819 Posts
Last night I made a AVCHD disc just for fun, and found out that WinDVD 8 can recognize and playback the discs on my PC. I didn't think the AVCHD discs would be recognized by any of the few video players I have installed.

Sounds like i'm among the few who things the Arcsoft software is easy to use and works well(minus the preview window, but that doesn't really affect me since I have a powerful CPU). I don't use the media player much, I use media player classic w/ the CoreAVC codec for watching the TS files.

Also, the Arcsoft AVCHD creator lets you use MPEG2 files that I captured from my Comcast DVR using CapDVHS, but I haven't tried making a disc with both .ts h264 files and MPEG2 files.

·
Registered
5,344 Posts

Quote:
The speed savings for me (no transcoding to H264) are well worth it but I'm just disappointed in file sizes.

Have you tried converting from TS to PS ?? Maybe the TS contains some padding and overhead...

·
Registered
15 Posts
Just got the following email from Hauppauge....they appear to be holding off shipping my order until some of the initial bugs are fixed...

Dear Customer,

Thank you for your order for our HD-PVR. As we are sure you are aware, some customers who have received the first allocation of these units have experienced technical issues with the HD-PVR. We are in the process of finalizing the fix for these issues and they will be implemented in the next wave of product shipping to you. We expect to be able to resume shipments by the end of the month.

We apologize for the wait but we feel it will be well worth it.

Thank you for choosing Hauppauge!

Regards,

Vincent

·
Registered
2,121 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by bcdal /forum/post/14070849

Just got the following email from Hauppauge....they appear to be holding off shipping my order until some of the initial bugs are fixed...

Dear Customer,

Thank you for your order for our HD-PVR. As we are sure you are aware, some customers who have received the first allocation of these units have experienced technical issues with the HD-PVR. We are in the process of finalizing the fix for these issues and they will be implemented in the next wave of product shipping to you. We expect to be able to resume shipments by the end of the month.

We apologize for the wait but we feel it will be well worth it.

Thank you for choosing Hauppauge!

Regards,

Vincent

All of which begs the question regarding what the fix will be and how that can be applied to those of us who already have units.

1101 - 1120 of 5201 Posts