AVS Forum banner

Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 2 of 2 Posts

·
Registered
40 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I have a budget of $1,200 to $1,400 to spend on a new TV. Preferably something within the 34 - 40 inch range. What is the best TV or TV's to consider in this price range. I would be willing to spend a little bit more if the money spent will mean a far better picture quality. I'm not too familiar with the LCD/Flat panel or DLP projection TV's. I currently own a 34XBR960 and love the picture quality on both SD and HDTV. But I need to find a TV for another room that doesn't have quite as big a footprint as my current TV. I would appreciate some advice in this area on the Flat Panels. You all seem much more knowledgable about them than I do.

Also, will the picture quality on a LCD for SD TV suffer more ona TV set like this?

Thanks, I'm looking forward to anyone's response. And Happy Holidays to everyone.

Craig

·
Registered
114 Posts
Currently there aren't many flat panel units in the size/price range you mention. There were some no-name plasmas on Black Friday sales at or below those prices, but they had questionable picture (and perhaps build) quality. I bought a Philips 32" LCD HDTV in that price range, it's a nice unit, though slightly smaller than your target size. LCD 37" units are available from third-tier suppliers for a few hundred more.

If you don't require an onboard tuner, the Panasonic 42" plasma (TH-42PWD8UK) is currently available from forum sponsors (see top of page) in your price range. This unit has great picture quality, but is ED resolution, so probably best for viewing distances of 8+ feet.

Wait a year or so and there will likely be a wide selection of 37" LCDs and 42" plasmas in these price ranges.

1 - 2 of 2 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.