AVS Forum banner
1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
41 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Good evening gents and ladies. I currently have a HSU stf2 that has been a great sub but I want more. My father-in-law has a box with an old 15" sub in it that I want to replace. Since the box has no amp I will also need a way to power it.

Current setup is using a Denon 1909 along withEnergy CB-20's, CC-10, and CB-5s as surrounds. Dedicated media room that measures 14x16x10 ceiling which I calculated to be about 2200 ft^3 given the vaulted ceiling.

Will need to be budget conscious but also want it to be worthwhile. I may sell the stf2 to help compensate for more 15" expenditures.

The old box currently has a downfiring sub and I would like to keep it that way but I can move the feet if really necessary to move the box onto any side. The box measures 20x24.5x14 (excluding feet). Should be about 2.7 ft^3.

Thoughts?

Thanks in advance.

·
Registered
4,645 Posts
SDX-15 with 3lbs of fill will work in that enclosure just fine. EP2500 to power and you're set.

·
Registered
7,532 Posts
Hagarr, you don't select subs by the exerior volume. You select a sub to match up with the interior volume of an enclosure.

Assuming that box has no internal bracing at all and is made from 3/4" wood, then it only has 2.75 cu.ft. counting a 15" sub. Adding stuffing would bring you a bit above that, but not a lot.

You might consider putting a new baffle on it and fitting it with a 12" sub instead.

·
Registered
4,645 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by CZ Eddie /forum/post/16997294

Hagarr, you don't select subs by the exerior volume.

Ohh, that's what I get for skimming.

Hmm, the AV15h could work with some stuffing.

·
Registered
41 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Thank you all for your quick replies.

The old box is sealed and may need additional bracing to keep up with todays hard hitting subs. Although I would like to keep it simple with a 15" this box may just not be big enough. If I understand correctly, in order to get around 20hz and good coverage up to 80hz with such a small box it can be done but with higher costs. I would like to keep this project around $400. I am going to guess that it will outperform the current Hsu sub I now have. If not please advise.

The amp I am considering is the Oaudio 500W BASH.

If there is a 15" sub/amp combo that is going to get me where I want to for the stated price I'll do it. Could I do a 15" plus a passive radiator to help out on space?

The other option is to look at some 12" subs. Everybody and their grandma seems to crazy for the Shiva-X.

Although this box is currently sealed it doesn't have to be. I am pretty handy in my garage.

Thanks

Brian

·
Registered
41 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·

·
Registered
2,035 Posts
I'm starting a shiva-x build with the O-audio 500w amp. For under $400 it sounds like a great deal. The output for an enclosure that's 3.25ft^3 with that exact driver and amp is amazing assuming you get typical results. You can check out results HERE

Forgot to mention that's a sealed version, which is what I'm building. I would keep it sealed unless you're building something bigger...but others with more experience will chime in I'm sure. It saves you money going sealed too...just adjust your baffle, make a cutout for your amp and you're done. Add a touch of fill also.

1 - 10 of 10 Posts