AVS Forum banner
Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 20 of 37 Posts

·
Registered
1,936 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Since just about every rich celeb seems to have a "Media Room" in their mansions these days, I was wondering if anyone knew if any celebs ever joined us to learn about HT?

Now I know that most would rather spend a small fortune paying a pro to set up their system and they probably have no clue about their equipment except for how to push the X10 button on the wall to fire it all up, it's worth a thought.

Anyone aware of any?

·
Registered
5,605 Posts
Most Hollywood stars have mini-commerical theaters and pay for custom installation, so I doubt they need us. I have seen several celebrity theaters in AVI. Is Sam Runco a celeb? He comes in the forum.

·
Registered
5,605 Posts
I knew a guy, that said he knew a guy that helped install Bill Gates personal theater. He said everyone had security badges to get in, tons of seats and a great sound system. Not sure the size of the screen.

·
Registered
109 Posts
My brother-in-law's sister's boyfriend says he worked with a guy who had a friend that helped install a theater for a celeb. I think he said it was Kevin Bacon. Damn, that six degrees of Kevin Bacon even works in AVS:)

·
Registered
1,358 Posts
Quote:
No. I don't think so.
:D come on, Guy! I'm a fan! :D

I think that even if we did have a celeb or two on here on a regular basis, they would enjoy the anonymity too much to reveal who they were...

·
Registered
3,189 Posts
There was one director that asked a question and someone responded to the effect of .... " are you the that directed x movie" and the response was yes and the thread got a bit off topic from then on. I can't recall the director but he was not a mainstream director. I remember the thread from about 2 years ago and the question was kind of an off the wall equipment related question.

·
Registered
1,936 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
Cool! Can anyone remember and find the thread?

·
Registered
2,320 Posts
I remember that thread. I didn't recognize the name, but told a film buff friend about it, and he said that it was a fake name that people put on films they direct when they're not proud of what they've done.

I don't remember exactly what movie it was, but I think the one they threw out to the guy was Tron. (this is in no way a personal attack against TRON - I've never seen the movie - just telling the story as I remember it...) I don't think the guy was pretending to be Steven Lisburg (isn't he the real director of Tron? I forget...), but people who realized the story behind that name were just having fun.

Unless... I'm remembering a completely different thread from you.

·
Registered
5,605 Posts
TRON rocks, especially the re-mastered Dolby Digital disc. It sounds and looks as if it were made yesterday.

·
Registered
3,189 Posts
Quote:
Originally posted by MrSquid
I remember that thread. I didn't recognize the name, but told a film buff friend about it, and he said that it was a fake name that people put on films they direct when they're not proud of what they've done.

I don't remember exactly what movie it was, but I think the one they threw out to the guy was Tron. (this is in no way a personal attack against TRON - I've never seen the movie - just telling the story as I remember it...) I don't think the guy was pretending to be Steven Lisburg (isn't he the real director of Tron? I forget...), but people who realized the story behind that name were just having fun.

Unless... I'm remembering a completely different thread from you.
Mr Squid, it is a different thread I'm thinking of. This director used his real name. But since you mention Tron .... Michael Fremer aka Grooves have "graced" these forums with his highly opinionated and at times rude and obnoxious posts. I believe he has been banned. Michael Fremer is / was a reviewer for Stereophile, SGHT and some other mags and worked on Tron. Wouldn't call him a celeberity though.

·
Registered
1,936 Posts
Discussion Starter · #15 ·
Quote:
Originally posted by MrSquid
Then I assume the fake name was: "Alan Smithee"

I say that because the use of that name is common in lame movies. See imdb.com's definition below...

" 'Alan Smithee' is a common pseudonym for directors whose film was clearly taken away from her/him and recut heavily against her/his wishes in ways that completely altered the film.

The Directors Guild contract generally does not permit a director to remove her/his name from films. The Directors Guild has been striving for decades to establish the director as the "author" of a film, and part of getting the credit for the successes is taking the blame for the failures. The only exceptions they make are cases in which a film was clearly taken away from a director and recut heavily against her/his wishes in ways that completely altered the film. Directors are required to appeal to the Guild in such cases. If the appeal is successful, their name is replaced by Alan Smithee. That is the only permissible pseudonym for a director. So if you notice a film directed by Alan Smithee, it is certain it is not what its director intended, and likely that it is not any good."

·
Registered
616 Posts
I heard several years ago William Shatner visited some Star Trek web sites, but people kept flaming him not believing it was really him, so he quit doing it.

I got a personal reply from obscure director Herschell Gordon Lewis regarding one of his more obscure films for the "what films were made in your hometown?" thread.

·
Registered
2,320 Posts
Quote:
Originally posted by Markito
Then I assume the fake name was: "Alan Smithee"
Yep - that was it. For some reason I could remember that it was Alan something.

·
Registered
2,270 Posts
I'll let you in on a little secret. I'm actually Colin Farrel. But don't tell anyone. By the way, Brittney says hi. :D

Gus

·
Registered
1,936 Posts
Discussion Starter · #19 ·
Yeah, you wish on both accounts!

·
Registered
1,936 Posts
Discussion Starter · #20 ·
I know you're lying, because Brittney would never say, "Hi!" to a bunch of geeks like us.:D

1 - 20 of 37 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.