AVS Forum banner
1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hello,
I have a Hauppage WinTV-quadHD 1609 that usually records the entirety of a program, but ~1 of 3 scheduled recordings, it stops early at somewhat random times. The log through the WinTV software suggests the card is still attempting to record and the "red light" for the small Windows 10 icon is still present when the *.ts file stops growing in size. This pci-e card is the second WinTV-quadHD 1609 I have received from Amazon in the second computer I have tested. The current computer is an "HP 8100 Desktop Computer Intel i5 3.2GHz Processor 8GB Memory 1TB HDD Genuine Windows 10 Professional (Certified Refurbished)" purchased from Amazon. Both cards and computers had similar issues, and the problem was present in Windows 7 and Windows 10. There is only one hard drive in the system, and the files are being written to this drive. I don't know if there is an issue with overheating or an issue with the software. The signal seems pretty decent with an SNR of 36. Hauppage has not responded to requests for support. Any suggestions? Thank you.

Aaron

·
Registered
371 Posts
Hauppauge is popular, but unfortunately, they write crappy drivers. I suggest do at least one reboot per week. More reboots might be necessary if using the card a lot. I have an HVR-2250 and HVR-2255 that has the problems that you are experiencing. Hauppauge support is poor, so again a reboot is the only fix.

When dealing with a retailer like Amazon, don't return the product until the manufacturer said so. You should work with the manufacturer to fix the problem. The reason for doing returns is when the product being advertised has wrong information or the product is not compatible.

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Thank you for the response. I talked to someone from Hauppage technical support today on the phone, and they asked me to send extended logs (*.txt) associated with a failed/stopped recording. The person said the developers would analyze them to see what might be interrupting the recordings.

I agree that rebooting may help based on my limited experience, but the stopped recordings are pretty random. WinTV can produce a stopped recording and then proceed to record subsequently scheduled programs correctly without rebooting.

If Hauppage technical support comes up with a solution, I will post. On a separate note, I only need to record Clear QAM. If there is a more reliable care out there for this purpose, I am open to suggestions. I hope this card will be able to work consistently, but if not, I am very open to using another PCI-based card. Thank you, again.

·
Registered
11 Posts
Try increasing the minimum processor frequency to a higher setting. Go to Control Panel -> System and Security -> Power options -> Change plan settings -> Change advanced power settings ->Processor power management and change Minimum processor state (default is 5% on the Balanced power plan) adjust it upwards to something like 70% and see if that helps.

My guess is that there is a blip in the video stream that the card can't handle at the same time there is a jump in processor frequency. The idea is to have the processor already set so it doens't have to make the change and cause a lock up or freeze or crash or stop recording as you mention.

I have an older card as well recording OTA antenna through coax, it's not often but on occassion through winTV v7 it crashes, although the .ts file still records, the file size still increases but only if I can only see that if I back out of the directory and back in. There are minor blips in the recording, I have yet to check out increasing the minimum frequency which seems to have worked for my HDMI signal on another system for my colossus 2 pci card. I've only just discovered the solution so I'm anxious to see if this solution works on my other HTPC.

1 - 5 of 5 Posts