AVS Forum banner
Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
20 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I was getting a 17 signal strength from abc in denver with rabbitears, so i went to radioshack and bought a outdoor ant and now I get a signal stgth of 79 but it still will not produce a moving picture. I get a lot of boxes tring to produce a picture but it seems I just need a little more signal. I am going to go to radioshack and get an amp for ant to see if I could get what i need. Any suggestions would be nice. What is the signal strength that you need to get a picture?

·
Registered
4,123 Posts
And which tuner are you using? When getting that same channel way down south, I need a solid 50% on a Dish 6000 tuner. Some nights I get as high as 60% but thankfully it never drops below 50. On my other tuner, the new Mistsubishi box, I need a solid 37 or higher. The 6000 does do a better job for me on the days where it's hard to lock. That is to say that the 6000 can hold the picture when the Mitsu has trouble.

------------------

Dan

Mitsubishi 55805

Dish 6000

DirecTv/Mitsu SR-HD400

Evu 6000

[This message has been edited by DP1 (edited 10-02-2001).]

·
Registered
1,058 Posts
I live near Highlands Ranch Blvd and Broadway. I have a RCA DTC-100, I get between 40% and 58%(depending on cloud coverage) from KMGH with an attic mounted $19 UHF only Radio Shack Antennae. If my signal drops below 40% I get drop outs, Fortunately that doesn't happen often. On an overcast day I get 58% signal strength, on a normal day it's 46%. I think all of these problems would go away if I mounted it outside.

I also bought a Sony HD-100 back in March. It gave a signal strength of 85% for KMGH, but it would never lock the signal. So I think the sensitivity of your receiver has a lot to do with it also.

·
Registered
20 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Gregg T,Do you point you ant directly at the downtown buildings or do you point it more east?? I can see the qwest buildings from my house and that is where I pointed the ant, but I know that the abc builing is at lincoln & speer which is more east than downtown.

·
Registered
20 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Well I moved the ant east from downtown and the picture gets better but still is not fully locked. I beleive it is a multipath issue. Maybe I should use a smaller ant? Any other way of dealing with mutipath??

·
Registered
1,058 Posts
Quote:
Originally posted by peppermint:
Gregg T,Do you point you ant directly at the downtown buildings or do you point it more east?? I can see the qwest buildings from my house and that is where I pointed the ant, but I know that the abc builing is at lincoln & speer which is more east than downtown.

Actually It points right to downtown Denver. I can't see any building from my house. I have other houses and trees in the way. UHF seems to be very directional. I get 94% signal on my set top antennae for Fox and about 76% with my UHF attic antennae.

·
Registered
721 Posts
As I am sure you probably already know, the numbers can vary between different brands of STB's. I live pretty close to the KMGH antenna ( around 5 miles ) and only get a 65 - 75 type of signal and have never had breakups, except when the antenna was moved out of position. It sounds like your 79 or so rating as far away from downtown as you live must really equate to only a 40 or so on the DTC100. Have you tried any other brands? If your unit is fairly new, take it in and tell the store of the problem and ask them to exchange for either another unit or another brand to try.

I would love to have a quick solution, but it sounds like you have tried moving it around a bit with no added success.

Jeff

1 - 8 of 8 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.