AVS Forum banner
1 - 3 of 3 Posts

·
Registered
415 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I have a Sony 52"XBR3 that has now been delivery delayed another 2 weeks.

A relative gave me a Samsung HD841. I haven't been able to check it out much on my tube TV. I did do the angle hack to put 1080i over component, as this player has DVI and not HDMI. I didn't feel like buying a cable for DVI-HDMI yet, since I don't know if the player is worth the trouble yet.

I plan on getting a PS3 in two months. In the meantime, is it worth it to get a Sony NS75, or whatever current ~ $100 Sony upconvert DVD player w/HDMI over the 841HD now? Or is the difference so slight that it's not worth it? Will I still want the upconverting DVD player after I get the PS3, which only does 480p?

Does that angle hack need to be done everytime I turn the player on?

Thanks!

·
Registered
670 Posts
I use my 841 in my bedroom system on a Toshiba plasma and I think it's a fine budget player. I think you should keep it and upgrade when you are ready for HD-DVD or Blu-ray. The 841 has black crush and doesn't do blacker than black over DVI, but component doesn't suffer from this and the color is more accurate also. DVI looks a little sharper, but I recommend you stick with component on this player.

The angle hack is permanent, it doesn't need to be done every time you turn it on.

·
Registered
415 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·

Quote:
Originally Posted by DidHeFocus /forum/post/0

I use my 841 in my bedroom system on a Toshiba plasma and I think it's a fine budget player. I think you should keep it and upgrade when you are ready for HD-DVD or Blu-ray. The 841 has black crush and doesn't do blacker than black over DVI, but component doesn't suffer from this and the color is more accurate also. DVI looks a little sharper, but I recommend you stick with component on this player.

The angle hack is permanent, it doesn't need to be done every time you turn it on.

Thanks - I was leaning that way. Nice to hear that the component is actually better than the DVI in this case, since I don't have a dv-hdmi cable.

1 - 3 of 3 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.