AVS Forum banner
1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·

Few years back, got a great deal on an Epson 705HD for our outdoor movie nights.  (was given a 30'x40' new movie screen for a local theater, shipped wrong size.)  I'd been wanting a big screen for downstairs and was awaiting a good deal on an HDTV.  In the process, I thought, heck I could do a projector setup for less $$ and get a bigger screen!

So, here I am.  I took the projector and a bed sheet downstairs to play with it and see if it is something we want to pursue.......the resounding response is "yes".  Even from the missus!

So understanding that this particular projector is weak on contrast, yet very bright (2500 lumens), through my research have seen recommendations of using a gray screen to boost contrast and having enough lumens should be ok.  

I am wide open for recommendations.  Here are my thoughts and situation:

I understand "good image" is relative and our family is not filled with any discriminating videophiles, so take that for what its worth.  I'm looking at somewhere around 100" diag. screen.  I am not intimidated by painting or building any structure.  Here are the options I have considered:

1.  DIY screen with BOC to start and if need to paint in the future........can do.

2.  DIY screen with Flexigray or another recommended gray screen.......and could paint later if need be?

3.  DIY screen with sheetrock or MDF painted.

4.  Painted wall, but prefer option #3 over this.

5.  Use the PVC theater screen material I was given.  I have extra I cut off for the outdoor screen.  (it's perforated and think the name is "Silverlight" on the manufacturers tab)  Concerns are seeing the perforations at that close of viewing distance.

Economics is definitely a factor, but realizing for the cost of a flexigray screen, I could paint a BOC or hard panel, I am not sure which route to take.  

Specs:

1.  The image on the white sheet now looks ok to me, I do notice the blacks a little light, but not horrible if that gives you any reference

2.  Room is controlled lighting with two windows 25ft away that curtains block most light.

3.  Ceiling height 8', viewing distance about 9ft.

Last question is aspect ratio.  The projector native is 16:10, but nearly all content we view is 16:9 and have the projector aspect set to that.  Is there any reason to build the screen 16:10?

I know there are very technical aspects to recommending setups, light measurements, etc.....I like the idea of BOC with ability to paint, but didn't know if with the epson, I would be disappointed out of the box.  If so, I'm fine to go with gray material, or solid screen and paint.

Thank you for all the help in advance.

·
DIY Granddad (w/help)
24,741 Posts
Where are you located?
Quote:
I am wide open for recommendations. Here are my thoughts and situation:

I understand "good image" is relative and our family is not filled with any discriminating videophiles, so take that for what its worth.

Yeah but......when they see something that goes beyond their imagined expectations, how much Mo' Bedder is that?
Quote:
1. The image on the white sheet now looks ok to me, I do notice the blacks a little light, but not horrible if that gives you any reference.

Sounds mundane in the least, so why not raise you hopes and expectations and let the correct choice in a Screen paint bring the Black Performance level up to that of far more expensive PJs? No Bed sheet can get that done, and the Silverlight Acoustic material will show both the holes and Morie patterns.

A solid sheet of Expanded PVC sheeting applied flat to the wall, painted with a 1.2 Gain advanced DIY Screen paint, and trimmed with Velvet Wrapped 3.25" Base will look very classy.

You could instead build a Frame and stretch a good material such as Carl's Flexi-White, and paint onto it immediately......you won't want to wait to get what can easily be obtained. Great satisfaction on a budget. (...BTW...you want to start out white if you want to consider painting onto it later....)

The PJ scales content to 16:10 format so if you think you want to make the Screen that little bit larger (.10) you can do so without worrying that the image will look stretched vertically.

Iffin' it waz 'sup ta me.....I'd set you down the road to a "Solid" and have you sprayin' on SF v2.5 3.0 because i know you and yours will go "Simian CaCa" over it.

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Thank you MississippiMan!

First I'm located in the great metro of Branson, MO (that's SW MO boondocks for those of you geographically challenged;).

Well, after researching, I certainly respect your recommendations and will heed them as well.

So this leads to follow up questions of course

1. What are specs I need to look for on PVC sheets. Quick search revealed many options on thickness.

2. Have a good source for the PVC sheet?

3. Never painted PVC, is there a how-to or tips to offer?

4. Where can I get the formula for the above mentioned color? (Found it....but may need help in clarification once I get there)

5. I have the original Wagner, but much prefer my Wagner Conversion gun http://www.gleempaint.com/hvcongunnew.html when spraying latex. However, I'll take your advice on which gun and what tip I need.

I'm excited to have a plan now!

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Just a follow up. If I go with a "solid". What are advantages of the PVC sheet or disadvantages versus a 1/4 MDF? Just nervous about painting onto PVC. I've painted MDF with success over the years.

·
DIY Granddad (w/help)
24,741 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by elrod73  /t/1504434/have-epson-705hd-which-route-for-screen#post_24050505

Just a follow up. If I go with a "solid". What are advantages of the PVC sheet or disadvantages versus a 1/4 MDF? Just nervous about painting onto PVC. I've painted MDF with success over the years.

MDF needs to be Sealed / Primed on both sides: Expanded PVC needs no priming being specifically designed as "Sign Board" for painting upon

MDF is very much more heavier than E-PVC at any given size and/or thickness, and is subject to potential chipping and breakage much more easily.

MDF is more limited in size availability....E-PVC can come in sizes up yo 78" x 12', although the largest common size is 120' x 60"

All the above said, if all due care and prepping is taken, MDF is a viable choice.

Post note:

If going with Sintra or another less expensive equivalent (Kometex or Pearl-lite), you want to get it in 6 mm thickness

·
Registered
433 Posts
Hey elrod73,

I am running a Epson 705hd for my primary display. It runs from first thing in the morning to night. I have gone through a few versions of screens and with the info from MississippiMan, pb_maxxx and others I am currently using a SilverFire 2.5 tinted to 2.5. There are a few pics of it in the SilverFire thread. I have used BOC and it was dull and also a pain to paint, I am using a 4 x 8 sheet of Masonite hardboard screwed to a wood frame. Ambient light performance is excellent. I have my projector set to 16 x 9 to match my output devices.

·
Registered
2,564 Posts
i know there are menards in missourri.. not sure if they are near branson though.

so if you want a 100" screen or less... go with the menard's 1/4" melamine. it's a 1/4" hardboard covered on both side with pvc/melamine with a surface texture almost exacly like sintra/komatex... making it easy to paint/spray.

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
Thank you for all the tips fellas. I actually travel daily and the town I'm in this week has a menards. I'll go check it out.

So MM, it about $70 for the correct tip to spray through the conversion gun. For that $, may just go pick up a new wagner control spray. Which model do you prefer?

Splatee,

Thanks for the info. Good to know.

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·

Quote:
Originally Posted by MississippiMan  /t/1504434/have-epson-705hd-which-route-for-screen#post_24051618

elrod73,

That Gun is a good one, but to use it to best advantage requires a Compressor with at least 25 gal capacity, clean hoses, a Water / Rust Filter, and a 1.5 mm Tip
I have all the above except the 1.5mm tip. The closest to that they make is a 1.8. Above mentioned may just get a wagner control spray.

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
MM or others. I see everyone recommending a 1.5mm tip for spraying. I've discovered my wagner control spray does not have ability to change tip. So, my wagner conversion gun has a 1.3mm tip. I can get a 1.8mm tip for the conversion gun at about $70.

Should I just give what I got a try, and if need be get the 1.8 tip or a newer wagner double duty?

·
Registered
326 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by elrod73  /t/1504434/have-epson-705hd-which-route-for-screen#post_24053363

MM or others. I see everyone recommending a 1.5mm tip for spraying. I've discovered my wagner control spray does not have ability to change tip. So, my wagner conversion gun has a 1.3mm tip. I can get a 1.8mm tip for the conversion gun at about $70.

Should I just give what I got a try, and if need be get the 1.8 tip or a newer wagner double duty?

!.5mm i sthe maximum recommended size for spraying dusters and MM has been preferring 1.0 mm, of late. Your tip of 1.3 mm should be fine. The important things are adjusting the flow to get fine droplet s and even spray pattern. You can looking through the threads on spraying for directions on distance from screen speed and viscosity of paint through the strainer videos and 70% overlap on each pass should lead to success..

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·

Quote:
Originally Posted by ahajr143  /t/1504434/have-epson-705hd-which-route-for-screen#post_24053724

!.5mm i sthe maximum recommended size for spraying dusters and MM has been preferring 1.0 mm, of late. Your tip of 1.3 mm should be fine. The important things are adjusting the flow to get fine droplet s and even spray pattern. You can looking through the threads on spraying for directions on distance from screen speed and viscosity of paint through the strainer videos and 70% overlap on each pass should lead to success..
Thank you!!!

The missus just expressed she may prefer a retractable screen over a fixed one..........sheesh. Glad I didn't have time to start collecting supplies today

·
DIY Granddad (w/help)
24,741 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by elrod73  /t/1504434/have-epson-705hd-which-route-for-screen#post_24052169

I have all the above except the 1.5mm tip. The closest to that they make is a 1.8. Above mentioned may just get a wagner control spray.
http://www.gleempaint.com/wagner-control-spray.html

The Original. It has a 1.5mm tip.

1 - 14 of 14 Posts