AVS Forum banner

Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
17 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Is there any problem running a progressive signal into this projector? The only thing I have is the projector and I was going to add the centerstage CS-1. Doing this I will be feeding the sony a progressive signal though, right? Just wanted to make sure before I get to far into this Home Theater thing with the wrong projector.

Thanks

Will

·
Registered
784 Posts
Will,

No problem with progressive and a 1272Q.

Progressive is [email protected]

The 1272Q will accept and resolve well over [email protected] Hz.

Actually, the CS-1 will output more than progressive. It'll do 720p, which is at or above the limit of your projector's resolution capability. Your projector will easily sync to this signal, so there will be no potential for damage or malfunction. The picture may be a little soft at 720p. But at 480p, you'll definitely be able to see scan lines 10' back from the screen. You'll want to experiment on the settings that give you the best picture.

Looks like the two will be a great match.

Enjoy!

·
Registered
17 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Thanks Tom, I was wanting to run a 106" screen, but I may go a little smaller and see what the best picture I can get will be using with the CS-1. Once again thanks for yout time and input.

Will:)

·
Registered
784 Posts
In a completely light controlled room, a 1272Q will work with a 92" wide / 106" Dia screen. Especially if you use a screen with gain. I used a Draper M2500 with my 1272Q with good results.

Smaller is probably better, though.

·
Registered
17 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
It will be in the basement. I can have 0% light if need be. There is only one 2'X3' window down there. As for a screen with gain. How much do you think ? Any type? I was thinking about a dalite with 1.1 gain matte white fixed screen 106" diagnal. Sound good or would you think I may need one with more gain? Or a better or different kind of surface.

Thanks

Will

·
Registered
784 Posts
Will,

Matte white screens are ideal in completely light controlled rooms. With a 1272Q and that size screen, I wouldn't go below 1.5 gain. Above that, you get some hot spotting and color shifting. Some people are really sensitive to it, others don't seem to care. Depends on how much old academy black and white stuff you watch. If you don't watch any B&W, you could get away with a higher gain screen. Higher gain screens also work better in non-light controlled rooms.

I used a 2.2 gain screen with my 1272Q and was able to get over 11 ft-lamberts at peak white after a lot of tweaking. Plenty bright. With a 1.5 gain screen, you'll be around 8, a little low but OK. With a 1.1 gain screen, you'll be under 6. Not bright enough unless you go with the next smaller screen size.

Right now, I'm using a Sony G-70 with a Stewart Studiotek 130 1.3 gain matte white screen. I wouldn't go back to a high gain screen.

I'm sure there's a happy medium for you around 1.5 to 1.8 gain. Or a smaller screen.

You might try posting in the screens forum to see what other folks have to say. This is a fascinating and somewhat controversial subject.

1 - 6 of 6 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.