AVS Forum banner
Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
640 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I think I already know the answer to this question, but I'm going to ask anyway. I have the Dish 6000 as part of my HT system in the living room. Well, my master bedroom is located on the other side of the wall that my HT sits on. I was thinking about running another cable from my Dish 6000, thru the wall to my bedroom tv, and then just using the RF remote that came with the 6000 (since I use the Pronto for the HT) to change channels while in the bedroom. This would allow me to have free TV in the bedroom without having to buy a basic package from the local cable company, or buy another Dish receiver and pay $5 extra per month, or whatever it is, for a 2nd receiver. My question is, will I be sacrificing signal quality in the living room if I do this? As I said, I have the Dish 6000, and do subscribe to HDTV, so I obviously don't want to do anything that's going to degrade the signal. What do you guys think?

·
Registered
5,019 Posts
The question becomes - how are you going to get the output from the 6000 back to your bedroom ? This is especially relevant because the 6000 does NOT come with a RF modulator of its own, like the non-HDTV models do.

There are several options, depending on what you want to do.

#1 - If you have a stereo A/V cables strung between the 2 locations (even if only composite video), this would be the best.

#2 - You can use those 2.4 GHz video senders. These are subject to EM interfernce sometimes ( from microwave ovens ...)

#3 - There is a similar product that uses phone wiring, commonly called Leapfrog

#4 - You can buy external RF modulators. These can range in price from $30-$50 all the way to $250 for a single channel stereo. You can spend even more for multi-channel Stereo units. These would only require RG59/RG6 cable. (EM free, but...)

------------------

You CAN put antennas on your owned and/or controlled property...

http://www.fcc.gov/csb/facts/otard.html

·
Registered
640 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Well, the only thing I'm wanting to do here is run a single coax cable from the Dish 6000 to the coax input on my plain ole' 20" TV in the bedroom. Will that work? I don't want stereo sound or anything, I just want to be able to watch tv in the bedroom without paying any additional $$.

·
Registered
5,019 Posts
That's what I covered in my last post - there is NO builtin jack on the 6000 that you can do that with - you would need either an external RF modulator (point #4), or you could hookup a VCR to the 6000 and use the VCR's RF output.

------------------

·
Registered
225 Posts
Assuming your bedroom tv can accept RCA connectors for audio & video, just run some RCA cables through the wall and you should be all set. If you can't drill holes in the wall, you can run 3 sets of coax cable (RG-6) along the baseboards and buy RCA connectors at Radio Shack to terminate the ends.

·
Registered
5,019 Posts

·
Registered
730 Posts
I do this. I took my old NTSC TV from my living room (replaced with an HDTV RPTV) and put it in my bedroom. I then ran a very long Composite-video/L-audio/R-audio cable down into the crawl space, towards my bedroom in the crawl space, and to and A/V/telephone outlet in the bedroom, from that outlet to the bedroom NTSC TV. This allows me to watch the end of a long movie in bed (though only in NTSC resolution).

Caveats:

1. Both TVs can only watch the same show (there is only 1 receiver).

2. The 6000 must be in SDTV mode to view anything on the NTSC set. Since the 6000 outputs only HDTV *or* SDTV, you can't watch HDTV in the living room and SDTV in the bedroom simultaneously.

·
Registered
640 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
So if I use the RCA audio/video jacks from "Output 2" on the Dish 6000, and run those to my bedroom tv, I won't be affecting the signal quality to my HT in any way?

·
Registered
5,019 Posts
The only "issue" you will run into is the fact that the 6000 outputs either the HDTV OR the S-Video/RCA connectors - not both at the same time. So, in order to watch in the bedroom, you would have to put your 6000 in SD mode.

------------------

·
Registered
640 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
**** , I didn't think about that. But I guess that would only involve a single push of the SD/HD button on the remote, yes?

[This message has been edited by Patrick G (edited 07-05-2001).]

1 - 11 of 11 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.