AVS Forum banner
Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
996 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I presently have Dish with the two dish setup. What hardware do I need to now get DirecTV HDTV? I understand I need a DTC100. But do I need a new dish?

I want to continue to get Dish at the same time.

-Jym-

·
Registered
399 Posts
There are several threads on this topic in the HDTV hardware forum, most of them recent. Do a little digging and you will find lots of info.

Here are two sites where you can get info on what is involved:

My own article on converting a DirecTV oval Para Todos dish for dual D*/E* use with my Dish 300 for HD @61.5 (soon to be updated):
http://www.techweenies.com/dss-1.shtml

Kevin Timmerman's excellent page showing everything you could possibly want to know about wiring up the DSA8900E for D* and/or E*:
http://www.geocities.com/dbs_tech/dishes/dsa8900e.htm

·
Registered
272 Posts
Mongo,

If I replace my Dish 300 dish that I have at 61.5 with a DirecTV oval dish, do you think it will help with signal strength? I get about 80% now, but I wouldn't mind having something better...

·
Registered
787 Posts
the diagrams on both sites are esxcellent but they require the use of a directv oval dish.

Jym's situation is identical to mine where I have dish 500 oval as our primary dish. As of yet Ive not heard any one recieveing the 101 bird using a dish 500. recieving 101 seems to be a requirement for at least the first time authorizing the card and getting the system to work, at least with the newer dtv recvrs.

Since there is no easy nor econimical way to replace the lnbfs on the dish 500, for all intents and purposes, the diagrams and setup instrcutions on both those sites are meaningless to us dish 500 folks.

Im currently working on getting a smaller round dtv dish to get in the 101 sat and download the auth into my card and then disconnect it.(hopefully) If you have your 61.5 dish, you can reaim to the 101 bird and use that to get your auth and guide in the beggining. Mine is on the wrong side of the building so I cant do that w/mine.

Getting dtv if you have a dish system is not as easy as pluggin in the spare 119 feed into a dtv recvr. (I beleive this only works if you have a dtc 100 and or a preauthorized smart card).

I will post my results as soon as I can get it all to work!

K

·
Registered
399 Posts
Quote:
Originally posted by DWhite:
Mongo,

I appreciate the pics on your website. I have been searching for a month or two to try and find a way to split the 119 dual lnb into 4 so I can get 119 programming for Dish and 119 HD programming on DirecTV. I will look for the splitters you talked about. Do you by chance have a web addy to order those from or a part# for the splitter?

Now if I could just find a way to get an lnb mounted on the dish for ExpressVu I would be set. If anyone has any ideas about that please let me know.

Thanks again,

DWhite
I will have new pics this weekend showing the 4th LNB in place for ExpressVu. I did it just for the heck of it to see if it could be done and because I have an extra PRO301 (EVU3000) kicking around the house. All I get is CNN and a few INFO channels but it works and I got a signal in the 70's.

I am also going to write up a parts list and links to a site where you can get all the stuff online. Kevin Timmerman also gave me permission to reproduce some of his great diagrams so I can show exactly what I did and how it is all hooked up.

The site where I got the splitters is www.accessorywarehouse.com. They have all manner of cool DBS stuff there.

Anyway, give me a couple of days to get the new article written and the new pics up. And thanks to all of you who have visited the site and recommended it to your friends.

Mongo

·
Registered
399 Posts
Quote:
Originally posted by Pericles:
Mongo,

If I replace my Dish 300 dish that I have at 61.5 with a DirecTV oval dish, do you think it will help with signal strength? I get about 80% now, but I wouldn't mind having something better...

No, I don't think you have anything to gain by doing that. 80% is great for that bird. I don't even get that.

The idea of the oval dish is that it can focus on more than one point in space. The shape of the bowl allows more than one LNBF to be positioned in what is more or less a straight line across the dish but focus on 3 (or 4) different places along an arc at the horizon.

I don't think you would gain much by sticking a single LNB in the center position and pointing it at 61.5. The LNB for 110 is in the center position and it does not have any more signal strength than it did when I had the Dish 500 pointing at that bird. If you want more gain, you would need a larger round dish.

·
Registered
255 Posts
Mongo,

I appreciate the pics on your website. I have been searching for a month or two to try and find a way to split the 119 dual lnb into 4 so I can get 119 programming for Dish and 119 HD programming on DirecTV. I will look for the splitters you talked about. Do you by chance have a web addy to order those from or a part# for the splitter?

Now if I could just find a way to get an lnb mounted on the dish for ExpressVu I would be set. If anyone has any ideas about that please let me know.

Thanks again,

DWhite

[This message has been edited by DWhite (edited 09-20-2001).]

1 - 8 of 8 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.