AVS Forum banner

Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 20 of 57 Posts

·
Registered
170 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
HDNET has inspired me to consider adding a DirecTV system to my home theatre system. I already have the Dish system installed with one dish pointed at 110/119 and one dish pointed at 61.5. My basic question is what do I need to do add DirecTV HDTV to my lineup. I assume I will need an HDTV capable DirecTV receiver (not sure which one) but will I need to add another dish? Does DirecTV HDTV come off of its 119 satellite? If so, do I need to get the elliptical dish to pick up 101 even if I don't want DirecTV's non-HDTV channels? Finally, what sort of hardward would I need to be able to switch between Dish and DirecTV on my TV (as I only have one component set of HDTV inputs)?

Any information would be greatly appreciated.

------------------

"What we have here, is a failure to broadcast HDTV."

[This message has been edited by Sarahlea (edited 09-04-2001).]

·
Registered
1,100 Posts
Sarahlea,

The signal for DirecTV 199 demo channel and 509 HBO-DT are located on the 119 bird. You would need the oval dish if you want to receive the channel guide or any of the other DirecTV channels. If you don't want the others then the round dish would work just as well. The alignment would be a little difficult due the setup instructions are for the 101 bird. I imagine that the Dish instructions for the 119 bird would work just as well seeing that D* & E* use the same bird - different transponders.

·
Registered
708 Posts
I was told that if you have a "spare" feed from your DISH 500 twin, dual or quad LNBF all you need to do is run a cable to a direct tv HD receiver and you should be able get channel 199, direct tv's HD channel.

·
Registered
170 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Thanks for the replies.

Unfortunately, Rudy, your link does not reveal a dual Dish Network and DirecTV application. The only thing I saw was multiple dish/receiver combinations for each separately.

Ken, I believe my current satellite dish would already be alligned on the 119 as I pick that up currently with my Dish system.

Soycrema, I don't believe I have an extra feed currently available from my 110/119 dish. Are there any switches (or other types of hardware) that can be used to "create" an extra feed off of the dish? I currently use an SW-21 switch to combine in the 61.5 satellite feed to my system but that is it.

Ultimately, the easiest thing to do (assuming the current dish pointed at 110/119 works for DirecTV) is to be able to "switch" the satellite dish feed from the default Dish Network receiver to a newly purchased DirecTV receiver when I wanted to see HDNET. This could be accomplished by physically unscrewing the satellite wire on the back of my Dish Network receiver and screwing it into the back of my DirecTV receiver, but it would be nice if there was some sort of switch (automatic or otherwise) whereby I could make the change while sitting on my couch. Is there one and would this work?

Also, it would be nice to have someway to combine the component out from the Dish Network receiver and the component out from the DirecTV receiver into one set of inputs for the back of my TV. Is there such a combiner?

Thanks for your input so far.

------------------

[This message has been edited by Sarahlea (edited 09-05-2001).]

·
Registered
117 Posts
I have an oval dish with only one lnb on it for DirectPC service. How and what I need for getting HDNet.

Please help

Thanks very much

SI

·
Premium Member
LG 55" C9 OLED, Yamaha RX-A660, M&K S-125, S-80, MX-90, Windows Media Center 4K HTPC, TiVo Bolt, X1
45,623 Posts
Sarahlea,

The link does have dual configs, check the 8900E link. The issue for you may be this is based on the 8900E dish, and you already have the Dish Network equipment.

------------------

"Better living thru modern, expensive electronics devices"

tm

[This message has been edited by Ken H (edited 09-05-2001).]

·
Registered
170 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Thanks Ken. After further investigation, the link does help. However, it seems to always assume I want the 101 satellite (which I don't think I do). Nevertheless, this should help.

------------------

·
Registered
1,888 Posts
Quote:
I imagine that the Dish instructions for the 119 bird would work just as well seeing that D* & E* use the same bird - different transponders.
Just to clarify that EchoStar & DirecTV DO NOT share a satellite (Bird) at any orbital slot! They do share the 119 orbital slot but each has their own satellites.

------------------

------------------
My DVD/LD List My Equipment List

·
Registered
769 Posts
Sarahlea,

I'm in the same situation as you. If you find a way to get it working, please let me know... Ditto for me, I will post here if I get an answer.

Thanks,

Sean

·
Registered
1,864 Posts
Saralea and Sean,

If you currently have DISH with the Dish 500 satellite dish then you have two feeds from the 119 and two feeds from the 110.

You can buy a quality and I want to stress that word "QUALITY" DBS splitter from companies like Monster, Receton and Leviton. You need to make sure that there will be no signal loss from the split.

The all you do is split one of the 119 feeds going into the switch (be it the SW21, SW44, etc) and attach one of the "split ends back to the switch while the other goes to the DirecTV STB.

The only programming on the DTV 119 sat is preminum movie channels like HBO, Showtime, Cinemax, etc...and their HDTV.

Remember.....a quality splitter. They can run up to $50 so don't be cheap.

Lee

·
Registered
170 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
To clarify,

Currently I have the 110/119 satellite dish that combines the respective 110 and 119 satellites into one feed. That feed enters an SW-21 switch with the feed from a 61.5 satellite dish. The combined feed then enters the house and travels to the back of my DISH 6000 receiver.

What would happen if I just unscrewed the feed from the back of the 6000 receiver and screwed it into the back of a DTC 100? Can the DTC 100 work with the SW-21 switch in place? I suspect that it can't but I am interested in other input.

If it can't work with the SW-21 switch, then I assume I will need to split the 110/119 feed before it gets to the SW-21 switch and run a separate line in to the house to the back of the DTC 100. If I do this, then the DTC 100 would have access to the 119 DTV bird only. What programming is available off of the 119 DTV bird. I assume HDNET and HBOHD, but is there anything else?

·
Registered
272 Posts
Someone mentioned getting DirecTV for $6 a month. Is that some special promo? I am also considering getting a basic package from them in order to get this Hdnet channel. Does the dtc100 work with Dish LNBs?

·
Registered
139 Posts
Lee - do I have this correct:

I have a Dish500 with 2 Dual LNB's. I also have a Dish at 61.5 with a Dual. Thus, I have 6 pieces of Coax coming from my dishes. These go into an SW64, which feeds my receivers. You're saying that I can take one of the 119 feeds and split it before it gets to the switch, then send one end back to the switch, and the other end directly into a DirecTV receiver?

If so, that would be fabulous, especially if it just ~$7 month.. The only annoyance would be changing the cables on the tv's HDTV input depending on which receiver I'm using..

Correct?

Thanks,

Frank.

·
Registered
505 Posts
In this thread: http://www.avsforum.com/ubb/Forum11/HTML/015489.html

Mongo says that you can add a third LNB to the center of a oval DirectTV dish (101, 119) to allow it to receive the 110. He feels that you can use this single dish with the Dish network at 61.5 to receive all of the E* and D* programming. He has not reported on the success yet.

I too am interested in augmenting my Dish setup with a minimal D* setup to get the HDNet. Let me know if either of you get a solution.

Thanks

------------------

Gary

STOP DVI/HDCP!

DVI/HDCP! ~= HD-DIVX!!!

DO NOT SUPPORT JVC or anyone else who supports this!

·
Registered
799 Posts
Steve McWilliams,

Yes, I suppose another round dish pointing at 101* would do the trick. I was hoping to get by with just two dishes. The 61.5* bird has the Dish HD programming (and some foreign language stuff, I think).

So then the setup would be one oval dish for Dish and DirecTV, one round for 101* and a second round for 61.5*.

[This message has been edited by weldon (edited 09-07-2001).]

·
Registered
505 Posts
If Mongo is successful the best setup would be a total of two dishes (not three) One D* oval with added center LNB that would obtain signal from 101 110 and 119. Then the second dish would be for 61.5

Gary

------------------

Gary

STOP DVI/HDCP!

DVI/HDCP! ~= HD-DIVX!!!

DO NOT SUPPORT JVC or anyone else who supports this!

·
Registered
45 Posts
Check out http://www.18inch.com . Click on "View/order our products", and you'll see plenty of wiring diagrams for combination dish/directv setups.

[This message has been edited by ciamac (edited 09-07-2001).]

[This message has been edited by ciamac (edited 09-07-2001).]

·
Registered
708 Posts
Lee, here's mu situation, I need your advise!

I have a Dish 500 with a "QUAD" LNBF Out of this thing, two feeds go into non-HD Dish receivers and a third one goes to a SW-21 switch along with a feed from my 61.5 and then it connects to my HD-Dish 6000 receiver.

Now, I have a spare feed from my QUAD LNBF. Could I run a coax from it directly to a Direct TV receiver and be able to get channel 199 from Direct TV? or do I still need some kind of splitter?

Thank you!

1 - 20 of 57 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.