AVS Forum banner
1 - 20 of 20 Posts

·
Registered
Joined
·
506 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I currently have Dual ULS-15's in my ht room. It's a large room, about 4500 cubic feet, ht on one side, bar area on the other. I really like the duals, but I keep wondering if I should add two more and have the Quad set up. I have the gain on the subs a little above 10 o'clock, just under halfway, and I think that might be a little too high and I think I bottomed out the other day. If the gain is set lower, I am not happy with the bass, and the subs are not matched to my mains, 75db. Am I crazy, or is my room too big for just two subs?

Here are a few old pics of the room. The subs are my old Jamo c80's, my Hsu's are now set up in those spots. I will try to get some new pics soon, I will be stuck at work all day Thursday, Friday and most of Saturday, but hope to have time Saturday night for new pics.
Attachment 129830

Attachment 129831

 

·
Registered
Joined
·
217 Posts
If you can afford it go for the quads.
With 4 15's you could place them all next to each other like slowcar with his quads and have lots of gain or you could spread them through out the room and evenly distribute the bass. Maybe two on each side of the room. Plus you have wireless so that helps with placement.:
Some measurements of the frequency response of your room would help. http://www.avsforum.com/avs-vb/showthread.php?t=1092343

You could also invest in a eq to aid you.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
1,164 Posts
Your room while not small is also not enourmous. Before you go and throw another 2K at your problem you may want to first figure out exactly what it is you're missing. What is the SPL you're dealing with?


My guess? You need to spend some time measuring. I suggest Room EQ Wizard to get a handle on what is happening and play with the placement of the two subwoofers you have. Obviously 2 more subs can give more output but improper placement could make the problem worse than it is. It might be that the best solution is to just add a HSU MBM.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
1,699 Posts
I understand your desire to add subs. It is a primal man thing. I went through the same process from one HSU ULS-15 to two. I did not gain any SPL in room. Did I gain headroom, sure I guess.


I would suggest you get REW and see what is going on in your room. It is easy to use if you give it a few hours. I got an external sound card at Best Buy for $60 to use with my laptop. I use my radioshack SPL meter as a mic. The software is free. With it you can see if your sub placement is good or bad. You don't guess or crawl the room, you can see issues and opportunities.


Before you drop a couple grand spend the $60-100 and get REW. It will show acoustic problems that could cause the driver to be overdriven. If you have the equipment to run REW you can also make sure the subs are set evenly.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
506 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·

Quote:
Originally Posted by t6902wf /forum/post/15560486


I understand your desire to add subs. It is a primal man thing. I went through the same process from one HSU ULS-15 to two. I did not gain any SPL in room. Did I gain headroom, sure I guess.


I would suggest you get REW and see what is going on in your room. It is easy to use if you give it a few hours. I got an external sound card at Best Buy for $60 to use with my laptop. I use my radioshack SPL meter as a mic. The software is free. With it you can see if your sub placement is good or bad. You don't guess or crawl the room, you can see issues and opportunities.


Before you drop a couple grand spend the $60-100 and get REW. It will show acoustic problems that could cause the driver to be overdriven. If you have the equipment to run REW you can also make sure the subs are set evenly.

Thanks Bill. It makes sense to do that instead of spending a lot more money. I am not too familiar with that software, but I will give it a try.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
506 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Bill,

Is there a sound card you recommend? Or specs that one should have? I have a Dell laptop that's a few years old. I noticed there were a few on Best Buy's website, but am not sure what I would need. Thanks.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
1,699 Posts

·
Registered
Joined
·
146 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by t6902wf /forum/post/15560486


I understand your desire to add subs. It is a primal man thing. I went through the same process from one HSU ULS-15 to two. I did not gain any SPL in room. Did I gain headroom, sure I guess.


I would suggest you get REW and see what is going on in your room. It is easy to use if you give it a few hours. I got an external sound card at Best Buy for $60 to use with my laptop. I use my radioshack SPL meter as a mic. The software is free. With it you can see if your sub placement is good or bad. You don't guess or crawl the room, you can see issues and opportunities.


Before you drop a couple grand spend the $60-100 and get REW. It will show acoustic problems that could cause the driver to be overdriven. If you have the equipment to run REW you can also make sure the subs are set evenly.

You should be OK with what you have your seating position is about 8-9 feet from the subs.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
29 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by mmarki /forum/post/15589719


I also started to look eq's. Is the anti mode 8033 worth looking into for my situation?

I'm running dual uls-15's with the anti-mode. I didn't buy it because my subs were lacking. I just wanted better sound with as little work as possible. Bass feels tighter. I don't know how to describe it, but when a blast starts, it ends the way it should. The sound seems more precise. I haven't experimented with the lift yet, but don't feel the need to. I've only had it for about a week, but that's what I've noticed thus far.


I have my gain set at 12:00 o'clock and +3db on my receiver.


In the future, I will use REW once my addition is complete and I have more placement options. As of now, I have the subs flanking my TV with Ascends 340SE's all around. I'm good.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
1,699 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by mmarki /forum/post/15589719


I also started to look eq's. Is the anti mode 8033 worth looking into for my situation?

I don't think you really know your situation yet. With REW I learned that I don't need EQ, my frequency response is pretty smooth without it. Run REW and wee what is going on. If you have a lot of peaks you might consider it after you have moved the subs around to see if you can improve the response with placement.


If you are considering Antimode, you may want to wait until the SVS EQ1 is out and we get some reports on it.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
15,020 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by t6902wf /forum/post/15593473


If you are considering Antimode, you may want to wait until the SVS EQ1 is out and we get some reports on it.

I am pretty sure the SVS EQ1 would do a better job....but it is also more than 2.5 times the cost.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
506 Posts
Discussion Starter · #15 ·
Sorry, I have been away from the forum for a little while. I haven't done anything with the subs yet, I have been really busy at work and haven't had time to watch movies, let alone play around with the subs. Right now I am going to stick with what I have.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
1,708 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by cschang /forum/post/15593601


I am pretty sure the SVS EQ1 would do a better job....but it is also more than 2.5 times the cost.

For me the Svs Eq1 is probally overkill for my setup. Co$t more then my sub. But for someone who has quad Uls15 that's probally what I would get.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
1,586 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by mmarki /forum/post/15558917


I currently have Dual ULS-15's in my ht room. It's a large room, about 4500 cubic feet, ht on one side, bar area on the other. I really like the duals, but I keep wondering if I should add two more and have the Quad set up. I have the gain on the subs a little above 10 o'clock, just under halfway, and I think that might be a little too high and I think I bottomed out the other day. If the gain is set lower, I am not happy with the bass, and the subs are not matched to my mains, 75db. Am I crazy, or is my room too big for just two subs?

Here are a few old pics of the room. The subs are my old Jamo c80's, my Hsu's are now set up in those spots. I will try to get some new pics soon, I will be stuck at work all day Thursday, Friday and most of Saturday, but hope to have time Saturday night for new pics.
Attachment 129830

Attachment 129831

How big is your screen? I am looking to build a screen and don't want to over do the size.



tony
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
506 Posts
Discussion Starter · #18 ·
The screen in 92" from Carada. Great company to work with, it's my first screen, but I am very happy with it.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
1,586 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by mmarki /forum/post/15869544


The screen in 92" from Carada. Great company to work with, it's my first screen, but I am very happy with it.

What model did you get (Criterion or Precsion)? Also brilliant white, classic, or high contrast.


Tony
 
1 - 20 of 20 Posts
Top