Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
153 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
OK....

For the past ten years..... we've had the Bose accoustimass 10 system. It has done us well as we like the "virtually out of sight" feature and they sounded good to my wife and me. About 4 years ago we purchased a velodyne subwoofer to give us a big bottom end as the Bose did not quite cut it in that department. Though the Bose do sound pretty good to us with surround sound movies they are not very good at all when listening to music, particuarly SACDs.

Today....we are setting up a home theater with a Panasonic AE700 projector, a 92" diagonal screen...and wondering now....should I do something about the speakers? I know there is a decided bias against Bose here, but I'm not sure which way to go.....

Here's my request.....the room is only 15 x 14 with a low ceiling at about 7'. Is there a speaker system out there that does both movies and music well? I would lean toward another "small" speaker system and since we've already invested a good amount for the projector (still on preorder by the way), new carpet and furniture and screen, I would like to keep the costs down to around $1k + or -

I've read a lot of post on the mirads of options in small speakers that costs much less than Bose but are a lot better than Bose. The specific requirement I have is that the speaker is good for movies and music. I would like something we could mount on the wall too.

Thanks,

Bob

·
Registered
11 Posts
You may want to audition some Energy (take5) speakers.

I have listened to these in the showroom, and for small speakers they really kick. They may be in your price range as well.

Take your time and enjoy listening to as many speakers as you can.

·
Registered
672 Posts
You can also recoup your costs by selling the Bose speakers on ebay. They seem to do well there.

·
Registered
75 Posts
After reading this forum for a couple of weeks I came to the conclusion that

it is best to have "small speakers" with >5 1/2'' cones. So I invested in a

set of NHT SB2s for the mains, SB1s for the rear, SC1 for the center and

SW10 for the sub. While they SB1s and SB2s are not small they can be wall

mounted - I am still to do that. A local store had this as a package for $1000.

My room is about 22' x 15' and these speaker certainly call fill the room with

music - in fact they sound best with the volume a little high.

I bought a JVC RX-DV31SL - integrated DVD Receiver - very inexpensive

on the web - to save space. It plays DVD-Audio but not SACD. Man does

the Hotel California DVD-Audio sound great !

sam

·
Registered
182 Posts
Quote:
Originally posted by BobP
OK....

Today....we are setting up a home theater with a Panasonic AE700 projector, a 92" diagonal screen...and wondering now....should I do something about the speakers? I know there is a decided bias against Bose here, but I'm not sure which way to go.....

Here's my request.....the room is only 15 x 14 with a low ceiling at about 7'. Is there a speaker system out there that does both movies and music well? I would lean toward another "small" speaker system and since we've already invested a good amount for the projector (still on preorder by the way), new carpet and furniture and screen, I would like to keep the costs down to around $1k + or -

I've read a lot of post on the mirads of options in small speakers that costs much less than Bose but are a lot better than Bose. The specific requirement I have is that the speaker is good for movies and music. I would like something we could mount on the wall too.

Thanks,

Bob
Hmm.. a room that size does not imply you need small speakers, unless you have a ton of stuff in that room already. For

1 - 5 of 5 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.